“You have to go!!”

Ranked #2 of 130 Restaurants in Taos
Cuisines: French, Spanish, Fusion
Good for: Families with children, Business meetings, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast
Description: A favorite among locals and tourists alike, Gutiz serves creative Latin-French cuisine at affordable prices.
Reviewed June 5, 2013

We loved this place. It's so rare that you find a breakfast place that serves truly unique twists on old favorites, but Gutiz will surprise you. I only wish we had been in Taos longer so we could have tried more on the menu. In fact, we went on a Sunday, and returned expectantly on Monday, only to find it closed...D'oh!

I had the Eggs Benedict which was great, but my wife's Spanish Tortilla which included pesto and tapenade, was amazing. The staff is very friendly, and once we made it clear that we needed coffee, and lots of it, they were on the spot with refills. I wouldn't go if you're in a hurry, but if it's nice out and you can sit outside, you won't mind a leisurely breakfast.

Reviewed June 4, 2013

The menu at Gutiz is so unique that there's really nothing similar in this area. It's great that they serve breakfast all day because it's a substantial portion and very satisfying. The place has a homey feel to it and the smiling, cheerful servers make it even more welcoming. Check out the day-old pastries; I claimed the last croissant and it still tasted fresh and delicious, very French in texture and flavor. And it came with some delicious jam and plenty of butter. The crepes and the scrambled egg tower were both big hits. I decided against the Gutiz potatoes that came with my meal; instead they served me a beautiful bowl of fresh fruit. Six different fruits ... and absolutely no melon, which made me very happy. For lunch, don't hesitate to try the paella. It's packed with shellfish and meat, over a yummy, moist rice. Also, I'd go back and order anything with melted cheese. So delicious.

Reviewed May 30, 2013

Based on a review I'd read we decided to breakfast here, and it was delicious. Spicy, but yummy. Best of all were the drinks we had, the Gutiz hot chocolate (absolutely not to be missed) and the desert pear lemonade -- holy cow were they delicious.

The restaurant is small and absolutely charming-looking, and the staff equally charming and helpful, friendly as all get-out. As vegetarians, we appreciated that they made accommodations so we could have veggie versions (like the Taoseno, which was probably a bit too spicy for us but now we know). The house salad which accompanied one of my children's eggs was perfect!

One of our children has significant Special Needs -- for one, he is unable to use utensils so is a v. messy eater. He also sometimes does make loud noises (he is unable to speak), esp if he's excited or frustrated, like waiting for food. But he didn't have to wait long and no one who **worked** there made us feel at all uncomfortable (a few of the other customers gave us dirty looks but that's not Gutiz' responsibility, and we've been living with this long enough to recognize that not everyone can be as kind and accepting as they should be).

Reviewed May 23, 2013

Great service, fresh, wholesome food. Lots of healthy choices and special not so healthy too. Love this place for Brunch!

Reviewed May 17, 2013

I have been to Gutiz about 30 times and it is just wonderful. They started with Chef Eduardo, but his assistant (Gabby?) was SO good, that when the place sold several years ago, her staying was part of the deal. Thanks to the new owners for never letting her go.

The Patio is just ok next to the busy main drag and an oil change place....but it's walled off and works well enough. Inside is much better. It's informal but intimate. Everything is a deep Marigold Orange. Very Taos. Even the sauces range from deep yellow to....marigold orange. The 'Latin-French' is really very South American. That just sounds expensive. But all the entrees are $7.00-14.00. That's a steal for real food. Try the Vegetable Tartine. Try anything. Highly recommended.