“best deal”

Sagebrush Inn & Suites
Ranked #4 of 15 Hotels in Taos
Reviewed August 21, 2010

This was my second visit. The hotel is wonderful, quite, charming southwest rooms,beautiful grounds, fantastic breakfast, and all at a great price! What more could you ask for?

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled solo
There are newer reviews for Sagebrush Inn & Suites

Reviewed July 22, 2010

This is a charming hotel. The lobby and bar are terrific! The rooms are cozy but noisy if you are on the first floor, as the upper floors squeak. Get a room on the second floor if at all possible. The location is not the best and a bit far from the "action" of Taos! All in all, however, it is a great hotel for the price.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with friends
2  Thank DigsGreatHotels
Reviewed July 18, 2010

My wife and I were here for a writer's conference. Our room is in one of the newer wings -- quite large and nicely appointed. The included breakfast is quite good (by US "free breakfast included" standards), and the cleaning staff were very friendly and helpful. The pool was quite comfortable, although they don't seem to clean it or the surrounding pool deck very often. I was also surprised at the many tears and obvious wear in the pool deck, which to me indicates a lack of attention to detail. We had appetizers in the restaurant. If you go there, try the smoked trout. The entrees were the usual suspects that you see on many southwestern menus. It was almost empty on a Saturday night even though the hotel was full. At check-in I found the clerk to be officious rather than friendly.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank jkerouac110
Reviewed July 6, 2010

I have just read the comments by other travellers and feel duty bound to give my view.
We stayed in Taos last year and extended our stay at the Sagebrush Inn and wish we could have stayed longer.
It is not a 4 star hotel, but that was it's charm. Perhaps the gardens /pool could have a bit more attention but souless, Contemporary, minimal hotels are everywhere, we wanted Taos style and fond it here. The staff were so friendly and helpful. PS get used to giving your number plate if you travel to New Zealand it's manditory - it's not a big number to remember, good brain exercise?

Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 29, 2010

This letter to Sagebrush Management should sum things up:
To Management,
Regarding our recent stay at the Sagebrush Inn from 6/25-6/28 in Room 141, I would like to state that we were EXTREMELY disappointed with your establishment and the service provided by your employees. I am employed in the customer service industry and can tell you without doubt, if any of my employees treated our customers the way we were treated they would be given warning and probably find themselves unemployed. From the time we arrived until the time we left, we were treated disrespectfully and with rudeness. Upon arrival, there was great confusion about the handling of my credit/debit card, only to find out that your employee made a mistake and then could not correct it. When she asked your other employee what could be done to fix the problem, the other employee said "oh well", there's nothing we can do about it. There is such a word as empathy in the customer service industry, but not at the Sagebrush Inn. When we arrived at our room, we opened the door to a room that smelled like the crayola crayon factory. As stated when making the reservation, the room was to include a 2nd sink, a microwave, and refrigerator. We could not find any of these, so we called the front desk. They informed us to look behind the door in the bathroom. Seriously, in the "bathroom"???!!! It is disgusting and most likely against regulation to store food in a bathroom. And, there was no 2nd sink! Thinking about this now, I can't believe we ate a "free" breakfast at your establishment. Who knows where you store your food!! This brings me to the next issue...the "free" breakfast. The servers were not very attentive to the needs of the customers. We ordered coffee. No cream was brought to the table or offered. By the time we got cream, the coffee was cold. I asked a server for ketchup. By the time we got ketchup, the hashbrowns were gone, because the server was too busy clearing off tables and there weren't even customers waiting for a table. To top off the experience, I didn't realize it was required to slam down chairs and coffee cups to set a table, as one of your servers continued to do. After breakfast, we decided to checkout the pool, only to find that there weren't even close to enough chairs to accomodate your guests. And, how tacky, was the rubber hose used to continuously fill the pool. After the pool, we decided to return to the room for a refreshing drink. Not knowing where the ice machine was, I called the front desk to find out. She told me I had to come to the lobby. When I got to the lobby, the woman I spoke to was on the phone at a desk behind the front counter. I stood there for several minutes with ice bucket in hand, waiting to get ice. When she looked at me several times, but refused to fully acknowledge me with ice bucket raised in the air, I left...mind you walking all the way back to room 141. A few minutes later, I decided to return to see if I could get some ice. This time she acknowledged me with a rude "what do you need"? I thought the phone call and 2 trips with an ice bucket was a dead giveaway. She rudely informed me that the ice was in the corner of the barroom. Hmmm... she could have told me that on the phone, the first time. I'm surprised the ice wasn't in the restroom!! So, now that we were able to have our refreshing drinks, it would have been nice to enjoy them on the patio. However, the view of the junkyard behind, took away the appeal. Oh, and your shuttle service... not very helpful when it only runs til 7:30, unless of course you eat dinner at 4:30. Unlike the rest of your staff, I will say that your bartenders were at least friendly. So, finally our departure time came, and I went into the front desk to check out. I was asked what room, told to sign here and that was it. Not a hint of a thank you for staying, how was your stay or come again!!!! Even our 15 month old granddaughter says "thank you"! I would get better service at Hank's Truckstop and it would only cost me $35/night, as opposed the repulsive $370 I paid for this poor excuse for a hotel. Thank you and your staff for ruining a perfectly wonderful birthday weekend. I will be sure to pass this along to others, who are considering staying here.
Greg

2  Thank dufferg
Reviewed June 29, 2010

Upon checkin at Sagebrush, we were given a room I described as the dungen. It was in the original building facing courtyard, small, dark, with a full size bed. Bathroom had toilet and tub. The sink was outside of bathroom. Had a fireplace and fridge. The room was quiet probably due to the adobe walls, but had no cell phone service in room. At our request, we moved to another room after one became available. This room was in one of the two story buildings towards the rear of the property. Room was much larger with a king bed. A big improvement. Staff at hotel were helpful. Complimentary breakfast was very good. All in all, a good stay once we moved to king room.

2  Thank Cajun_girl_1
Reviewed June 28, 2010

I stayed 2 nights at the Sagebrush while in Taos for a wedding and was pleasantly surprised by the quality and service at this historic inn. I honestly was somewhat concerned after reading some other reviews the night before my trip. However, after staying there, I have concluded that whomever wrote negatives reviews must have not yet adjusted to the slooooooow pace of Taos. Yes, they move at a different speed than others may, but once in town for a few hours you slow down too and enjoy the relaxed, unhurried pace of the town and this classic inn.

The architecture and building materials of the inn are a treat to look at. Large timbers brought in from the mountains during construction in the 1920s are the backbone of this overbuilt (by today's standards) inn. Mature hardwood trees grace a grassy courtyard - yes, grass and old trees rather than cement or asphalt.

Rooms were clean and quiet. Not modern, no. The sink was separate from the bathroom in my room, but the shower head was modern "rain" style and cool. There is a flat-screen TV hung on the wall, so you're good for local channels and HBO - but no CNN or Weather channel. I never once heard the Saturday night dance that is a local tradition at the old-style dance area of the inn's bar.

The breakfast is a wonderful addition to one's stay. It is included in the lodging fee and is cooked to order, large pot of coffee left on the table, and the breakfast room is charming and steeped in history. The outdoor pool was clean and enjoyable.

If one truly needs a sterile, utterly predictable experience of a chain motel, then go there. Otherwise kick back and enjoy the old-style class and charm of this lovely inn.