New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Sagebrush Inn & Suites

Sagebrush Inn & Suites
Ranked #4 of 17 Hotels in Taos
Florida, U.S.
“Rustic, historic inn -- great breakfast!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

They have GREAT deals in conjunction with a couple of ski slopes in the area (Taos Ski Valley and Sipapu), so if you go during ski season and they still have these, it's a great bargain! We ended up getting an upgrade to the fireplace room because they had extra room I think. The room was very spacious and rustic, and we had firewood, tools and matches. You could also get fire starter from the front desk every night.

Just a few odd/negative things about the room: It smelled like crayons (different, not necessarily horrible), the shower handle adjusted between cold and scalding and -- as someone mentioned in another review -- there was an incredible amount of static electricity going on with the sheets! This completely freaked me out one night when I saw sparks flying when I touched the sheet after scooting across the floor in fuzzy socks. Then it became a fun light show for our kids. It was ultimately a neat science experiment, and no one spontaneously combusted, so it was all good.

Anyway, the main hotel area is historic and quite lovely in a rustic way. Fireplace, nice bar, and a nice dining room. We didn't do dinner there, but we did borrow the computer and, of course, partake in the included breakfast. The sit-down, hot breakfast was much better than the continental breakfast you find in more modern hotels. Also, the hotel staff were extremely nice and helpful. They recommended restaurants, gave us extra fire starter -- and the bartender gave us directions and suggestions for the drive back, including a suggestion to go to Echo Canyon, which were happy to find. Parts of the hotel grounds could use a little TLC/cleanup, but overall, this was a unique place with lots of character and some good amenities.

Room Tip: If you can get a fireplace room, I would highly recommend it!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (264)
SA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

We have never been to Taos. We decided to take a trip over our Spring Break. We stayed here for two nights. We had a suite with two beds and a fireplace. Upon entering the room you are hit with this smell. It is a very old smell. It is overwhelming but it comes from the place. It isn't a brand new hotel. It is one with charm and rustic appeal. We got used to the smell.

We were a family of 5 and the room was just perfect for us. We had a little living area which worked for eating in the room. The fridge was in the bathroom. The fireplace was nice. We don't have one at home so we definitely took full advantage and had it going both nights (they bring you one basket of complimentary firewood each night you stay). We even ran to the store to get all the necessities for smores. Our boys loved it and so did we.

If I had one complaint it would be the blanket on the bed. The thicker one they lay down on top of the sheet. It had SO MUCH STATIC! When we moved throughout the night sparks literally flew. The blanket had the WORST static cling. As a woman, my hair looked like I stuck my finger in the electrical outlet each morning when I woke up. I needed a lot of conditioner. My advice to housekeeping is to invest in FABRIC SOFTENER!!!!!

We had the complimentary breakfast both mornings. The place is small and cute. We really enjoyed the pancakes, french toast, and egg breakfast. The waitstaff is very nice. The set you up with everything you will need and then just let you be to enjoy. They never come back to check on you really and there isn't a need for them to.

The front desk is very helpful. The hotel is just what we expected in the pueblo form. The backdrop of the mountains is amazing. Next time we need to go earlier so we can see more snow on the ground.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

My sister who lives in Taos had picked a room for me and paid for the first night. She was so... kind. She chose a room that was very close to their Conference Center where I was attending a
conference. I have fybromyialga and have a very difficult time walking. She chose a room on the second floor for my safety. When we arrived we were told the room already had people in it. We were told that they always change rooms. I asked why they would do that when we had already paid for this certain room and had a receipt to show that. This is what they do, I was told. She gave me the room on the first floor. We unloaded and the realized the room was still dirty. She then placed me in a larger room that was quite a way behind the building. Quite a walk!!. It is very isolated and most of the parking lot and building lights were out. I hardly slept.
The bed was very hard. The bathtub was stopped up. Even though there was a table and refrigerator there was no plates or anything to use to eat food. When I went back to my room the second evening they had re keyed my key so I had to go back all the way to the office, and this is after they had charged me in advance for the second night. Maybe that is why they give your room away they don't even know you are staying.

