“not always open, so go if you can!”
Review of Taos Pueblo

and up
Taos Highlights Small-Group Driving Tour
Ranked #3 of 98 things to do in Taos
More attraction details
Owner description: Taos Pueblo is the only living Native American community designated both a World Heritage Site by UNESCO and a National Historic Landmark. The multi-storied adobe buildings have been continuously inhabited for over 1000 years. We welcome you to visit our village when you travel to northern New Mexico.Taos Pueblo Hours: Monday - Saturday 8:00am-4:00pm and Sunday 8:30am-4:00pm.Guided Tours available daily starting at 9:00 am.Pueblo Shops open daily.Taos Pueblo is expected to be open for the winter season. Any closures would be due to unexpected events within the community and will be posted on our official website.
Reviewed November 11, 2013

Every time I have tried to visit the Pueblo, it has been closed. Our guide said if there is a ceremony (like a funeral) they have to close down unexpectedly. So I was happy to find it open and it was wonderful. First off, the tour was one of the best I have seen and our guide was knowledgeable, entertaining and engaging.

This place is living history. A man wandered by with a boquet of wild flowers. I saw him later on his front porch, the flowers in a jar with water. The hornos are still used to bake bread and the pole at the center of plaza is used during ceremony still. We are fortunate that we are allowed to enter this place. It rings with history both bloody and redemptive.

If you think $16 is too much to pay, don't go. You don't deserve to see it.

1  Thank Amanda33_10
There are newer reviews for Taos Pueblo

Reviewed November 8, 2013

I very much enjoyed our tour around historic Taos Pueblo. I learned a lot, and the guide imparted a strong reverence for the place, the people, and their struggles. I didn't feel at all like the guide was bashing whites, as some reviewers have noted. Rather, I felt his viewpoint was nuanced---and entirely valid and reasonable.

The mountainous backdrop and blustery wind lent Taos Pueblo a severe beauty that was not cushioned by the babbling river and the golden-leafed trees along its banks. (We visited in October.) Maybe it was the prominent church ruins and the cemetery, but I came away with a haunting sense of, yes, desolation, as one reviewer mentioned---but also grief. I visited Acoma Pueblo and didn't have this feeling at all, so I don't think I am projecting my own ideas here.

While at Taos, I did visit several Indian craft stores and had friendly conversations with the artists. I am humbled by their perseverance and their spirit. Go to Taos Pueblo. Come away changed.

Reviewed November 8, 2013

The first thing to know about Taos Pueblo is it is NOT a tourist attraction. People still live there and all the Taos pueblo members consider it sacred and their ancestral home. It has been continuously lived in since 1,100 AD. When you visit you should consider yourself as a guest in their home and treat them and their property with that kind of respect. The people are often treated as photo subjects and rightfully are somewhat withdrawn. However, when you show interest in them as people worthy of your respect they are open and warm and wonderful to talk with. I have learned and heard many great stories from several of the elders there. It's worth your visit, but visit with courtesy and respect for their home.

Reviewed November 5, 2013

This pueblo is one of the oldest and they do a good job with the tours which are efficiently run. The pueblo itself does have the adobe structures one expects but it's was somewhat smaller and less spectacular than I had expected. Most structures seem empty and while there were a few handicrafts for sale as well as the obligatory fry bread (which was delicious), I felt a sense of desolation there.
They keep this pueblo true to its time by not allowing electronics/telephone/etc and compared to the 2 other pueblos I've seen, it definitely has more sense of place and history but it was not the stunner that I had expected.
Having said that, if you are in Taos I would definitely recommend.

Reviewed November 4, 2013

This is a wonderful, wonderful historical place. Really amazing to see this - it's 1000s of years old!
The church on the property is beautiful. You aren't allowed to take pictures inside of it - but it is definitely worth going inside.

I would highly recommend coming here. It is a little bit pricey, but honestly it's worth it.
It doesn't take much time to just wander it yourself - we didn't do the tour so I'm not sure how long that would take.

1  Thank Alex M