“I Wish my Builder Gave a 1,000yr Warranty ?”
Review of Taos Pueblo

and up
Taos Highlights Small-Group Driving Tour
Ranked #14 of 104 things to do in Taos
More attraction details
Owner description: Taos Pueblo is the only living Native American community designated both a World Heritage Site by UNESCO and a National Historic Landmark. The multi-storied adobe buildings have been continuously inhabited for over 1000 years. We welcome you to visit our village when you travel to northern New Mexico.Taos Pueblo Hours: Monday - Saturday 8:00am-4:00pm and Sunday 8:30am-4:00pm.Guided Tours available daily starting at 9:00 am.Pueblo Shops open daily.Taos Pueblo is expected to be open for the winter season. Any closures would be due to unexpected events within the community and will be posted on our official website.
Reviewed January 14, 2013

It was with mixed feelings that we drove up to Taos Pueblo. I thought it might be another Tourist Trap and the "welcoming" you get is not overwhelming but having experienced several different attractions around the States with the Native Americans (4 Corners, Monument Valley, Cortez etc ) you get to realise they are not being rude but are just a bit stand offish when it comes to strangers. And lets not forget we are viewing their homes and people so of course they are on the defensive. Different cultures ! My wife didn't like the Camera Tax but obviously they are making every post a winner. We did the self walk tour which left her able to walk into every shop they had !! The store keepers & Artists were laid back and no hard sell and the little mementoes we picked up were pretty good value and I'm glad we got them. We chatted with most of the operators and they had some interesting stories to tell, even ended up talking Basketball and the influx of Aussie players in the NBL with one owner !! The buildings are amazing for their age and to think that some are still occupied as they were 1000 years ago !! It puts my dwelling to shame but a visit is well worth the effort and the income is needed by many of the occupants !! Stop and talk to the occupants and you may be surprised how much you both have in common , Enjoy !

7  Thank Skeney57
Write a ReviewReviews (2,500)
All reviews
in 43 reviews
"baked goods"
in 38 reviews

Reviewed January 13, 2013

We timed our visit for a buffalo dance and were so impressed. It's smart to arrive early for special days like this. We had time to go to several gift shops, and that gives a glimpse into interior home spaces, and a chance to speak with people who live there.

1  Thank Stephen B
Reviewed January 7, 2013

If you come to Taos Pueblo, you will see pueblo dwellings that are over 1000 years old that are a pleasure to photograph. You won't see demonstrations of grinding corn, cooking in earthen ovens, tanning hides or any other activity that the ancient inhabitants would have participated in.

We visited Taos in late November on a day that felt more like early autumn. The air had a crisp feeling to it and the scents of pinion wood burning in the fireplaces filled the clear blue sky. My wife and I took the tour, conducted by a young college girl who talked a lot but was very unsure of her facts and said very little. The tour is only as valuable as the guide. (The guides are volunteers and work on a gratuity basis.)

There is a lot hype about the fact that Pueblos are still inhabited by descendants of the original builders. Yes, they do live without electricity and running water. But you will see propane tanks, propane lanterns and automobiles. Step into one of the many curio shops and you are magically transported to a downtown Taos gift shop, complete with tiled floors and glass display cabinets and MC/VISA acceptance. To their credit, the shop owners were nice and didn't pester you inside or outside of their shops.

We did buy a few things including some fry bread. We enjoyed the experience, and I enjoyed photographing the dwellings. At the end of the day we had a few trinkets, a hand full of pictures; but no new knowledge about the people who once lived here.

Reviewed January 7, 2013

Taos Pueblo was not only a wonderful opportunity for my family to experience what a pueblo is like, but also the wonderful residents of the pueblo. We met friendly craftspeople who told us the stories behind their pottery, jewelry, paintings, etc... This is a great place to go. It is well worth the drive to Taos from Santa Fe. We took the High Road and stopped in Chimayo (which is known for its weaving). Before we left Taos we ate at Orlando's. The best restaurant we experienced on our trip to NM.

2  Thank Ihavemypassportready