“Inn was Disappointing”

The Historic Taos Inn
Ranked #3 of 14 Hotels in Taos
Reviewed August 23, 2005

This place has two faces-- the public face with the bar and restaurant which was just great-- could not be better-- and the overnight inn which was just awful. I gave it two stars, but it's really more like a 1.5.

The room was noisy because it was next to a kitchen exhaust fan and over looking a dining area that was chock full of young kids. The room was also beat up and dingy. Staff members were unresponsive at best and rude at worst. When I asked about moving to a quieter room the young woman at the desk suggested that perhaps I would be happier checking out. When I asked for some soap because there was none on the room I was informed that they would get around to soap delivery later. Just awful. Plus, the pool was shut down "for the season" and there was obviously no attempt being made to repair it, even though the pool was one of the reasons we had picked the place. The closed pool meant that the jacuzzi (which is indoors and very dingy!) was full of kids.

I would not go back and I would no recommend it. Next time we go to Taos we will stay at one of the rennovated motor inns on edge of downtown.

• Stayed: August 2005
4  Thank nanalex
Write a ReviewReviews (1,370)

New Mexico
Reviewed June 28, 2005

The Historic Taos Inn was definitely not what we expected based on the website information and a phone call. “Historic” means old, dilapidated, and run-down. Room 101 has no working fireplace, inadequate air conditioning that did NOT cool the room at all (a cheap, low BTU, ancient conditioner), cheap fixtures throughout, low water pressure, and filthy carpet and bedspreads. The pool is not usable (no water), and be warned that the “entertainment” is right next to the main building’s rooms, so if you have kids DO NOT come before 10:00 p.m.! Overall, I would not recommend this Inn despite the “charm” of a rustic experience.

• Stayed: June 2005
3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed November 17, 2004

The Taos Inn DOES have a great location and the bathroom was clean. The restaurant was great. We arrived on Friday night right after the musical entertainment had finished. The first impression was that we had bothered the desk man's fun but he did help us to our room. We went back for a quick drink before the bar closed at 10PM and the waiter also seemed less than interested in serving us. The room was older and the pillows were very worn down (bring your own) and light bulbs ARE too weak. The couch in our room was filthy and the bedspead could have used a good wash. We stayed three nights and on the second I asked for some extra wood for the kiva fireplace and was charged $5. I didn't use any wood the first night and felt this was kind of cheep of the management. The indoor spa was a very nice addition but we were told at first it was broken - good thing it was repaired. Overall the hotel kind of grew on us as did the staff, basically you just had to laugh and think, "when in Taos.."

8  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed October 14, 2004

A reading lamp has a 40 watt bulb, there are no closets, and the armoire has only a few hangers in it. But the staff changes the bulb, the front desk loans you some more hangers, and then asks you to return them when you are leaving. One outside overhanging roof smacks a tall person in the forehead if he's not ducking. There are plenty of odd quirks in this old inn. And it may be declining from its former glory.

But it does have charm, the staff wants to please, and it definitely is more intereresting than the standard offerings on the highways. The interior courtyard is a quiet place to read or rest, the bar is hopping, and Doc Martin's restaurant, right on site, is charming and pretty good, except for erratic service.

The inn is located right in the center of Taos and puts many of the interesting sights within walking distance. I'd come back, and I would negotiate the room price down, as I was able to do on the visit I and my wife just finished there.

7  Thank _jpjohnsonret
Albuquerque, NM
Reviewed September 12, 2004

I used to stay at the Taos Inn the 80's alot. Then I left the area and didn't visit Taos until the late 90's. I've stayed four times since 1998. each time was bad but I kept hoping that the old Inn experience would return. It never did.

These comments concern visits since 1998. The front desk was totally inattentive and seemed to be untrained. They were'nt attentive to their jobs our requests and seemed bothered that we were there. They seemed like local kids (or artists, one was quite old) who enjoyed being in Taos but were not prepared to actually work for a living!

Our rooms were satisfactory but no more. They smelled horribly of cigarrette smoke although we had reserved and been promised a non-smoking room. The door didn't close properly. The windows also wouldn't close completely. The parking lot was always full and we doubted it was full of hotel patrons. Here the front desk were completely uninterested although we had repeatedly been assured that the lot was for hotel guests only.

The restaurant was good. we actually had some good meals there.

As we were leaving after two nights on our last visit, we were accosted by two kids (?) who seemed to be always hanging out in the parking lost - tho we had paid to park three block away! - and these punks aggressivley demanded money.

This place has really gone down hill. Its so sad to see such a memory distintegrate. Bottom line would be - there are no current owners paying attention to their operation and/or they don't care.

7  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 31, 2004

My wife + 2 kids and I stayed at the Taos Inn Saturday night July 24, 2004 during Fiesta. We had room 104/105 which is a huge double suite with separate rooms, which was perfect for us and our two children. We had stayed the night before at another hotel in town, but the Taos Inn really felt like Taos. The room was full of charm and western/spanish feel, not a run of the mill hotel room at all.

Pickier people might not like it, but if you're looking for authentic western ambience, this fills the bill. The master bathroom had double shower heads in an oversiezd shower and the bathroom was very elegant. This particular room exits both outside by the pool (105) and inside adjacent to the lobby/lounge (104). There was some noise from the band until 10PM but that didn't bother us at all. Late arrivals at the hotel were a bit loud though, yapping and talking as they arrived after midnight, but I suppose that can't be helped and can happen anywhere. The food in Don Martin's restaurant was very good, if expensive. The location can't be beat if you want to be able to walk to the Plaza. We will definately stay again at the Taos Inn.

12  Thank Silverado62
Cleveland, Oh.
Reviewed June 8, 2004

• Stayed: May 2004
15  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Taos
El Monte Sagrado
#5 of 14 in Taos
Quality Inn
Quality Inn
#8 of 14 in Taos

Been to The Historic Taos Inn? Share your experiences!