“Excellent Service Hotel-Wonderful Experience”

Sagebrush Inn & Suites
Ranked #4 of 15 Hotels in Taos
Shell Knob, MO
“Excellent Service Hotel-Wonderful Experience”
Reviewed June 23, 2009

Take a trip back in time in a hotel with lodge pole beams and kivis in the room. Romance abounding with beautiful gardens, pool, dining room, breakfast room and bar. Hotel staff very helpful and accommodating. Ask for room #150 and you will have your own private courtyard and complete privacy. If you want newer rooms ask for the newer part of the hotel. We preferred the quaintness of the older part of the hotel. Food is prepared by a wonderful chef. Romance package $100.00 a night that includes dinner, and breakfast and a bottle of wine. $59.00 a night for a double room and breakfast.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank NatureLover060

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (313)
pennsylvania
Reviewed June 17, 2009

this is a good hotel it is made like the old adobe clay and is a big hotel.on saturday night go to the bar and watch the dances and southwest bands play it is amazing. Has a nice hot tub and pool. and if you want a good mexican meal go to tequila's. also if your kids want to see a prairi dog go to the comfort inn sign and wait a few min. and they will come out.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
New York City, New York
Reviewed June 1, 2009

I was at this hotel the same night as 2 very nice people I met earlier in my trip at Bandelier so got to compare 2 rooms.... Very weird - I was a woman traveling alone and had a palatial room; they were a couple and were in a not so palatial room in the less desireable part of the hotel.... Normally, the opposite is the case....

Arrived with the worst migraine (driving? the arsenic pool at Ojo Caliente? late blooming swine flu?) to a very nice woman who wanted to give me $2 off a margarita! All I wanted was to be sure I had a room away from noisy humming things like the HVAC unit or generator. She gave me a map, told me where to park - and assured me the room was in a separate area from the main hotel, and that I would love it. It wasnt until I recovered hours later and started to read the hotel history that I discovered that Geogia O'Keeffe stayed and painted in room 301 - and I was in 201....

Room 201 was great. My only real problem with hotels is if they have a loud AC unit. This one did, but I also had a bunch of windows that could be opened without forfeiting my security. Security in Taos, probably not an issue, but still....I have some valuable photo equipment. There was no room safe, but there was a little refrigerator, TV, table and chairs, large bathroom (I later discovered that I could hear every word of the lucky people in room 301 when they were in the bathroom, but otherwise it was completely quiet.

My friends from Bandelier were in 1 of the rooms in the central courtyard. I dont want to pre-empt any review they might write, but they had a lot of trouble regulating the water in their shower. And, their room was 1/2 the size of mine (I didnt tell them that!).

Meanwhile, we met for drinks and ate at the hotel - and both were good! I had a list of restaurants, but thanks to the migraine only had 1 dinner in Taos and it was at the Sagebrush. Great margaritas - it was really hard to choose between all the premium tequilas! And, the free buffet of salsa, chips and homemade potato chips was perfect for someone who barely had a appetite to eat lunch. Also, the breakfast is made to order and a choice of eggs, pancakes, etc, not a buffet.

This was the only hotel of my trip that was out in the open - if the weather wasnt so bad I could have seen stars and the sunset.... The pool wasnt open yet, but it would have been great if they had some lounge chairs to read on.

The people at the front desk were great! After sitting for an hour in downtown Taos traffic (I've never seen anything like it - and I live in NYC!) I made sure to ask for routes to bypass town - and got excellent advice from the people at the front desk.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled solo
1 Thank evening
Denver
Reviewed April 16, 2009

I had high hopes after reading other reviews on Trip Advisor...rarely have they let me down, except this time. While I was lead to believe I was getting a special room rate, I found the opposite to be true while I stood in line to check out. A couple ahead of me had a rate that was $25 less than mine for a similar room. Of course, if the room had been clean, the heat working and the bathroom spotless, I would not have minded as much. The beds were terribly uncomfortable and the heat ran all night long, completely ineffectively. The free breakfast was adequate and the service in the restaurant was the highlight of our stay. There are many choices in Taos and I suggest choosing another place to hang your hat.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family
Toronto, Ontario
Reviewed February 7, 2009

My boyfriend was attending a Keystone Symposia conference held at the Sagebrush Inn in Taos, so I decided to go along for the trip. The whole experience was wonderful.

The desk staff were accomodating (we had a bit of a mixup with our room initially), the bar staff very friendly, and the owner/executive chef was extremely friendly and the food was delicious! We stayed in a Deluxe Suite which was a huge room with king bed, murphy bed, two couches, woodburning fireplace, and patio. All the furniture was handmade carved wood. The room was large but felt quaint and cozy, especially with the fire burning. The rest of the hotel was filled with art, history, and overall the experience felt very authentic.

The location of the hotel was on the outskirts of Taos, so not exactly central to the main town however, the local bus runs by the hotel every 30 minutes and you can get to the Taos Plaza in less than 15 minutes for $1 round trip! Across the street from the hotel was the Taos Spa, a fitness facility offering some spa treatments. I purchased a 50 min massage for $65 and since I was staying at the Sagebrush, received a 5 day pass to the facility! If you walk 15 minutes down the road (or again, you can take the bus), you can find the San Franciso de Asis church which is apparently the most photographed/painted church in New Mexico. Worth the visit!

While in Taos, make sure to go to Taos Ski Valley (about a 40 minute drive around the other side of the mountain). There is a shuttle bus that leaves from the hotel several times a day and a roundtrip costs $1! The skiing and views were amazing. I wouldn't necessarily recommend Taos Ski Valley for beginnners, as the hills are pretty challenging.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank MAntoinette
Albuquerque
Reviewed December 27, 2008

This hotel is neat if you like historic, rustic properties with history. The front part is older, with lots of nook and cranny rooms, some upstairs, some down, with an old NM feel. These rooms are darker but my room was big with two rooms. The back has a two story newer addition that will fit the bill for people who want an updated feel. These rooms are also big, with a patio or balcony. We go here every couple years for a conference and the chef makes great food for our meals You have to still drive a few minutes into town, but there is a great dirt road right next to the hotel to go running / walking which feels very country-like. The old bar definitely has history to it and feels "rustico."

• Liked — on a large property with lots of room to wander around and look at the rambling buildings
  • Disliked — still have to drive a few minutes into Taos for shopping, etc.
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
1 Thank sccarrillo
Colorado
Reviewed December 27, 2008

I have stayed at the Historic Sagebrush for over thirty years. Unlike the many cookie cutter hotels, this one offers very traditional southwest adobe architecture, full of paintings, sculpture and the food is excellent. If I wanted updating, I would go to a motel six.

Stayed June 2008