“Good Burger, Great Experience”
Review of Buckhorn Tavern

Buckhorn Tavern
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch
Reviewed September 28, 2012

I went as a single and shared a table with a local...so I had some guidance.

First, don't go between 11:30 and 1:00...it is crowded, they are slow, and everyone knows this.

Second, I don't know if it is the best green chili burger in the world or the 7th best hamburger in the world, but order the basic green chili burger, period. No sides. A drink if you want it. Period. You will have enough to eat. It is good.

Third, there is no atmosphere, which means it is full of local color. Soak it in as you wait. Besides, are you really in that much of a hurry to get to Los Cruces or Albuquerque?

Fourth, it is not gormet...it is a green chili burger in San Antonio, New Mexico for gosh sakes.

Finally, if you're on I-25 stop off. At worst, you will have a story to tell when someone speaks of going to the Southwest.

1  Thank Dukeu3x

Reviewed September 17, 2012

Let's face it - there is really only one reason to be seeking out the Buckhorn, and that's for their famous Green Chile Cheeseburger. I imagine the other food on the menu is just as good, but I can't go there without ordering the GCC. Yes, you will probably have to wait for a table, and no there is no true "hostess" to greet you when you walk in, so if you can't stand a short wait or you have to feel loved the moment you walk into a building, this might not be the place for you. The food, however, is delicious, and worth the wait, and once you are seated the staff is very friendly and efficient. Bobby, the owner and chef who beat Bobby Flay in the Green Chile throwdown, is incredibly friendly, and when he isnt in the small kitchen preparing food, he is out visiting all the tables and spreading laughs around the restaurant. If you are driving through the Land of Enchantment, be sure to check out this little gem.

1  Thank coulterite
Reviewed August 17, 2012

We arrived about 1 pm and we were seated immediately in a booth - mid restaurant. The first thing we noticed were the pictures on the walls from the atomic test age and the newspaper articles where Bobby Flay got whooped.

The service was quick and the food was plentiful (served on Styrofoam plates - okay I'm into saving a few bucks too, but Styrofoam in a sit down?). There is a large TV on the wall over the bar, but it is blocked by a metal cut-out of a deer for most of the seats.

The floor moves like a 4.0 Earthquake when anyone over 45 pounds walks on it. Our server was great, she checked back with us every few minutes and refilled the drinks (except the beer-darn it!)

The food was GREAT! My wife had the Green Chili Cheeseburger and I had the Green Chilli Burrito. We thought the burger was awesome. My burrito was excellent, with green chilli throughout the monster. (I should be out of the hospital in a few days...)

SERIOUSLY.. GREAT FOOD!

Two negatives during this visit; the floor vibrated anytime someone walked on it and the mens restroom was NASTY! The area around the door frame and behind the toilet haven't seen the proper attention in a LONG TIME.

Reviewed July 28, 2012

They open at 11:00 AM & I recommend you get there then or be prepared to wait to be seated, but it is well worth the wait. Excellent burgers & fries. If you want a beer with lunch, make sure you have ID, even if you look 80 years old. Apparently New Mexico flags drivers licenses of persons convicted of DUI & it is against the law to serve them liquor.

Reviewed July 19, 2012

The Green-Chile Cheeseburger was the best I've ever had, and possibly the best hamburger I've ever had. Bonus: right by Bosque del Apache for for great bird-watching!

1  Thank jpkitty