I spoke to the MOD when checking out. She gave me a cash discount on the second night and acted like I was a more than a bother. She argued with me and seemed very annoyed.

the Sagebrush Inn has been a personal favorite for many years. I am told the owners are now elderly and struggling to keep up. They happened to be out of town. However when I checked out I saw them in the back room. They totally ignored me. WHAT A SHAME!! The rooms, furniture,atmosphere and food here in the past has been way above the average. The rooms are barely cleaned. The shampoo, etc. is very low quality and it looks like the upkeep is going down the drain. The free breakfast is pathetic and very limited. You can not order from a menu.
The food here used to be excellent. I understand the owner is no longer cooking and they have not continued with the tradition of excellent food. A loss that is hard to take.

The Sagebrush is a historic hotel that is on it's way out. So sad that we should continue to loose touch with the history of Taos. Unless I should hear of an upturn in the management I won't stay here again.

Goodby to an old friend!

Room Tip: I have no idea how to get a good room.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank J Marlene L
New Mexico
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

We had not stayed in Taos for a long time and unfortunately not all our memories stayed true. We had a suite which was wonderful complete with kiva fireplace. We decided to eat dinner at the restaurant because we remembered the great steaks. The dinner was just not that great last night. My chicken parmesan was left sitting under the heater for awhile waiting for my husband's steak which was a little bland and grizzly. The dinner rolls were terrible - cheap, pre-packaged - could have been so much better if a little more invested from a real bakery. The service was not good with only about 5 of us in the whole restaurant. The waitress was more interested in talking to a co-worker than serving us. The free hot breakfast this morning more than made up for any distress we felt last night - wow, eggs, bacon, French toast - really great and excellent service. So we recommend staying in suite, eat in town for dinner, enjoy the free hot breakfast here.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

The minute we walked into our room, the first thing we noticed was the smell....and not a good one. The room smelled like B.O. (ish) . The rooms have such good potential but the disgusting smell, hair on
the beds and in the shower, old carpet, and dirty old fabric on the couches, totally distract from what could be a beautiful place. We wouldn't even walk on the carpet without our shoes on. There was trash behind the bed and outside the units as well. It's a shame as there is so much potential with the beautiful ceilings, tile, and fireplace but the cons outweigh the pros.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Jenwren143
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

Yes, this is an older hotel, but it has so much charm and history you can't help but fall in love with it. Georgia O'Keefe frequented this inn back in its hey-day. This hotel has more of a "cottage" feel and less of a Hyatt hotel feel, if that makes sense!

We were upgraded to a deluxe suite without having to ask, and it included a huge king size bed, fireplace, fridge, patio (and the humorous murphy bed that is tastefully stowed away). Firewood is delivered every night to your room upon request. Everything is clean and bathroom even had a fantastic updated "waterfall" showerhead, which I'm now wanting to buy for our own home. The stay includes a delicious and substantial breakfast located in their restaurant. We didn't end up going to the main lodge but heard it was a great place for dancing and people watching.

Great place for families, but also nice for couples like us.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Little Rock, Arkansas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

My last few trips to Taos, I have stayed at B &B's looking for something with the feel of the area. I was very pleasantly surprised when on my most recent trip, I decided to revisit the Sagebrush Inn. The room had wood ceilings, a kiva fireplace, comfortable beds and that feel I was looking for. Additionally, it included a very good cook to order breakfast and all for much less than those B& B places. The staff was friendly and attentive. For my money, this is my renewed place to stay in Taos. I was disappointed to see the great old bar was empty as in the past, it was a hopping place. It may have been the fact that it was Easter weekend, but places around the plaza were full.

Room Tip: Ask for a suite with a fireplace in their newest building.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo