“Convenient Hotel to Apache Del Bosque Wildlife Refuge and the Very Large Array”

Holiday Inn Express
Ranked #3 of 10 Hotels in Socorro
Plano, Texas
Reviewed April 19, 2013

We stayed her one night while we were en route from Albuquerque to Roswell. We got in early and Amaiya was on duty and assisted us with an early check-in. She was also very helpful with directions to the Very Large Array and the Apache Del Bosque Wildlife Refuge. We appreicated her information and also info on local dining options. The room was fine, with a refrigerator and microwave. It seemed a bit more expensive than other Holiday Inns of this calibre, but I think it may be due to the few options in the area. I would also note that the winds get very strong in New Mexico, so our window whistled quite a bit, but I just stuffed it with some extra bath towels, so we got a good nights rest. Overall, I would say the facility is average, but due to the excellent service from their employee, I gave them a higher rating.

Room Tip: Do not pay extra for a room with a view....it isn't that impressive of a view. However, the vie...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed April 8, 2013 via mobile

This is a very nice hotel with apparently kind employees. I stayed here one night while in town on business. I arrived in town at about 7:30pm. I appreciated how there was snacks available for me at that time in the evening. The room was clean except for a few minor stains on the carpet. In spite of that, the price you pay is over priced for the quality you receive.

• Stayed April 2013
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Reviewed April 5, 2013

Friendly staff, clean room, good beds, decent breakfast, fairly reliable free wi-fi (disconnected once). I particularly like the very heavy sound-proof doors that eliminate annoying hallway noises from other guests. Conveniently close to I-25 and a few buildings down from the Socorro Springs Brewing Company.

Snacks available in the evening (5 - 7? - forget the hours) in the breakfast room - cookies, goldfish crackers, chips, etc. - my husband particularly appreciates hotels that provide cookies.

The less than perfect? Soap trays in shower/bath in room 226 have broken off and not been replaced.

Also, one needs three hands to serve oneself biscuits and gravy - one to hold one's plate (there's no counter space to put a plate down on), one to hold the sneeze-guard up, and one to pick up the biscuit and dish up the gravy. There's no way to secure the sneeze-guard in an open position.

wales
Reviewed April 2, 2013

We travel often and have avoided Holiday Inns because we found they had solid frame(platform) bedframes that would not accomodate our underbed wheelchair lift. When calling ahead on our trip through Socorro we called the top 4 Tripadvisor rated hotels in town and none could accomodate us except The Holiday Inn Express. Desk personell personally checked room and confirmed a regular frame bed. On arrival Ann Marie told us Holiday Inn had all accessible room beds converted back from solid frames to regular bedframes. Thank you Hoilday Inn! You are now on our list! P.S. we decided to stay 2 days instead on 1.

Long Island, New York
Reviewed March 12, 2013

When you book a chain hotel you know in general what to expect, the variable is often the srevice. I was upgraded to a suite, and as I was alone this provided me with the luxury of a couch and a well-lit table and chairs. There was also a microwave and refrigerator, which I suspect is tandard to every room. These rooms do not have reading lights and the bed lamp must be jury rigged to read comfortably in bed.

I only stayed one night, but the pool looked inviting and the exercise facilities up to date. The breakfast is the usual Holiday Inn rubber eggs, cereal, toast etc. Unfortunately FOX news was on in the breakfast room, but was promptly turned off when I asked. In my opinion only local news or neutral stations should be on in a public space.

Because I was in a hurry to get to an early morning field trip, I left my jacket w/ 40$ in the pocket. I called, and they held it for me 'til later in the day. The 40$ was still in the pocket. Kudos to the staff!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Duisburg, Germany
Reviewed March 4, 2013

Delivers what you expect from a HIE. Room comfortable and spotlessely clean, Staff polite, friendly and efficient. Standard Holiday Inn breakfast often available way before stated breakfast time. Nice for birders who want to get to the refuge before sunrise.
Would stay again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank diho
Bartlesville, Oklahoma
Reviewed February 24, 2013 via mobile

We stopped in Socorro to see the wildlife refuge. This hotel is convenient to the refuge. Our room was comfortable and clean. Breakfast was good. The hotel was completely booked, but our room was quiet.

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple