“Better than the Brown”
Review of Oasis (H&K) Motel

Oasis (H&K) Motel
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Springer
Reviewed May 30, 2013 via mobile

I have stayed at this hotel once and it was clean and the prices were reasonable. I had ate over at the brown hotel while I was in town and the food was horrible and the prices were ridiculous. The owner is also very rude and treats customers like crap! Do not go with the Brown hotel!!!

• Stayed: March 2013
3  Thank Worldtraveling0

Reviewed May 19, 2013

Room 116 smelled clean when you walked in but there was no shampoo or lotion. The sheet on one bed was not fitted and kept coming off. The sheets had what seemed like black lint, something that looked like a dried scab, a pubic hair, and it might be in my head but we itched all night. I didn't even bother to ask the front desk for a refund. It's worth driving to Raton or Las Vegas NM, however a new hotels being built.

• Stayed: May 2013
Reviewed August 6, 2012

I am stuck in Springer, NM because my truck broke down. This is the closest place to where we ended up breaking down. She gave us a deal on the room because the a/c can't run because of the breaker, we were given a two bed room for five people to stay (3 adults, a three year old and a two month old) and plus a dog and a cat. It was going to be almost $90, but it ended up costing $68. We were hoping that it we would only be here for a night and be on the way but to fix the truck it is taking another day and the cost is not pretty. She heard the price and got a voucher for us to stay the night for free, and I am also going to be helping her clean in the morning, it's the least I can do! Now this isn't a five star motel/hotel, but in my eyes it's one of the best places I have stayed in all my life. Great manager and the hospitality couldn't get any better. Clean beds, free wi-fi, and cable. New towels. And a gas grill in the back. Great price for a night if you are driving through and need to stop and sleep! If I would ever need to drive through here again, I would for sure stay here again. Oh yeah the shower/water pressure RULES!!!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank Mississippimoon
Reviewed July 27, 2012

Stayed here in December out of necessity after the Highway was closed during a blizzard and we had nowhere to stay since Springer is in the middle of nowhere. I would NEVER recommend staying here for any other reason BUT an emergency/last resort. Our room had a "courtesy rag"... an old towel with a sign on the wall telling you to wipe off any makeup or stains that you might leave on the linens. Shower curtain was made of a cheap disposable plastic material that clung to you as you tried to shower, absolutely gross. Sink leaked underneath and carpet was getting moldy from it. If you have the option, I would just keep driving and go to another area, this place gave me the creeps!

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank mriley78753
Reviewed November 3, 2011

This is a very basic but clean place to stay. No wifi but has cable TV. No phone but don't most of us have cell phones? Shower worked well though it has a low head height. No shampoo or dryer but soap and good towels. We got a AAA rate of $48/night and would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: November 2011
7  Thank SueJZab
Reviewed September 27, 2011

After paying $93 at a not very fancy name brand motel, we decided to give the local guys a try... We had a nice quiet night with WiFi, cable TV, new mattresses,clean room for $63 for 2 adults & one dog. My dog enjoyed the small grassy section by the room.The 2 other, more expensive pet friendly, motels that we stayed in had no grass for the dog! We enjoyed sitting outside the room for an hour or so in a small quiet town. Would definitely stay here again!

Room Tip: Bring your own shampoo,hair dryer,coffee pot
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends
6  Thank crazyaboutvacation
Reviewed August 14, 2011

My family revisited Springer, New Mexico recently on a trout fishing trip. Our family chose the Oasis because it is extremely affordable. Since our last visit in 2008 the place is under new ownership and they have done a bit of remodeling. The rooms have new carpeting and bathroom tile, and the strange and useless closets have been removed, making the rooms quite large.
The room we were in had two double beds with extremely comfortable mattresses, and very flat pillows. There is a round table at the back of the room where the mystery closet used to be, and one chair (you can usually snag a plastic lawn chair or two from the "porch" outside). There is a massive dresser with large drawers opposite the beds; this is another improvement as last time we were there the dresser had no functional drawers.
If you come to the Oasis, you will want to bring along your own shampoo and conditioner, blow dryer and iron (though you would probably have to iron on the table or the bed, no ironing board). They do have hotel soaps in the bathroom. The towels were very good for an inexpensive motel. The shower has seen better days, but has excellent water pressure. You may have to wait a couple of minutes for hot water but when it arrives, it is plenty hot.
There is a wall mounted television with basic cable with several of our family's favorite channels, aka Discovery Channel, Food Network, ESPN and HGTV. There is a ceiling fan in the room, a gas wall heater, and an A/C unit in the wall by the door. A large front window is covered with a blackout curtain, but there is still light from the automatic porch light spilling through all night long. If you have to have absolute darkness in order to sleep, get an eye mask for this place.
When we return to Springer we will definitely come back to the Oasis Motel. The Oasis advertises itself as "clean and affordable" and it is absolutely true. The room was very clean and very affordable.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
5  Thank Odyssey2002

Been to Oasis (H&K) Motel? Share your experiences!