“Meh. . .”

Ranked #4 of 15 Hotels in Taos
Boston, Massachusetts
“Meh. . .”
Reviewed July 28, 2013

I stayed here last year and wrote a five-star review. I wonder if I was blinded by the magic of Taos and that infected my viewpoint last year. I said then that the hotel was lovely. It still is. It is a gorgeous facility, with beautifully picturesque exteriors, pretty courtyards, a prettily laid out pool area.

However, the room was dark and dank. Same room I stayed in last year. I don't know why I didn't love it this year, or what had changed, but it didn't have the same feel. The floor always felt slightly damp. There was a patch missing that had been replaced in quite a tacky fashion. I was uncomfortable not wearing shoes. The floor didn't feel clean.

I had a problem getting the shower to work the third day of my visit (I was there a week), and the response was tepid. I had a conference at nine and noticed the problem upon returning from the gym across the street at 8:20. Turned out the shower knob was stuck, but still, I had to wait 15 minutes and was told when I called the second time that, "All our customers matter and our person is helping another customer" which was just so rude and totally untrue because I heard the guy get the message on the walkie talkie. He was working on the pool at the time. There was no mention in the message that I was in a hurry and had a meeting to get to in a half hour. So customer service was a little off.

The maids didn't clean the vanities at all. Didn't empty the trash or provide towels one day. I had to request coffee, which they also didn't replenish for two days. The air conditioning would randomly go out and I would have to get up in the middle of the night and turn it on. The dinner restaurant was horrendous. Service and food were horrible. Breakfast was fine. Fast and efficient.

The conference rooms were fine.

Biggest issue was the lack of internet. Do not know how, in this day and age, a hotel can bill itself as "conference center" and get away with providing spotty internet service. I happened to need to download items for my conference and was seriously inconvenienced many times because internet was out so often.

When I needed to print out my airline boarding pass, the internet was out and I was told would be out for the next three hours. I went to their hotel next door and had no problems accessing the internet and printing out there, though both hotels supposedly share internet access.

I seriously doubt I will stay at this hotel again. The internet mess was a killer, and the poor service and outdated room were plain depressing. I might stay next door in the newer hotel, or will maybe stay across the street at the Hampton Inn.

I'd like to add that, except for the shower incident, the people were lovely. But I spent a ton of money at that hotel, and I don't feel I got my money's worth. Seriously? No internet? At a conference center?????

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (302)
Austin, TX
Reviewed July 24, 2013

Add me to the list of people disappointed with this hotel. Our room was in the older part of the hotel. It was dark & dingy with a musty smell. It looked like the room, and especially the carpet needed a good cleaning. The Coffee maker and fridge were crammed into the closet, go figure!

We stayed there on July 3rd, and the hotel was only 25% full. They could have given us a nice room, but stuck us into that dingy room because we booked it on Hotwire. The only positive I can say that it was very quiet (because the hotel was empty) and the hot water was really good. But otherwise, it was not a good experience.

Room Tip: Book through the hotel directly. It will cost more, but at least you might get a good room.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Valdese, North Carolina
Reviewed July 18, 2013

What a great treasure! We arrived in Taos after driving from Cheyenne, Wy. and were lucky enough to find this motel with a vacancy. They did not accept AARP but upgraded us instead. Yippee! We found the room {suite} to be very clean, warm and open. We loved the hand carved sofa and love seat and the authentic southwestern decor was charming. We ate dinner at the on site restaurant and found it to be great food and a great price. I know we were travel weary but we both loved the comfort of the king size bed, it was firm but extremely comfy! I would love to know the mattress manufacturer. In the morning we went and enjoyed a free breakfast of pancakes, eggs, bacon and fresh juice and coffee. Of all the places we have stayed out west The Sagebrush was at the top of our list, not just for the ambiance but because it was clean, fairly priced and the entire staff was warm and welcoming, oh yes and we loved watching the Prairie Dog Town just off our 2nd floor deck. I would recommend this motel to anyone.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
San Jose, California
Reviewed July 14, 2013

And by 'vintage' I mean old. Evidently, some of the rooms are much better than others but, unfortunately, ours was not one of them. Old furniture, dark room, small bathroom, and a faint musty smell met us as we entered the room. The smell cleared pretty quickly with an open window and door. The bed was OK, somewhat comfortable, but I was glad we were only going to be there one night. There was a small fridge in the room, but the door didn't close completely. The air conditioner worked well since in only had to cool a small room. There was no wifi in the room.
Breakfast was passable. There were 6 combo choices on the menu but nothing individual and no fruit. Service was close to nonexistent. There were only 3 table with guests and it took about 10 minutes to get the attention of someone to take our order.
It's clear that at some point in the past the Sagebrush was a quality place to stay but whatever rooms have not been remodeled should be done soon to regenerate that classic look with some modern touches.
It was nice to sit on the veranda outside our room and see the lawn and trees that were in the center of the Inn. We talked to other guests as the evening came. That was fun.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Wichita
Reviewed July 6, 2013

Took my daughter and husband to Taos. We all wanted to stay together so we selected Sagebrush for all they offered for such a great price. We had a two room suite with fireplace and they operate like a B&B offering a free hot breakfast with several selections. They do have a pool and several jacuzzi' s on the property. The grounds needed a little cleaning up, otherwise, everything was wonderful.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms closer to the main part of the hotel.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 6, 2013 via mobile

The location and price are great. Breakfast is included, but no fruits and lots of carbs with one choice of eggs. Would like a little more choice.

The beds. Horrid. My husband and I both woke up with sore shoulders and hips. The pillows are about the size of a dime. Never have I seem such small pillows.

No hot water one day. Was told that the hotel was full (I heard the waitress say there were only 95 people there) and the water heater was empty. Really??

Overall it was what you paid for but I won't stay again.

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank lesag01
Rico, Colorado
Reviewed July 5, 2013

I so desperately wanted to give the Sagebrush a better review. As a child in the 70s and 80s I stayed here just about every summer and have really fond memories of the inn. Sadly, it looks as if the pool, furnishings and decor haven't changed much since then. I would be okay with that if the rates were reasonable, but I'm not okay paying $185 for a saggy mattress, stained carpet, a towel rack falling out of the wall, no screens on the dirty windows, already opened coffee condiment packets from prior visitors, and being twice interrupted at odd hours by security staff who first dropped off bedding in our room that was meant for another guest and returned to retrieve it later, and second came knocking after 10 pm to find a leak that didn't originate in our room. Seriously, if I had paid $65 I would expect some funkiness, but when the rates are $100 more, or even $20 more, there are some standards that should apply.
Besides the downsides, this property is so beautifully landscaped, and the original buildings have maintained their charm and character. Taos seems to be a difficult market for large hotels, but it sure would be nice if someone would invest in this classic property and its staff beyond new lamp shades and bathroom tile, and make some substantive improvements. Either that, or lower the prices to be more realistic with what you get. Otherwise, it looks like our next taos stay will be in a more affordable and comfortable casita since there seem to be a bunch of those within walking distance of the plaza. Sorry Sagebrush Inn!

Room Tip: Try staying in the hotel's original rooms.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family