“Convenient but lacking”

and 1 more site!
La Dona Luz Inn, An Historic Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #6 of 23 Taos B&B and Inns
Reviewed November 3, 2012

We had mixed feelings about this B&B. It is certainly very convenient but we had trouble finding it and when we did had trouble finding someone to let us in.
The entrance inside the front door was untidy and not very welcoming and there was a steep spiral staircase up to the room. This didn't worry us but it might be difficult for some guests.

The room was spacious but the bed cover a bit smelly and the room not as clean as we would have liked.

Just a bit of sprucing up would go a long way!
The breakfast was lacking- we ran out of hot coffee and orange juice and there was a limited selection of food.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Donaluz, Owner at La Dona Luz Inn, An Historic Bed & Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded November 4, 2012

Thank you for staying with us.
I’m sorry you had trouble finding us, but we are located right at the main crossroads in the very center of the downtown and the inn has very adequate signage. Directions are also posted on our website. Phones are provided at each entrance that serve as our doorbell, so there was no reason for you to have had a hard time getting assistance.

I personally inspected your room and the only housekeeping issue I could only find was dusty window sills. I apologize for the oversight, but in this part of the world, dust is a constant challenge. Otherwise, the room is exceptionally clean. We maintain a monthly schedule to wash comforters and more frequently as required. If you found something that was not up to your expectations, I wish you had brought it to my attention at the time. The insulated glass is starting to internally fog, but I can only wonder if perhaps you thought the glass was dirty. We take housekeeping and cleanliness very seriously.

Breakfast is typically fresh, plentiful and delicious. We were training two new employees during your stay and I suspect they may have gotten a little behind.

The Santiago room features original 19th c. icons as well as fine art, artifacts and furniture from Spain and Old Mexico, items that most guests are surprised to find in a guest room.

To see what wasn’t mentioned in this review, please visit our website!
Paco

There are newer reviews for La Dona Luz Inn, An Historic Bed & Breakfast

Reviewed October 30, 2012

This wonderful B&B (more like boutique hotel) has to be my favorite place I have ever stayed. The location is perfect, downtown, and in walking distance to everything you’ll need. The La Dona Luz itself to absolutely stunning, filled with art, comfortable furniture and lovely carved wood doors. My room was the Little Luz, and all I can say it that I wish I lived there. The bathroom which was newly remolded was amazing, colorful tile and a huge walk in shower. Everything about this B&B is perfect. But the best part of the La Dona Luz was the owner Paco, warm and friendly he quickly became my friend and fixed me one of the best margaritas ever! Food was wonderful and coffee was hot and strong. All I can say is that I will be back, again and again. I strongly recommend the La Dona Luz!!!!! !

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank MissMolly274

Thank you, thank you Miss Molly, the feeling is mutual!
After 23 years, I still love this business because of my wonderful guests like you!
I look forward to seeing you again some day!
Paco

Reviewed October 28, 2012

We stayed in La Luz room up two very steep staircases - which we were prepared for and quite happy to negotiate! The room is VERY cute and compact - can only get in one side of the bed but you are rewarded by a beautiful view of the mountains. There's everything you may need including a sofa and mini desk and the wifi worked if I sat on the sofa. The bathroom is less Lilliputian and is modern, beautifully tiled, clean, well lit from a skylight and has an excellent double size shower.
The lounge is comfortable and homely and Paco is friendly and helpful.
The only disappointment was the breakfast which was fairly ordinary and not very plentiful.
The proximity to the town is very convenient and our stay was very good value for Taos.

Reviewed October 26, 2012

What a wonderful place this is. Aside from being central to all Taos has to offer, it has the most wonderful team of people running it. The owner, Paco, is so inviting and friendly, and his mood is reflected in the rest of his staff. Jennifer couldn't be sweeter and put loads of lovely potted flowers in my room, making a beautiful room even more beautiful, and Lauren (I think that's the name of the lovely girl who catered our breakfast, hope I've got that right, apologies if I don't) was so fantastic and helpful giving tips on things to do in the area and helping us understand the history of the area. What a treat, you certainly don't get this type of service everyone, and I was lucky and glad to get it. Paco is a passionate art lover and has filled the whole place with stunning works of art that reflect the local area and he's happy to chat and answer any questions you might have about any of his pieces. And don't get me started on the bed ... it was so so comfy and lush. Fantastic welcome on arrival, fantastic night's sleep, fantastic breakfast, fantastic art, and most importantly fantastic owner. Thank you very much Paco it was a delight to be your guest :) Tracey

Room Tip: I had the Red Willow room, it has it's own sitting room and is on the ground floor. It's ri...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed October 26, 2012

We stayed at Dona Luz for just two nights but would have enjoyed more. The place is filled with art, the rooms are thoughtfully decorated and maintained, and the location is terrific just a block from the Plaza but very quiet. We stayed in the Santiago room and found it very quiet. The room was plenty large with a couch, chair, coffee table and fireplace. It's not like a lot of rooms that are smaller than the photo makes it appear. The owner's family is from Taos so we enjoyed hearing some history of the building and area.

The Oct 24th review does not describe our experience with the owner Paco at all. Paco was very warm and welcoming with us and the other guests. He even went out to buy a bottle of champagne for us when a friend had called in to ask him to do for us. He is a single dad with two sons so he does have responsibilities in his adjacent home as well. After his sons were off to school Paco sat with us at breakfast and is just the nicest person. He puts a lot of energy into his business, and his cook Elena was very friendly as well.

Now that we're at a B&B in Santa Fe we are missing all that we enjoyed at the Dona Luz.

Reviewed October 26, 2012

This was a really great place to stay, the wife and kids loved it and so did I. Very authentic Mexico, excellent service...great memories. I particularly liked having breakfast in the back porch / patio. Overall very clean, warm and genuinely welcoming.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed October 25, 2012

We should have posted last year but after making reservations this year and reading the Oct 24,2012 posting we can’t resist but tell how it really is! Paco is the most friendly and helpful owner of a bed and breakfast we’ve run across, and we’ve been to many throughout the USA. He always has a smile and friendly advice as to where to eat or what’s going on in Taos at the time. He makes us feel right at home. We’ve been staying at the La Dona Luz Inn for over 5 years and he knows us on a first-name basis. We wish we had known about this charming, friendly Inn before. We seldom make it to breakfast, but when we have it’s been delicious. When available, we stay in the Rainbow Room. It’s a Fantastic, cozy, two-story room, with a private Hot Tub on the roof. It has a kitchen and living room downstairs, a bedroom loft on the second story and a private Hot Tub on the roof. From the Hot Tub you can view the entire Taos valley and in the winter with snow on the ground it’s a fantastic view – Last winter we enjoyed the Hot tube in a snow storm – it was fantastic! Hope it snows while we are there this year! The Inn is located near the plaza, walking distance from fantastic restaurants and Cowboy Buda’s (Taos Inn). We highly recommend this Inn to anyone – from newlyweds to families with pets – A 100% recommendation!!!

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple