“Best Steaks in Santa Teresa”
Review of Billy Crews

Billy Crews
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Oxnard, California
“Best Steaks in Santa Teresa”
Reviewed January 1, 2010

A bit harder to find than expected since my Garmin GPS did not have the proper location for this restaurant. After passing it, a guard at a gated neighborhood advised me to U-turn and where to find it. On New Year’s night, seating was available. Although there were only two of us, the hostess sat us at a table for five. After a manager pointed this out, she asked if we would mind being seated elsewhere. We didn’t mind so we moved to a table for four in a second of two large dining rooms. This later one was decorated with red paint, chair rail and a very loud floral wallpaper. After a short period, a waiter came to take a drink order. Since this restaurant is famous for its wine list, I decide to order a bottle of wine so I requested a wine list. He returned with a short list of wines available by the glass. After he returned again for an order, I asked for the list of bottles. After finally reviewing this and making my selection, it took the waiter a long time to return. We finally placed our wine order and decided it would be best to order our meals at the same time. I ordered a rib eye steak with steak fries while my wife ordered the small filet with twice-baked potato. Next another server came to explain that the first waiter had written down the wrong bin number for the wine and if I could identify the bottle again. This was a very hard bottle to get ordered! Finally the wine came, as did the food. The meal ended up being enjoyable but was not on my list of favorite ten steak restaurants. I did enjoy reading a statement that this restaurant made a top ten list of steak restaurants in Texas and is proud to note that they are located in New Mexico!

El Paso, Texas
“Need to work on the service and food quality”
Reviewed December 22, 2007

My wife and I chose Billy Crews because of the good steaks and the award winning wine cellar they are known for. It was a Friday night, busy, but a table for 4 was available.

After waiting a while, they took drink orders. When they arrived the waiter proceeded to dump half of the martini on me. It was cold and a unique way to start the dinner. The glass of wine our friend ordered was bad. The waiter tasted it and agreed. He replaced it and we ordered dinner. We ordered salad, lamb chops,sides and steaks. It took a long time for the order to appear, while the place was looking empty. The food was good, however, the exception being the salad. It looked old, out of one of those precut bags you buy at the supermarket. I ordered oil and vinegar, the waiter brought oil but never returned with vinegar. So I ate the salad as is.

After dinner, we ordered two glasses of Port. I specifically asked the waiter to make sure we had glasses that were from a bottle open no more than 1 month . My glass was fine, but my friend's had a thick residue in his glass, almost like grape peels. Let's hope they improve in the future.