“Worth finding this out-of-the-way treasure”

Ardovino's Desert Crossing - Mecca Lounge
Good for: Special occasions, Large groups, Families with children, Bar scene, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Brunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Description: SINCE 1949, ARDOVINO'S DESERT CROSSING has been building its reputation by offering the finest quality ingredients, innovative cuisine, and exceptional service. Whether dining in our restaurant or attending a private event, our guests relish a unique ambiance at Ardovino's Desert Crossing.Come relax on our patios and, as the evening passenger train winds its way around Mount Cristo Rey, you'll understand why.
El Paso, Texas
“Worth finding this out-of-the-way treasure”
Reviewed March 4, 2014

This wonderful restaurant is a hidden gem that takes a little scouting to find, but it's well worth the effort. Nestled in the hills west of the main highway through Sunland Park, it offers an impressive view of the Rio Grande valley and El Paso's Franklin Mountains in the distance. Entering the restaurant is like taking a step back to 1948, with the period decor. The staff is very attentive and friendly. The dinner menu offers a nice variety of choices, all expertly prepared. Weekend brunch is a real treat as well. My wife and I have visited this restaurant on a number of occasions and always enjoy it immensely. Enthusiastically recommended.

• Visited February 2014
1 Thank Dave S

New Mexico
“A secret in the desert”
Reviewed February 28, 2014

The Desert Crossing of the name refers to the railroad tracks that run by along the the mountain next to Ardovino's. If you are outside you'll hear the lonesome whistles blow! Inside is a very pleasant restaurant and bar, which has a very long history in this spot. The current owners (brother and sister) not only operate the restaurant (with numerous interesting spots for private parties on the property) but contribute to the region through sponsoring a weekly farmers' market, now operating all year round, and hosting special events such as the current El Paso Opera performances by young artists of excerpts from the coming La Boheme.

The menu has a wide range of choices, many items made completely in house, with a focus on locally-sourced, organic/free range where possible. There's a comprehensive wine list, with some wines by the glass (more would be welcome!). This is a great spot to get away from the city for a while and just relax. And it's one of the very few that is open on Sunday evening. Don't miss it!

• Visited February 2014
1 Thank Purmamarca
Las Cruces, New Mexico
“WOW!!!”
Reviewed January 28, 2014

This was an amazing experience. My husband had been to this restaurant many, many years ago and loved it. My first experience (and definitely not my last!) was nothing less than wonderful! We arrived early and were seated in the inside bar. Brandon immediately noticed us and came over to welcome us, take our order and ask us if we were eating in the bar or in the restaurant and offered us appetizers. We ordered the artichoke hearts and were very happy with them. My husband is a gin/tonic guy and Brandon brought over several gins for him to try - what a nice treat! I am the wino and was treated to the same courtesy. I was given a couple of samples of wines and was able to pick the one I wanted.

Our dinner was just as spectacular. The view was great and our server Jennifer was informative and attentive. I had the pork chop (recommended by Brandon) and my husband had the ribeye. Both were cooked to perfection. I highly recommend the Navy Bean soup. We spend 4 hours between the bar and dinner and never felt rushed or in the way. Live entertainment can be found in the bar most nights and it was great to have an after dinner drink while listening to some quality entertainment. Definitely one of our top picks so far!

• Visited January 2014
El Paso, Texas
“A luxurious evening meal at a reasonable price”
Reviewed December 15, 2013

I went to ADC with my girlfriend on Saturday night, 14 DEC. We didn't have reservations but were able to be seated right away. They took our coats and provided us with water and menus. Our server was nice. Our food was great. The portions were appropriate and filling, but not overly hearty. The quality of the breaded pork that I had was quite good. The meat was tender and the flavor rich. My girlfriend got one of the brick oven pizzas which we both liked. The pine nuts added a lot to the flavor. We also tried the artichoke hearts for an appetizer, which were tasty, just small.

My only real complaint was that they had live music that night. The band became so loud that, even though we were at the farthest point in the room from the group, we had to yell to talk to each other or wait for their song to end. I regret not bringing it up sooner, but did leave a written complaint.

I would likely return. It isn't as far away as the map suggests and the seclusion of its location in NM adds to the ambiance. In the summer, I'll bet that it's a great place to visit. But, if they are going to have super loud music, I'll either request a secluded table, or wait for an alternative night to dine.

• Visited December 2013
“A classy place with the looks of a dive,”
Reviewed December 4, 2013

Way out from town in a rundown looking area, this restaurant was top notch. We went for brunch and could choose from a great variety of breakfast and lunch items from the menu. The sausage gravy on biscuit was great, and they offered eggs with salmon Benedict. A full bar was available as well as a free, entertaining Santa Claus. This was market day and they had a large number of vendors of local crafts and products - chili pepper decorations, frozen metal, breads, jellies, jewelry... We didn't intend to shop but we bought a bunch of cool stuff. This place has a Spanish Italian flavor.

• Visited December 2013