“Great Flight with Pueblo Balloon Company”
Review of Pueblo Balloons

and up
Rio Grande Gorge Balloon Ride
Ranked #3 of 17 Tours in Taos
More attraction details
Owner description: Riding the soft desert winds is the perfect way to celebrate your special occasions with friends, family or when there is romance in the air. And, there is no better place to enjoy it than around Taos. We fly the scenic Rio Grande Gorge as it cuts through the high desert mesa like a 650 ft. deep Grand Canyon. The famous Rio Grande River gently flows through it. As we're gently gliding and enjoying the beautiful panoramas we drop down into the Gorge and kiss the river for the most thrilling balloon ride anywhere. We see baby coyotes, deer, mountain goats and elk in the Spring, blossoming flowers, bushes and cacti in Summer, the colorful changing Fall foliage and the beautiful snow covered Sangre de Cristo Mountains in the Winter - there is always majestic beauty everywhere! Join us for your adventure of a lifetime today!
Fort McMurray, Canada
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 26 helpful votes
“Great Flight with Pueblo Balloon Company”
Reviewed October 10, 2011

We took a balloon flight in Taos with the Pueblo Balloon Company in September 2011, and it was incredible! As described on the website, the balloon lifted shortly after sunrise, and did descend into the gorge right to the level of the river, then ascending up above the gorge to get great panoramic views! We later had our Champagne toast and breakfast at a recreation area near the Rio Grande Gorge Bridge.

The 'tour' wasn't as informative as some of the others we'd taken, because the pilot of the balloon mostly just let us all stare out, slack-jawed, in awe of the incredible landscape passing around us. However, he was very knowledgeable and gladly answered the questions we had for him.

I will note that although the flight was unbelievably smooth - you feel like the ground is moving, not you - the landing was rough. I felt I wasn't offered any warning about the landing prior to booking the flight, and because I didn't think to ask, I was expecting the landing to be just as smooth as the flight. I didn't have any issues with the rough landing, being 25 and able-bodied, but one member of my party had a tough time with it. I would recommend calling Pueblo Balloon Comapny to ask about it if you have any concerns.

This was one of the highlights of our trip to New Mexico and I would highly recommend it. Thanks Pueblo Balloon Company!

Visited September 2011
5 Thank Allison P

Columbia, South Carolina
41 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 98 helpful votes
“Great fun!”
Reviewed October 6, 2011

This is our only hot air balloon experience, so I hardly know how to rate it, except that the ride was so smooth and silky, we scarcely knew we were off the ground. Ed was a great pilot, very laid back, yet careful and responsible. The views were incredible-out over the mesa and through the Rio Grande Gorge. It is really a neat way to see the topography and landscape which I find so interesting. All of the crew were so friendly and personable and worked very hard. It was surely an education in just how much effort goes into setting up and taking down a balloon, for sure. Had lots of apprehension about this adventure before we went, but it was a breeze and I'm so glad we did it.

Visited October 2011
2 Thank Chinana
New York
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 37 helpful votes
“Fantastic Experience -- Can't Wait To Go Again”
Reviewed September 11, 2011

We had heard about Pueblo Balloon Company (PBC) from some friends who had traveled to Taos earlier in the summer and were excited, and a little nervous, about taking our first hot air balloon ride. PBC did not disappoint. The van that picked us up arrived promptly at our hotel at 6am. The driver and his mates were friendly and very knowledgeable. While driving to and once we arrived at the site, they shared with us tons of information about ballooning in the area (and the U.S.) . Given the inherent risks in ballooning, we were told way in advance that unless the weather conditions were just right, our trip might be cancelled (and we wouldn't be charged, of course.) At the launch site, we spent nearly an hour waiting to see if the wind and early morning cloud/rain would clear up enough for us to go. Rather than "pushing" it and take unnecessary risks, the PBC team were adamant that conditions be ideal and almost cancelled the trip. When we told them we didn't mind waiting another 30-60 minutes to see if conditions improved, they were game and eventually the sky cleared up and winds calmed down. During our spectacular flight, we learned so much about ballooning. We flew into the Rio Grande Gorge and saw big horned sheep running on the hillside. The ride was smooth and controlled and we never once felt uneasy during flight. Once on the ground, we had the traditional champagne breakfast and heard some fun stories on the history of ballooning. Overall, a great experience that we would recommend to anyone who visits the Taos area!

1 Thank Rob5555
Amalia, NM
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“A gorgeous flight”
Reviewed September 1, 2011

I flew with Pueblo Balloon Company with my daughter and 8 year old grandson. My grandson and I are both afraid of heights but this did not scare either of us. The flight was a fantastic experience, going down into the Rio Grande Gorge and then flying over the adjacent terrain. I'd floated down the gorge on a raft but you get a totally different view from a balloon. Simply amazing!

The pilot, Kris, was very professional and explained what he was doing. The rest of the crew were very nice too. The owner, Ed, gave us a lesson on local history as we drove to the launch site. The champagne brunch after landing was fun and filling.

This is an experience everyone should do at least once. I hope to go again. On landing, my grandson asked, "When is the soonest I can go again?"

2 Thank Mary Ann W
Baltimore, Maryland
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Best Balloon Ride in New Mexico!”
Reviewed August 13, 2011

Looking for a truly memorable experience? Look no further than Pueblo Balloon Company in Taos Pueblo takes you on the ride of your life high above and down into the Rio Grande Gorge! The scenery is unbeatable – much better than your standard balloon ride over desert landscape. They take you soaring high up over the desert, and then you descend right into the Rio Grande gorge almost low enough to touch the water! In fact, we were told on some trips the passengers do get their feet wet (they call that the dip and drip)! But even though you feel you may scrape a canyon wall or end up swimming in the Rio Grande, the pilots are very safe, truly understand the wind currents of the gorge, and really know what they are doing. A perfect safety record is not by accident. We went up with two other balloons. Our pilot Chris made the experience truly unforgettable, but each of the other balloon’s passengers was equally enthusiastic about their pilots when we had the champagne brunch afterwards at the Gorge Bridge. You even have time to walk across the amazing Rio Grande Gorge Bridge before heading home. So if you have always wanted to go ballooning, this is the best place and Pueblo Balloon is the company to check this off your bucket list!

6 Thank Chuck M