“Someone gave us incorrect info!” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Ohkay Casino Resort Hotel

Ohkay Casino Resort Hotel
Dorchester, Nebraska
“Someone gave us incorrect info!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2014

when we called to find out which table games were offered. The room was fine, the price was right but we never would have stayed if they had gave us the true facts. Our whole vacation itinary had to be redone. Its a nice area!

Room Tip: it's mostly a slot machine casino!
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 stars
1 Thank Tom S

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Vega, TX
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2014

We didn't stay in the hotel, so I can't comment on that. We just stopped in on our way home. The casino is rather small, but had a lot more interesting slots to play than Buffalo Thunder, where we had stayed the night before. And they paid out rather well! I played minimum bets, but still managed to double my money & played on the same $20 for nearly 3.5 hrs. The employees we encountered were very friendly and helpful. The same slot attendant kept following me around & standing over my shoulder, watching me play and cheering me on. It was a little creepy, but I took it in the spirit in which it was presented...he was just interested to see how I was doing. He had helped me with a non-cooperating machine earlier, so I guess he thought we were buddies, after that! LOL! At least it's better than rude, non-responsive staff. Also, the entire time we were at Buffalo Thunder, not once did the beverage cart make its way around to us, but in the short time we were at Ohkay, we were not even able to finish one beverage, before they were around again, asking if we wanted more. For someone who gets very thirsty in smoky casinos, I was very pleased. So, to recap, I can't comment on the hotel, but the casino was great. So much so that, next time we make a trip to the Santa Fe area for gambling, Buffalo Thunder is out as an overpriced, underperforming option & Ohkay is in!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars
5 Thank ruralakay
La Salle, Colorado
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2014

We take our yearly trip to Chimayo NM and due to a full booking at our regular hotel, decided to stay here...it had been about 6 years since we had stayed here and it was apparent from our check-in experience, the service and professionalism had deteriorated. Initially, we find our price quote from our phone reservation was not going to be honored and to make matters worse, the total check-in time took 1.5 hours....not an exaggeration!! Staff was incompetent and slow and had to also tend to customers in the gift shop. Our room was missing the complimentary shampoo/conditioner and hand soap - however, not a deal breaker. The air conditioner was only working about half the time so our room was uncomfortable while we tried to sleep. We were in a non-smoking room but the smell from the casino was overwhelming.The tv in our room was outdated with 7 channels to select from, while other members of our party had a newer flat screen tv. We also tried the breakfast buffet offered in the hotel cafe and had to wait 20 mins just to be seated. In addition, there was no offering of ham, bacon or non-turkey sausage in the buffet - No bacon?? In the evening, we ordered two ice cream cones from the snack bar and It took 15 minutes to receive the order of only ice cream cones. The pool was disgusting - there were cups, napkins, band aids and leaf debris in the water, which had not been cleaned during our 3 day stay. The only positive experience came from the Starbucks coffee bar, staff was friendly and the breakfast burritos were excellent! They also had a good selection of pastries. Will not stay here again!!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
6 Thank RozW240

Travelers are raving about these Ohkay Owingeh (San Juan Pueblo) hotels

Santa Fe, New Mexico
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2014 via mobile

This property is friendly fun and clean. The restaurant is great ! They have the best breakfast in northern New Mexico with the most varied spread anywhere. We had the Saturday night Asian buffet for 1299 and what a bargain! Shrimp oysters sushi homemade egg rolls pork Rolls egg drop soup etc. etc. we will return

• Stayed June 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars
2 Thank TigerinSF
Rio Rancho
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2014 via mobile

I work in espanola a few times a year and decided to try this hotel. I think I avoided before because it sounded to good to be true. Surprise! It was true for the great price you get a nice clean room. It was very roomy too. The room would be perfect if the shower were updated and the staff were friendly. I plan to make this my new go to place.

Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Roswell, New Mexico
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2014

I would not call this a "resort", but it's a just oh-kay hotel, with a somewhat decent little casino if you are into slots, and not table games. Don't expect the latest slots, but rather some that you may not be familiar with, or have disappeared from other area casinos. Video poker machines are limited. The property is nothing fancy, but can serve as a stopover on the way from Santa Fe to Taos. A word of warning about the buffet- although prices are good, the food quality is awful. I've been to other area casino buffets, and enjoyed them. Not so for this one, which has about the worst quality buffet food I have tasted in years. The selection is minimal, and I passed up about half of the items that didn't look very fresh or appetizing. I would describe the buffet food as salty, old and greasy. The only thing I enjoyed was the coffee. One of the beef main course dishes looked like a dump bin for yesterdays vegetables, with wilted broccoli etc. I finally set the dish aside as I felt like someone had poured the salt shaker into it, at which point I noticed hair in the recipe.Service depends on the waitress. One waitress was almost running to take care of everyone, while 2 others stood by the coffee pot talking to each other. Another was trying her best, but with what appeared to be a cold should not have been working around food. Desert was a joke, consisting of tall slices of dried out looking cake with a paper thin layer of frosting. I passed up the cake, and settled on a piece of pie which was no better. It appeared to be a low quality generic supermarket fruit pie which had not yet warmed to room temperature after being refrigerated, or refrozen. Do your stomach a favor and stay away from this buffet.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
3 Thank spacepilot500
Alexandria
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2014

The casino and its restaurant are average for a NM casino, although there are good weekend food specials. What one needs to watch are the police patrols in the area, which ticket people for strange violations: not parking squarely in a parking space, not dimming headlights quickly enough, stopping at a stop sign with the nose of the case a couple of feet in front of the stop sign. It is hard to say whether the place is worth it or not.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Ptolemy A
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ohkay Owingeh (San Juan Pueblo)
Cities of Gold Casino Hotel
#7 of 61 in Santa Fe
4.5 of 5 stars 796 reviews
Comfort Inn & Suites Los Alamos
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Los Alamos Entrada Park

Been to Ohkay Casino Resort Hotel? Share your experiences!