“Loved it!”

Ranked #12 of 15 Hotels in Taos
Denver, Colorado
“Loved it!”
Reviewed June 24, 2013

We had a wonderful time on our trip to NM for the Red River motorcycle rally! The staff at Sun God Lodge was fantastic, so helpful! Room was clean...small but that's all we need...and the little extras in the room and at the front desk are great! :)

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank April M

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
Concord, California
Reviewed June 17, 2013

I stayed three nights at this motel (6/10/2013 to 6/13/2013). I was assigned room 126.

I found the window unlocked, this is a ground level room.

The room is small with two night stands, but no table or desk, and one chair that is not in great shape.

The room does not have AC, it has a ceiling fan. Since it has cooled down the ceiling fan is keeping me cool.

The queen size bed is comfortable.

The carpeted area is not super clean, more attention needs to be paid behind the room furniture.

This room is too small and needs more counter space or table top space to set items on.

On the morning of June 11, 2013, I packed up my things and went to the front desk to be reassigned a room with AC (air conditioning). Yesterday, when I checked in the woman at the desk told me they would have a room with AC today when a group of people check out. They gave me room 150.

Room 150 has AC, is bigger, has a table with 2 chairs, and a ceiling fan too. It is much better than the last room, but also needs to be vacuum cleaned.

The water pressure and spray pattern in the shower needs to be improved.

Room Tip: I always check to make sure the window is locked, ~ 25% of the time I find the window unlocked.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Alan S

Travelers are raving about these Taos hotels

Reviewed May 30, 2013 via mobile

The Sun God Lodge was my fourth motel on during a recent motorcycle trip. By using Trip Advisor, I can usually find a nice motel with a decent rate wherever I travel.

The Sun God Lodge was another hit. The staff was friendly, courteous, and helpful. The room was clean and had nice furnishings. The bathroom was nice and clean although you could tell it has been around a while.

My only problem was that the internet worked for only the first hour I was there. After that, I could get a fair WiFi signal but no internet access. This happen at two of the four motels I stayed at on this trip. I called the front desk to report this but had to leave a message on their answering machine. Motels need to train their staff better that verifying the WiFi signal is only half of the verification process.

• Stayed May 2013
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed May 23, 2013

The Sun God is a great place to stay if you're in Taos for a night or two. The staff is very friendly and the rooms are clean and comfortable. We stayed there the first night of our 2-week road trip through New Mexico and Colorado (we also stayed at some really swanky hotels --- the LImelight in Aspen and La Fonda in Santa Fe) and returned for one of our last nights because we had such a pleasant experience the first time through. The price of our room was quite reasonable ($59 for a queen), and the front desk even knocked $10 off when we returned since we were repeat visitors. This is a great budget place to stay!.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 22, 2013 via mobile

This was a nice place. It was very quiet. We were in the back in a room upstairs. The air conditioning didn't work but we were only staying one night so we didn't report it. This is convenient and right across the street from Walmart and a great coffee shop.

• Stayed May 2013
California
Reviewed May 5, 2013

Interesting, quirky motel. The room was interesting, decent but not great, but with a definite southwest look. No breakfast, though they did offer free apricots in the office. Or was it peaches, but whatever, off their tree. Not new, but reasonably well kept and not too expensive for the location. Big wide open, almost park-like grounds that were very pet friendly, although it made me a little nervous as lots of the pet owners weren't cleaning up after their animals and some people were using like a picnic grounds. Internet worked but not great. I would return if I find myself in Taos again.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed April 14, 2013

We booked thru Hotwire therefore, there are no refunds. Nevertheless, we left after 15 minutes and lost our money, but it was so filthy dirty we could not stay. This room hadn't been thoroughly cleaned in over a year. There was an electrical heating unit running around the perimeter of the room that was covered in dirt. Behind the beds it was also caked with dirt, hair and God knows what else. The carpets were dirty, stains and things had been spilled (milk?) and there was a crust on the carpet between the beds. Both comforters were faded and had holes, and were also dirty. We booked a non smoking room, and had to sign something saying we'd be charged $250.00 if there was any smoking in the room. Yet both blankets, really old and faded, had multiple cigarette burns on them. Mattress springs worn out. The sheets & towels, however, we're clean. I can understand the owners are having financial problems and cannot afford to replace things, but there is no excuse for a dirty room. We paid $78.69 on Hotwire for a room that should rent for $40.00. We left and went to Comfort Suites -- spotlessly clean, a king & queen & sofa, table and kitchenette for $ 79.00. Do not even think about staying at this seedy motel.

Room Tip: Tip: choose a room at a different place
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends