“Don't stay at the Econo Lodge”

Econo Lodge Inn & Suites
Ranked #2 of 10 Hotels in Socorro
Colorado Springs, Colorado
“Don't stay at the Econo Lodge”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2008

This motel was a real disappointment. When I made my reservation, I was told one rate, and when I called back to confirm a week before our arrival, the rate had gone up $5/night. I was warned before arriving that this hotel was known for raising the quoted price so I asked for an email confirmation before I left home. When we arrived at the hotel to check in, the price had gone up a 2nd time. I showed them my email confirmation and they grudgingly decided to honor that price. I heard 2 other customers at the hotel talking of similar situations. One had booked a king bed but was given a queen when they arrived and told it was the only room left.

The room itself was shabby and unkempt. Everything was old. The breakfast was minimal and poor quality. Certainly this place is a bargain if you don't mind being ripped off. There are other inexpensive places to stay in Socorro which I will try next time.

Stayed November 2007

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
Southeast Idaho
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 25, 2008

As I always do before reserving a motel room, I researched my options on Tripadvisor and saw the post from HUSKERTRAVELER regarding this particular room at EconoLodge. I saw from all the posts that there were mixed reviews regarding this property, but for the four nights we were going to be in Socorro this particular room was just what we needed (2 couples). To be honest, I was a little concerned that we would roll in and not get this room as promised, or the dozen other things that can happen when a person has a reservation.

However, what happened was that we did indeed get the master suite that I had reserved. You walk into a living room with a table, sofa sleeper, full size fridge, small coffee maker and microwave, and nice TV. Off the living room there are two bedrooms...one has two queen beds, full bath with tub, and TV. The other bedroom has a king bed, large large bathroom with large shower (no bath), and TV. I am used to sleeping in a brand new bed at home, but had NO complaints about the king bed in this suite....was very comfortable to me.

It looks as though HUSKERTRAVELER paid less than we did ($55 versus $120), but to me it was worth every penny. To be honest, the room could have been a little cleaner and some fresh paint wouldn't hurt, but all in all it was great. Every staff member we encountered was very friendly. The breakfast was great....no hot stuff like bacon, but enough to fill a person up!

Another couple ended up traveling with us and got the adjoining (from the inside) room (for $50/night), so we basically had a 3-bedroom-3-bathroom-4 TV room for less than $200 a night!

I am a tough tough critic of motels, and I would stay at this property again anytime!!! Give it a chance!

• Stayed January 2008, traveled with friends
Trinidad
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2008

Booked the master suite - no hot water in one bathroom on first night, later was fixed! Desk clerk scammed us for extra charges for dog but mgr did refund that & hopefully fired the clerk. Rooms were in need of thorough cleaning & are very worn out. Maids need lessons in bed-making! Never smoothed out or tucked in sheets, pillow slips put on inside out. Sloppy work. We were panhandled by a scruffy man at 5 a.m. in the parking lot outside our room - scary experience! No breakfast available on Sat. morning, office locked up tight - maybe because desk clerk was fired! Would recommend trying somewhere else despite the low prices.

• Disliked — Office hours unreliable, room cleanup not good, accessibility from main road awkward.
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled with friends
Tucson, Arizona
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2007

We were going to stay at the Econo Lodge in Socorro for 2 nights. The price was right, and I thought we were getting a suite. When we first walked into the room, it smelled real heavily of room deodorizer, which gave me a headache. So they did move us to another room, and the smell was a little better. The place seemed run down, and the curtains were falling down. Then it dawned on me, that we didn't even have a suite, which I had booked. When I called the front desk to ask them about it, I was told they don't even have suites, and the girl wasn't sure why the Choice Hotel websight has them listed. I just didn't have a good feeling about the place. And then I got up from my chair, and my butt was wet, and I touched the chair and smelled my hand and it smelled like room deodorizer. That was it for me! They did let us check out, and luckilly there was a room available at the Holiday Inn Express, just down the street, which is only 6 months old, and quite nice. Pay the extra money, and stay someplace else!

• Stayed October 2007, traveled on business
Albuquerque
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2007

It's a pretty typical hotel. The manager was a bit grumpy but it was 3 am so... You can walk across the street to Walmart (closes at 12am) and there's a nice diner next door that I had a fabulous breakfast at.

• Stayed March 2007
Tucson, AZ
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2007

Thanks to the hard work by Richard, the manager and the housekeeping supervisor, this Econolodge in Socorro was a good place for my wife and me to spend one night in August (on our way home from Kansas). We had booked a deluxe room in the back of the property. It was quiet and the room was much bigger than average (see pictures). The motel has many amenities found in pricier hotels and the wireless high speed internet worked very well. Nothing fancy here, but decent place to spend a night or two and there is a good family restaurant on property (locally popular).

• Liked — Extra amenities not found in budget properties
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2007

I stayed here for one night as I was passing through New Mexico. The hotel is easy to find and the room was big and clean. However I'd been given an ex-smoking room so there was a faint hint of tobacco in the air. But it was late and I was tired and only there a night so I didn't mind. Next door is a family-run 24 hour restaurant and there are plenty of chain/fast food options close by within walking distance. Wal Mart is across the street. I wouldn't spend an extended period here but as an overnight stop it's just fine.

• Liked — Price
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled solo