“Made to feel very unwelcome by rude staff” 2 of 5 bubbles

and up
Taos Highlights Small-Group Driving Tour
Ranked #3 of 92 things to do in Taos
More attraction details
Owner description: Taos Pueblo is the only living Native American community designated both a World Heritage Site by UNESCO and a National Historic Landmark. The multi-storied adobe buildings have been continuously inhabited for over 1000 years. We welcome you to visit our village when you travel to northern New Mexico.Taos Pueblo Hours: Monday - Saturday 8:00am-4:00pm and Sunday 8:30am-4:00pm.Guided Tours available daily starting at 9:00 am.Pueblo Shops open daily.Taos Pueblo is expected to be open for the winter season. Any closures would be due to unexpected events within the community and will be posted on our official website.
Travelling for a year
39 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 107 helpful votes
“Made to feel very unwelcome by rude staff”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2011

The whole experience to this site was very negative, which is a shame - and I am not ignorant and I do care about history! When we arrived we were greeted with signs which said - you cannot take a camera of a phone into the site and if you do they will be confiscated - no explanation why or polite request.
On paying the admission fee, the lady taking the money was exceptionally rude to the 2 older ladies in front of us for no apparent reason and then to me and my husband. If I had not heard the way she shouted at the people in front I might have taken it personally.
We were offered no tours. When we said hello to anyone in the village they seemed to begrudgingly nod their heads.
The whole experience was unpleasant and we felt very unwelcome, until we left and the people then manning the carpark were friendly and nice. We really do wish we had not gone - if you don't want people to see your pueblo and you don't like dealing with the public then don't open or work in a tourist attraction.

Visited July 2011
2 Thank Desk-Escape-com

• Korean first
Ottawa, Canada
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“don't waste your money”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2011

If you want to spend over $28 a couple ($6 to bring in your camera) and then another $10 to tip a guide who gives you the fastest and worst tour ever, then head here. There is no effort to show you anything beyond the present and the old church. No view of an interior of a house, for example. The main purpose is to spend a lot of money. Better to go to Pecos National Park where you will see and learn much more. You would be hard pressed to spend over thirty five minutes unless you shop. And finally, at 9 am the bathrooms were absolutley filthy - had not been cleaned in quite a while - disgusting

Visited August 2011
3 Thank yvonne475
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Most disappointing World Heritage Site I have been to!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2011

We have been on a world tour and have visited over 30 World Heritage Sites in at least over 20 countries and this one been the most disappointing.

I really want to help support the native people and I don't mind paying an entrance fee but don't charge me to take pictures. Most people will have cameras so they should just charge one fee.

Also, it felt like I paid to enter a shopping center. I appreciate that there were lots of local arts and crafts but then many of the products were not even by the people living in the pueblos. Like, lots of the ceramics were by The Navajo.

They offered a free walking tour every 20 minutes or so but who wants to wait around in the heat?

Also, my final gripe is we park the car and start walking towards the entrance and the parking attendant comes up to give us information while hiding his cigarette behind his back...not so professional.

We don't actually get to go into any of the buildings outside of the ones who have converted them into shops, because apparently people still live in them.

It is poorly run and organized and was disappointing. The fact that they lived there for over a thousands years is impressive but outside of that fact it has little to offer.

That said, if you have not been to other world heritage sites like The Great Wall, Halong Bay, Newgrange, or even Carlsbad Caverns, then check this out...otherwise, if you do then be prepared to pay extra to bring in your camera and shop inside the pueblos...inflated prices too.

2 Thank Johnandalyx
58 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 63 helpful votes
“Historical gem”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2011

Interesting historical heritage. A pueblo that is well preserved and according to the local tour guide, 20 people still live there without utilities. The rest of the people love outside the pueblo and enjoy modern life, and get into the pueblo during the day to work in the tourism industry. Yes, this has become a big tourist oriented "park" . Despite this, it is interesting and a must when visiting NM. Take the local guided tour and talk to the locals.

1 Thank ahva63
Colorado
20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 59 helpful votes
“Well worth the stop, but make sure you walk through with a tour guide”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2011

This was fun and informative. While we could have walked through on our own, they have tour guides (free) that give you the history of the area. That made the experience better. I will say that I was disappointed that beyond the entrance fee there was a $6 per camera fee that I could have done without. Otherwise, it was enjoyable.

Visited August 2011