“Surprise!”

Description: Contact: Patricia Velasquez Phone: 575-472 9925
Pataskala
“Surprise!”
Reviewed November 30, 2013 via mobile

Well this was an interesting visit. I took my parents to this place as it was a first time for me. I thought why not a piece of history and good food. I was in for a surprise. I ordered up a tostada. My mom ordered up a cheese burger. My dad ordered up a beef plate. My tostada was ok, I have had better at other Mexican restaurants, the so called Mexican rice was more like rice in thick tomato soup, that was pretty nasty. My mother told me her cheeseburger and fries was good. My father told me his beef plater was left to be desired and definitely nothing to write home about. The server was pleasant and great to work with but lacked in the detail of who's plate was who's. With all that was written, what really got to use was the coach roach that was on the booth table top next to us on the inner side of the diner. The roach was crawling around the table top trying to find food or at least a way down. My mother wanted to leave, but I suggested not to because our food was on its way to us. I hinted to the server to look over to the table top, but she didn't. I noticed a little later in our meal she would look over to the table, and she would see the roach because her facial expression would change. She did nothing or said nothing because our entire time eating the roach was still on the table crawling around.

Many hours have past since this post and we have not experienced any food poisoning.

If you dedcide to eat there, take heed in what is around you that could be crawling. I also did not notice a health inspection grade on the place and that should have given me a clue to turn around.?

One more thing to add. My mother goes to use the restroom and the light does not work. Needless to say, we left and used the restrooms at McDonalds just down the street.

2 Thank DrivenThrough

Wales, United Kingdom
“Sit back in 50s style - good breakfast”
Reviewed October 7, 2013

Having stayed in Tumcumari the night before where there was no breakfast, we decided to stop here. Typical old American diner in my view with lots of memorabilia on the walls also several and religious pictures etc.

We were served by a very pleasant waitress and as we sat drinking our coffee it was obvious that the diner is frequented by locals (good sign in my view).

The service was in good time and the food very fresh and plentiful – the breakfast burrito was delicious.

I can’t comment on other meals but I would definitely recommend for breakfast.

Bangor Northern Ireland
“Good place to eat and chill out , looks cool and great service.”
Reviewed September 5, 2013

Stopped for coffee and rest on Route 66 trip and this was a great wee place, lots of cool stuff inside and old American cars outside, good service and generally a good place to stop!

• Visited March 2013
Texas
“A Route 66 experience ...”
Reviewed September 2, 2013

PRO's:
• An authentic Route 66 diner, complete with counter. It's the most original of the several in town. Not much has changed.
• Mexican food varies from region to region - so it may not be what you're used to - but it was pretty good. Good red chile sauce, great refried beans, thick corn-mealy tamale.
• It was almost all locals when I was there.
• Real 1950's "googie" style signage outside (each letter of "restaurant" is separate).

CON's:
• An old-fashioned Route 66 diner. Not much has changed. 1950's diners did not necessarily have outstanding food, nor were they as sparkling clean as today's chains. Every stop was an adventure.
• The Mexican food was fine, but the American food may not match up. Probably depends on what you order.
• Service was a little disorganized when I was there. It's a mom & pop place, no corporate policy book or training program. (Relax and take in the atmosphere.)

Overall, it was fine, and it was definitely vintage Route 66, right down to the 1950's food & service. I grew up then. Honestly, Silver Moon Cafe and Joseph's Restaurant in Santa Rosa are similar in style with SLIGHTLY better food & service ... but this one is more authentic, right down to the warts.

If you're looking for gourmet food and snappy service, this is not the place. If you're looking for a trip back in time, I think it's worth a stop. I didn't regret going there.

1 Thank salvage_team
Las Vegas
“Good breakfast”
Reviewed August 24, 2013

Our breakfast was good at the Route 66 Restaurant. The people were friendly and the service was fast. My coffee cup was never went low. Breakfast portions were on the small side.