“Huge disappointment. Not the quality of the typical Holiday Inn Express. Stay elsewhere.”

Holiday Inn Express Santa Rosa
Ranked #7 of 15 Hotels in Santa Rosa
Chandler, Arizona
Reviewed March 12, 2014

My husband and I recently moved from Wisconsin to Arizona. We drove 3 days and planned two overnight stays along the way and Santa Rosa, NM was one of the stops. I always read reviews on hotels before booking and the reviews were telling me to stay in another large chain that was just down the street. However, I've had several really good stays in a Holiday Inn Express in other cities so I ignored the good advice online and booked here. This turned out to be a big mistake.

When I walked in the lobby to check in, I was not greeted, but instead the front desk clerk shouted "Do you have a reservation?" I said yes, and she was relived since apparently they were booked up. There was another guest checking in and while I was waiting she was chatting him up with a story and language that was inappropriate for a customer service person. I'm not offended by much but I felt this to be highly unprofessional at best.

Once checked in, the first thing we wanted to do was hit the hot tub after 10+ hours of driving and simply relax. The pool area was not clean and when we went to turn on the hot tub, it was not working. We picked up the phone to call the front desk and there was no answer. My husband went out to the desk to ask about this and could not find the clerk. He walked outside to find her smoking a cigarette outside the front doors. She basically said, "yeah, it's broken" and offered no apology.

The room itself was dirty. The sheets looked like they had not been changed and there were stains on the comforter, body hair in our bed and black streaks on the sheets. The shower had mold along the caulking and the room was dusty. We went down to our car and got the quilt out that we were carrying and used that instead.

After our trip, I did contact the Manager of the hotel via email. I was told the clerk was fired and was given an apology. She asked if there was anything else she could do. I replied that since I paid more money for the Holiday Inn and, in particular, for the hot tub which was not working, I thought we deserved a discount on the room and therefore some money back. I never heard back from her.

Given this info, I can tell you there's another chain down the street with better rates and a nicer view. Go there!! This was a huge disappointment and should be an embarrassment for the Holiday Inn Express chain which I've experienced to be of much higher quality.

Room Tip: Try another hotel!!
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank SwolfWI
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Santa Rosa, responded to this review, March 30, 2014
Dear SwolfWI,

First of all, thank you very much for your recent stay at our hotel. I am so sorry to see you did not enjoy your overall experience with us. We’d like to obtain some additional detail regarding your experience so we have sent you a private message. We hope to have the honor of serving you again should your travels bring you back to Santa Rosa.

Karen G.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Chandler, Arizona
Reviewed March 10, 2014

I stayed one quick night in this hotel while on a cross country moving trip. This hotel is an average place to stay. Prices were reasonable, I paid a little more hoping for a cleaner room then neighboring hotels. There was enough room for me to park a large moving van and car carrier when I arrived, but in the morning the lot was busy. I was able to turn around BARELY because there were no cars in the parking lot when I arrived there. There are no restaurants are bars in this hotel, however there was a little restaurant that served beer about 2 blocks east (easy walk) from this hotel.
Free Wi-Fi and Free breakfast were nice. Room was clean. I did have to pay an additional fee for my dog and cat.

Room Tip: Don't stay on the 3rd floor unless you have a pet. Those 3rd floor rooms are reserved for pets.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Michaela D, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Santa Rosa, responded to this review, March 18, 2014
Hi there,

thank you for staying with us and for leaving us a review about how we are doing. We sure appropriate you taking the time to let us know.
We are glad to hear you enjoyed your stay and hope to see you again the next time you travel through Santa Rosa NM.
Columbia, Missouri
Reviewed February 21, 2014 via mobile

Traveling across country, Santa Rosa was our pick after a long days drive. Anytime I see a hotel is located on Route 66 I hold up in making my reservations because of the usual age of hotels. The town seems to be missing so much opportunity in capturing the nostalgia of this route. Lots of buildings ran down. I can understand because of the age but the amount of junk that is around them is a turn off. If I wasn't so tired, we would of driven on. However the grounds at this hotel were clean.

We passed up our 1st choice of a hotel and read the reviews of this one in the parking lot. We decided to give this one a shot because surely there is at least an expected standard. Walking into the hotel we were impressed of the entrance and even getting into our room. The use of granite or look a like granite was used through out. Nice touch.

It's the small details for me that make this either an average stay or an exceptional one. Here's the opportunity. We stayed in room 209. A light above the bed was missing the light with an open light socket. The corners in the bathroom had a build up of about 1/2" of dirt. Sure the floors were cleaned but no one took the time to make sure the dirt didn't get pushed over into the corner. Walking out of the elevator the electrical socket cover is missing. My pillow case had a stain on it. In the morning, the wife and I both could not drink the coffee as it was extremely weak.

You guys are close, just need to turn it up a notch. Now days you never know what customer is going to walk in and do a review on you. I openly have my Travelocity tag on my luggage and yes I do reviews. Sorry I live 1000 miles away and won't be back again in the area so it can be made up. I hope this hotels expectations don't slip further because of how the area deems it is acceptable.

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Santa Rosa, responded to this review, March 8, 2014
Dear Danimal04,

Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to write about your recent experience at our hotel. It is rewarding to hear that you appreciate our hotel. We strive to accommodate all of our guest's needs and I am disappointed that we did not meet your expectations. We apologize for the shortfalls during your recent stay with us particularly with the room accommodations and amenities. We have taken note of your valuable comments and will use these to monitor and improve the quality of services we offer to our guests.

Again, thank you for your feedback and we hope to have an opportunity to serve you again.

Zelyn N
Case Manager
IHGCare
Michigan
Reviewed February 12, 2014

Would stay here again if traveling through the area, thought it was a little overpriced however, was tired from driving for over 12 hours. Friendly, helpful staff, breakfast could have been better bisquits were hard as a rock with not much of a selection.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
Mustang, Oklahoma
Reviewed February 7, 2014

Nice place to stay. Came here with kids that wanted to swim. Pool was nice and also the hot tub. Rooms were big with comfy beds with good pillows. I'm very picky sho that is a big deal.
Only complaint would be the bagels at breakfast were hard, which there were many other options so not a issue at all.
Front desk was very nice.

• Stayed February 2014
Reviewed February 5, 2014 via mobile

This hotel is a blessing. Clean and comfortable. Staff is friendly. Continental breakfast is fresh. Beds are comfortable. The pool is heated too! We've stayed here twice in the last year and were happy each time. I put four instead of five stars because they could use a bit more maintenance.

Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
San Tan Valley, Arizona
Reviewed January 10, 2014

I stayed here twice in 2 weeks while on a holiday trip. The staff is friendly, the breakfasts great, the rooms are just fine. My only complaint would be that they need new towels. The ones I had were frayed and hard as burlap. Still and all, I would stay here again with no reservations.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo