“Quirky Hotel”

The Historic Taos Inn
Ranked #3 of 15 Hotels in Taos
Reviewed July 10, 2006

A friend of mine booked a block of rooms at this inn for her wedding guests which were coming from out of town and across the country. The Inn didn't bother to inform her, or any of her guests that the Inn and courtyard were under construction and that the construction would run from 8am every weekday. We did get a discount rate on our room, for the inconvenience, but they should have informed us ahead of time about the construction. The pool is closed, unfilled. The airconditioning unit in our room was so loud it startled us every time it came on. The rooms were clean and the beds were comfortable, but if we didn't have a discounted rate, we would've been very disappointed in the room for the amount of money they wanted to charge. The bar and restaurant are very good and there is friendly service in both. I have mixed feelings about the Inn and am not sure if I would stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2006
5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Write a ReviewReviews (1,337)

Grand Prairie Texas
Reviewed June 4, 2006

I made reservations for this hotel in April after I reviewed there internet site. On the internet the rooms and Inn looked great. When we arrived late May, the rooms were terrible and smelled. The Inn was under construction, the pool was not even filled. I would not recommed this place to stay for anyone. It's old and smells.

• Stayed: May 2006
3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed May 2, 2006

The whole place is under construction. It is at this time a shambles. The best I can say for it is that it was clean. The only unpleasant person we met on a week's vaction in New Mexico was a desk clerk at the "Historic Taos Inn." It was $140 and not worth half that. Maybe in 2 or 3 years it might be rebuilt and liveable.

• Stayed: April 2006
4  Thank Kittykat_7
Reviewed March 23, 2006

My wife and I just spent 4 days at this establishment. Several friends had suggested we stay there. They were right. We found the staff friendly, rooms cozy and comfortable and the food at Doc Martin's really terrific. We had a upstairs room in the main part of the hotel. Every evening there was live entertainment in the Adobe Bar. All very good in their own right. After skiing all day we only visited the bar for a few momments each evening, then retiring to our room while enjoying the music eminating from the bar below.
We found that even with the noise from the bar really loud as we walked through the lobby. Once you closed your room door (90%) of the noise was filtered out, leaving just the music to listen too until closing which was around 9:45 each evening.
The only downside items we encountered was the limited parking on some days. I think this will correct itself eventually as they are going through an extensive rehabilitation of the Courtyard rooms. The other was the price of the items on the menu at Doc Martin's. While very tasty. There are other establishments in town just as good, but less expensive
We do plan to go back again.

• Stayed: March 2006
16  Thank pdooley
San Juan Capistrano, CA
Reviewed February 19, 2006

We were in Taos on Valentines Evening and stopped into the Taos Inn lobby bar for a margarita. The server was excellent, and gave us great suggestions for dining around town. The margaritas, however, were 11.75 each and we watched the bartender pour them. There was an ounce maximum of tequilla in each margarita and just a whiff of cointreau. We drank them in a couple of sips and left. We own bars and 11.75 is a rip off for a mini-margarita, even for top shelf tequilla and even in a tourist area.

5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed January 3, 2006

I stayed for 4 nights in the cheapest room they had -- small, above the bar (which weirdly is also the hotel lobby), and quite loud. The price is quite low for these cheap rooms, but that's because they face on a balcony that overlooks the bar/lobby -- there's nothing but your door to block the noise.

I had friends staying in more expensive rooms in the courtyard out back, and they reported their rooms were absolutely silent and extremely comfortable. So that is probably the way to go, if you have the money.

PROS:

--The room is small but nicely appointed. The toiletries are great, from a local Taos company.

--The hotel has much more character than you'll find in a chain.

--Staff was very friendly and helpful.

--The restaurant's food is very good, though expensive.

--No trouble at all with parking, although you have to walk a long way from the parking lot to check-in, so check in first and then come back to get your bags.

--The location is excellent, just a couple blocks from the historic plaza and an easy walk.

CONS:
--Noise: The bar noise, which I was warned about when I made my reservation, is very loud -- most of the bar patrons are not guests, so they have little consideration for how much noise they are making -- though it seems to quiet down around 10:30pm. But I could also hear noise from the road and the hotel driveway, and sometimes from the rooms next to mine.

--Comfort: My mattress was sunken in the middle and the bed was squeaky. The window shutters don't totally shut out the lights from nearby buildings. The heater made a weird whining noise periodically. The only way I managed to get any sleep was to wear ear plugs and an eye mask.

--Weird room set-up: The switch for the light above the bed was next to the door, so you can't read in bed and then just switch the light off -- you have to get out of bed. The alarm clock is on the other side of the room.

--Miscellaneous: The staff never cleared the voicemail messages from my room phone -- when I checked in, the message light was blinking. It took me a while to find the instructions to access the voicemail, only to find out that they were messages from several days earlier. Quite annoying.

Summary: The hotel is interesting enough and the staff friendly enough that I'd recommend it if you can afford the more expensive rooms. Otherwise, pack ear plugs, eye masks, and willingness to settle for a little less comfort in exchange for the historic atmosphere.

• Stayed: December 2005, traveled on business
15  Thank mnkytourist
Reviewed December 15, 2005

My first room was airy, large and charming, but it was not available for my whole stay. So, I moved to a smaller room, the one that had the noise problem from a compressor on the roof. The loud machine rumbles on and off all night. Obviously, the management has heard these complaints before, but they keep renting the room anyway. This was the only available room, as the hotel was fully booked. So, after two nights we checked out. On the positive side, I really enjoyed the music and the nightly social scene. It was fun to stay there. I liked the toiletries. There's a lovely hot tub, located in a peaceful garden pool house. If we could have had the good room for the whole time, we would have stayed. It's in a prime location and it was a reasonable price.

• Stayed: October 2005, traveled on business
12  Thank STurtle
Also consider these accommodations in or near Taos
El Monte Sagrado
#8 of 15 in Taos
The Blake at Taos Ski Valley
The Blake at Taos Ski Valley
#1 of 2 in Taos Ski Valley

Been to The Historic Taos Inn? Share your experiences!