“DON't GO for the Standard with Fireplace - that part not refurbished”
Review of El Pueblo Lodge

El Pueblo Lodge
Ranked #1 of 15 Hotels in Taos
Reviewed October 25, 2006

We had only one night in Taos and didn't want to spend over $100. It was shoulder season - mid October - and the hotel rates should have been down but they weren't. We were advised that we should not stay on the "Hotel Strip" south of town and wanted to be close to the Plaza. Someone on a travel board recommend this hotel as a place she puts up her relatives. So I called and booked a standard room with a fireplace for some atmosphere. With Our AAA discount the room was $85. incl tax.

Location is great if you have to stay in Taos. Personally we were disappointed with the area since we were there last time - 15 years ago. Check in was okay though the woman at the front desk wasn't "Ms. Personality". We were sent to room 121 one of the two Standard With FP. The room is spartan. I'll post photo. One old poster on the wall. The Air conditioning and heating vents were FILTHY. I have a photo of that too. The small bathroom has a sink which was corroded. (My photo of that didn't turn out.). We were tired and wanted the fireplace so we didn't say anything. (I noted as we checked out the next day a sign that says any complaints or adjustments must be made at time of check in.).

There is a nice Gazebo to sit under if weather is good (It was too cold in October.) and a pool that was too cool for us to use.

After dinner I hung out in the Lobby talking with the night clerk. (well 4pm to 11pm. Now he was personable and interesting. I asked if all rooms were that worn. At the same time an single Asian man came in looking for a Sushi restaurant and remarked on how nice his room was. So I asked the clerk again. He said the man was in the Stanards which did not have fireplace and are stacked as 2 level. He said ours was the oldest and agreed it needed renovation.

Well we used the small fireplace (called a Kiva) and had a roaring fire for about 2 hours which was fine.

Oh yes, the only NEW thing in the room was a band new Color TV with at least 40 cable TV stations.

I read on TA that the continental breakfast went quick so we got there early. The hotel was less than 25% occupied and so there was plenty of raisin toast, mini muffins and peanut butter and jelly plus coffee. (There are old coffee makers in room but the lobby always has brew by the cup coffee machine at no charge.)

The location is good as it's across from the entrance to Taos Pueblo and 1/2 mile from the Casino. (Amazingly small and both smoke and Alcohol free. They don't even comp the players cokes. They have to buy them!).

We checked out Michael's Restaurant for breakfast - a place everyone talks about. But it's REALLY pricey for down home food. 2 eggs and toast and potatoes were $6.50! I saw big AAA Rating sign and looked it up in the AAA book. It got ONE STAR. Stick with the Toast, PB&J.

Great find for Dinner by the way - we don't east food with Chilies, was Lamberts.

So, if you are planning to stay here and don't need a fireplace, ask for one of the "New Rooms". If you book a fireplace Standard (121 and 120 room #s), expect used and worn and filthy vents and rusted sinks.

Steve

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank SteveinPhilly
Write a ReviewReviews (1,278)

Reviewed September 28, 2006

I have stayed at the Lodge before and enjoyed it. Not top end, but good location and adequate rooms. I tried to make reservations on the hotel website to stay there again this fall. I received an e-mail confirmation, but when I called to check right before leaving they had no record of my reservation and stated they do not take reservations on line. "We don't do that." No response to my complaint.

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank ESKJJ
Texas
Reviewed September 30, 2005

Our plan was to camp in Taos when an unusual late storm blew in. I consider myself an outdoors person, but we were experiencing 20 degrees with a four year old, so we had no reservation anywhere and had little hope finding somewhere to stay. Low and behold The Lodge came to our rescue! They were very accomindating to ou r needs and above all gave us a great deal on our five day stay. The people were gracious, understanding(we also had our lab with us), and most importantly easy going. Well, what do yu expect from Taos natives! I would recommend this place to anyone and look foward to my next trip to Taos and to The Lodge. Thank you for making it my favorite place now and to hope to live in the near future.

• Stayed: March 2005
4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 14, 2005

El Pueblo Lodge is a great place to stay for a few nights in Taos. It's not far (5-10 minute walk) from the historic plaza and a variety of restaurants and bars. The outdoor hot tubs are relaxing after a long day out and we hardly saw anyone using them! Tables and chairs outside the rooms are also useful and there is a great view of the mountain from the grounds.

The standard rooms are large and clean. Not super fancy but perfectly adequate. Breakfast is a small (very small!) buffet located by the reception. Youll probably need to eat something else too! I have stayed here twice now and would do so again (especially when ski season starts again!).

• Stayed: May 2005
3  Thank EssJayWhy
Falls Church, VA
Reviewed June 8, 2005

Well. I was shocked to see exceptionally negative reviews of the El Pueblo. This was the next-to-last stop on a 10k mile trip around the country, mostly staying at major chain motels. El Pueblo was as clean and orderly, but far more relaxed and comfortable. It's well-maintained age is part of the charm. The staff was relaxed and personable but professional and helpful. The pool was clean and the grounds well-kept - the trees and the shade they give are a plus. The little patio in front of each room with 50s metal chairs and table was great for star-gazing and coffee. I had a plain-jane room with no fireplace that was very clean; the walls are fortress-like: there was absolutely zero sound from adjoining rooms - the courtyard, in fact, insulates the whole place from the thunder of heavy tourist traffic, making the El P a real oasis.

Want a quiet and relaxing stay in a mellow older place? The El Pueblo is for you - we're going back

• Stayed: June 2005
7  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Lima, Ohio
Reviewed April 22, 2005

Our family enjoyed the El Pueblo. This was our fourth time to visit and it's always a highlight. Our youngest son was 2 the first time we stayed here and he always looks forward to another visit. He's now 20 and a junior at Ohio State University and a discriminating traveler. The lodge is old which contributes to its charm. This is authentic! The staff is friendly and helpful, and old or not, the rooms are comfortable and clean. We're planning for our sixth stay this August and will continue to lodge here probably as long as we return to Taos.

Stayed: August 2002
4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 27, 2004

This place has the rudest, laziest, most inconsiderate employees of any place we have ever been.

The landscaping has been severely neglected (everything has been allowed to dry up and die), and our room was very overpriced for the run-down condition it was in.

I know that there are plenty of much better values in Taos, as we've stayed in Taos for many years--AVOID THIS PLACE!!

• Stayed: June 2004
7  Thank brys1026781
Also consider these accommodations in or near Taos
El Monte Sagrado
#1 of 2 in Taos Ski Valley
Hampton Inn Taos
Hampton Inn Taos
#5 of 15 in Taos

Been to El Pueblo Lodge? Share your experiences!