“the bar is better than the food...and thats not saying much”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Pete's Mexican Restaurant & Cantina
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Families with children, Large groups, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed April 16, 2012

the food is basic, nothing special that would ever make me jump at the idea of returning. i live nearby so i find myself back here when family is in town, often just because there is no wait on a sat night (hint). im not saying the food is terrible...just nothing special. to be honest id rather make my own dinner than end up paying for food from pete's. the bar is ok and sometimes has a decent band playing so that can make it worth while on occasion. not a place id dress up to go to.

1  Thank webb1704

Reviewed March 31, 2012

We live in the east mountains and eat mexican out about once a month - sometimes more. We used to go to several different places in town (Sadies, Padillas, Mary and Titos, etc etc). Once Pete's opened - we go nowhere else! I also want to state that we live South of the interstate, so Pete's is actually further than most of the places in town. The bad - we actually had a poor waitress one time when we went. We have never seen her again and never had a repeat of the experience. The great - mexican food! we have tried almost everything on the menu and it is all hot, fresh, and delicious! Service is always good, most of the time it is great. Pete's is usually not packed, so it's easy to get a table without waiting (something that never happens in town!). The best for last - the Sopapillas are huge, hot, fresh, and totally to die for! if you have never tried Pete's, you must give it a try, you will not regret it!!!

Reviewed March 28, 2012

The food was awful and the service was worse. We have been here before but it seems to be going steadily down hill. I ordered what was once my favorite greek salad with grapes leaves> Sounds a little crazy at a mexican place but it used to be really good, housemade dressing, fresh grapeleaves... This time around the gradeleaves were like mush on a pile of old greens. The waitress said "oh yeah, we"re using the jarred grapeleaves now... yuk. They are still charging the same amount! Everything we ordered at our table was BAD. We ran in to some friends at another table and they were grossed out too. Seems to be on it's last leg. Don't waste your money!

Reviewed January 7, 2012

My wife and I decided to have dinner out on a Thursday night. We like sitting in the lounge area. We like the large booths that we can slide next to each other. They have done a nice job fixing up the interior. Much better than the old Pete's.
After reading some of the reviews, I felt I had to comment. I have been going here since it re-opened and never had an issue with the food or the service. We live here in the east mountains and are thankful that Pete's re-opened after the failures of several other brands that have inhabited that building.
Very good red chile and the stuffed sopapilla's are awesome.
Last Thursday, I had the Half Breed and the steak was cooked just the way I like it, Med rare. Of course I had my whole plate smothered in that great red chile. Service was very friendly and accommodating.

Rand
www.newmexicochileproducts.com

1  Thank Rand R
Reviewed January 5, 2012

The food is awful and the service is unprofessional. The prices are high. I'm surprised this place is still open. They tried to doll the place up inside and out but the service and food bring it all down.