“Breathtaking Views”
Review of Sandia Crest Byway

Sandia Crest Byway
Reviewed April 17, 2014

Unfortunately when I visited it was about to snow and the clouds were very low. I drove the 14 miles up this winding road, which was fun, to the top but couldn't see that much. There was some snow around but the road was clear of it. I could imagine how spectacular the views are on a clear day. The wind that high up is cold so bring a sweater, particularly if you're going to walk about. The trail looked interesting but it was so miserably cold and windy that I snapped a few pictures and headed off down the hill. I would love to revisit in better weather.

1  Thank Adrienne P

Reviewed December 24, 2013

A bit worried about the snowy road before we went there, but it turned out to be safe to drive up top. You'll get the best view and take gorgeous pictures. Definitely a must-see! We didn't try the tramway(over-priced!) and thought driving to the top on our own should be more fun. We were right! Just drive slowly and be careful about those turns. Wear waterproof snow boots as you'll step into the snow!

Reviewed December 10, 2013

I have been up the byway probably a half dozen times since I been here in Albuquerque. Especially since its snowed, absolutely beautiful. The roads can seem snowy and unsafe. I promise, they salt the roads. At least up to the ski resort the roads seem fine. Beyond that, its a little slippery if you have improper tires. But with good all seasonal and a slow speed, its OK. If the clouds are not lingering above, the view is excellent. A bit cold, the view makes it worth it.

Reviewed November 2, 2013

The drive up the Sandia Crest Byway is a challenge as you wind your way up the mountain to the crest. You pass through forests and have many chances to stop and admire the tremendous views from on high. When you finally arrive at the top, don't forget to pay your parking fee before admiring the views. You can see forever from up here and the views are breathtaking down in to Albuquerque and to the east. The gift shop/snack bar was disappointing as we were hoping for some more information or a small visitor center.

Reviewed October 14, 2013

We drove up Sandia Crest Byway to the top...amazing views. It was a beautiful drive and due to government shutdown, we didn't have to pay to park!