“For What They Had - It Was Pretty Good” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Kit Carson Home & Museum

Kit Carson Home & Museum
Ranked #14 of 92 things to do in Taos
More attraction details
Owner description: Purchased by famed cowboy Kit Carson for his bride in 1843, this 3-room adobe home displays artifacts, antique firearms and other pioneer belongings, Kit Carson memorabilia and an exhaustive supply of books about New Mexico.
Colorado
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“For What They Had - It Was Pretty Good”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 25, 2011

The museum is 3 rooms of the Kit Carson house, and the exhibits and History Channel video of Kit Carson - starring Kit Carson's great, great grandson as Kit - do a wonderful job explaining who Kit Carson was and how he figured so prominently into the history of Taos and the West. The docent was really helpful and very knowledgeable. My daughter, 10, was done with the museum in 5 minutes, but my teenage son really enjoyed the experience. As he said, ' I had no idea who Kit Carson was, but they did a fantastic job explaining who he was and what he did.' High praise indeed from a 16 year old. I'm glad it did not cost more for admission. It took us about an hour to get through the museum, including the video.

Visited November 2011

Tucson, Arizona
32 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 224 helpful votes
“Poorly done museum”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2011

This is one of the better known attractions in Taos but overall not worth the $5.00 admission. While the story itself is most interesting and worth telling, they do not do a good job of it. The 18 minute video is from the History Channel and it ends half way through Carson's life. You really dont have any idea what happened to him next. Then there are three poorly furnished rooms with a mix of family photos and some vague information about Carson. Too bad. Sad actually. They need a professional to come in and create some educational exhibits that tell the whole story. Only then would it be worth it.

Visited August 2011
Saint Louis, Missouri
59 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 171 helpful votes
“I can agree it's an average museum at best, but it's a great site for me, and a cheap price”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2011

If you're just looking for a museum in general, maybe one that leaves you with the flavor of the area, there are probably better ones to go to, and yes, in theory, it could be a waste of your time. But 5 dollars is pretty cheap, so I wouldn't call it a waste of money.

I have a personal bias in ranking this highly, as Kit Carson was one of the first legends of American History I absorbed in my early reading frenzy in grade school, exhausting the small office library after a year or two. Carson, Pike, and Sitting Bull were the first ones I remember, among the many that followed. So for me it was a great opportunity to walk through Kit Carson's house. I enjoyed it and the 20 minute film on his life.

It's an easy walk, a few blocks from the downtown plaza area. And a bit further north is his gravesite. It's not spectacular to many people that arent specifically looking for Kit Carson's house, I agree, but maybe if you're touring this part of the world you really should get to know who he was. So maybe you should visit anyway. Its only 5 dollars.

Visited May 2011
Colorado
28 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 80 helpful votes
“excellent preservation and great museum”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2011

Park behind the museum and walk around. The volunteers will do tours if not busy.

This place is steeped in history and a great stop for adults and older kids alike.

Visited October 2010
West Chicago, Illinois
76 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 248 helpful votes
“Sorry excuse for a museum”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2011

I visited on Saturday afternoon, July 24, 2010. I found myself with some extra time so I decided to check out the Kit Carson Museum.

Okay. Here we go. I’m only going to say this once. DON’T waste your time and money! They should be embarrassed to call this a museum, much less to charge for it. Admission is $5. They should have paid me to endure it! The main attraction? Watching a 20 minute video on the life of Kit Carson from the History Channel. Then there are the 3 open, unfurnished rooms of Kit Carson’s house. In these rooms were several poor displays, hodge-podge in style, badly done and thoroughly disorganized in presentation. For your own sake, steer clear!

Keith