“Amazing retreat with fantastic staff”

Rhulani Safari Lodge
Reviewed August 30, 2012

We loved our stay at Rhulani and were sorry to leave. We stayed in the Family Suite which had two gorgeous bedrooms and a lovely relaxing lounge area. The bathrooms each had outside showers which were quite an experience. We loved the large plunge pool on our sun deck. We could see the waterhole from it and watch all the animals come and go. One time there were over 10 elephants drinking there. The Lodge is very open and has the right balance of luxury and relaxation. All the staff were very friendly and helpful. Maryka and Jeanette made sure we had everything we needed. Our game drives were exceptional, mainly due to the enthusiasm, knowledge and cheerfulness of our Ranger, Jacques. He went out of his way to make each drive different, and we saw an incredible variety of game including 4 out of the Big Five. The food was delicious and they were always happy to offer an alternative if our teenagers were not sure about the menu. Eating outside in the Boma on the last night was the icing on the cake. Would love to return.

Room Tip: We loved the Family Suite - rooms 3/4. It offered a great view of the waterhole whilst maintaining p...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family

Reviewed August 23, 2012

I have been to Rhulani a number of times and each and every time has been an amazing experience! The staff are warm and friendly and happy to assist, catering to your every need, often going out of their way to please. Maryka and jeanette are fabulous, with their kind and happy dispositions, it is always pleasant to see them smiling after game drives! The facilities are wonderful, the deck is my favorite I could stand and gaze out on the waterhole all day. The rooms are spacious and comfortable and fitting to the beautiful surroundings.

The Game viewing is phenomenal, Madikwe in itself is truly something everyone should experience at least once, these are game drives that cannot be compared to any other. the rangers make it their mission to show you the most incredible things. Rhulani have wonderful Rangers, Chris Grant and Jacques all of whom are amazing at what they do, a true pleasure! My ranger Grant is fantastic, he has an outstanding knowledge and passion for the bush, he has made my times at Rhulani all the more memorable.

I would recommend a stay at Rhulani to anyone.
A worthwhile and lovely experience!
Well done!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed August 23, 2012

This our second time at Rhulani safari lodge, but our fourth time at
Madikwe and we don't know why we tried anywhere else rather than Rhulani. The setting around the water hole is amazing and I love the openness of the lodge. We arrived to check in, only to find a herd of elephant drinking on a 100 m from us. Amazing. As we remembered the staff are awesome and nothing is too much problem. Our game drives with our ranger Grant where really informative and exciting.
We are lucky enough to travel on a regular bases in South Africa and overseas and have decided the best shower in the world is the outside shower in room five overlooking the water hole. All sorts of animals cavorting around it.
In short, Rhulani is our little eden.

• Stayed: August 2012
Reviewed July 22, 2012

The location of Rhulani is perfect - an easy drive from the entrance to the Reserve. The facilities are incredible! The accommodations were luxurious, private, and beautiful.

I was very impressed with the staff. They greeted us upon arrival and took great care of us throughout the stay. Our game drives were breathtaking and we managed to see so many more animals than I ever imagined we would.

I plan to return with my husband for a quiet getaway!

Room Tip: All the individual lodges are private and beautiful. You can't go wrong!
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 16, 2012

We picked Rhulani after not knowing much about it mainly because it was in the Madikwe reserve, and we certainly were not disappointed with out choice. The drive from Johannesburg was easy and from the gate its a very short ride to Rhulani.

The staff and their welcome were lovely and the room was right by the waterhole and very comfortable. The game viewing was of course wonderful - it is Madikwe after all, but the stay was made by the easy going, friendly and helpful staff. We had our mini bar stocked with our drinks choices in no time and snacks delivered while we lazed the afternoon away watching the buck and elephants drink at the waterhole. My advice - dont be shy to ask for anything you may need at all, they are very happy to supply all your needs but because of the nature of bush lodges during the day you will be left to relax and enjoy your time so dont wait for offers, just let them know and its done in flash.

The food was very good and more than ample and the in room massage was also very enjoyable. The game drives were wonderful and the guides really do go the extra mile to get you to the animals and make you have a good time. We had an almost lion kill, a close encounter with both elephant and a hyena and her cub - and saw almost all animals you could think off on top of the great birding. One night we even had the two big male lions walk through camp.

I have no hesitation at all in saying come here - the lodge is wonderful - the staff are fantastic and you will never go wrong with game viewing in Madikwe.

Room Tip: Room 4 as mentioned right in front of the waterhole was fabulous and the viewing made leaving the de...
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 25, 2012

My wife and I stayed at Rhulani for 4 wonderful nights! On arrival at madikwe game reserve we were directed to Rhulani from the main gate by the polite guard. On our short drive ro Rhulani camp we were dissapointed to see a "borrow pit" in clear view of the entrance road with tractors and trucks excavating soil for the maintenance of the roads.. We quickly shut this out of our minds and on arrival at the lodge we were warmly greeted by the staff and management. The entrance to the lodge is great with sweeping views of the adjacent valley and fantastic deck area to view the lodge's waterhole! We were escorted to our room and were delighted to find a beautifully decorated and airy bungalow complete with morso stove, great bathroom and wooden deck with plunge pool. We nodded off and were woken by a heard of wildebeest grazing all around us. We then headed to the lodge for our first game drive where we were warmly greeted by our ranger Kenneth. While enjoying some high tea snacks and a beverage before our drive we gazed at the waterhole frequented by a variet of antelope and bird species. The game drive was unforgettable, we saw the resident pack of wild dogs kill two impala rams against the fence and glowingly returned to camp to a five star dining experience under the stars. The rest of our stay was filled with more delicous food, fantastic wildlife sightings and lots of merry banter with the rest of the guests. A special note must go to our ranger Kenneth who was incredibly knowledgeable of the fauna and flora of the Madikwe reserve. He cared expertly for his guests and had a fantastic sense of humour, making our stay memorable in every sense!

Room Tip: Try to get a room with a view of the waterhole if possible!
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 13, 2012

My experience of Rhulani was not only an “A” grade experience, but the excellent service, friendly and helpful staff and the awesome game drives made me feel as if I’m living in a fairy tale, the only thing is that the food at Rhulani was much more tastier and professionally presented then I had pictured in my Fairy tale.

We arrived at the lodge late Friday afternoon, where we were greeted and introduced to some of the staff... (Which was awesome….!!) I must say the smiles and the professionalism sparkled from the Rhulani staff…..especially the contagious smiles… you can’t help smiling back at the staff, it actually made you forget about everything and made you look forward to see what they have to offer you.

We were escorted to our rooms and I can’t say more than WOW!!!... The rooms were WOW!! It gave you the whole Bush veld feeling… but in a safe luxurious environment. The view from the rooms were immaculate, especially the view you have over the water hole, after seeing an elephant drinking water at the water hole… I couldn’t help myself standing time after time on the wooden deck outside, staring into the horizon looking for more animals….

As a person who grew up on a farm and a person who loves being outdoors…. I have a general veld and animal knowledge and obviously an eager learner, I have been to a few self-drive game farms as well as a few other lodges, but the experience I had with Rhulani’s rangers was out of this world.

It was one of the most knowledgeable game drives I have ever been on, and the game rangers actually track the animals through “spoor identification” which is something unique, out of all the years being to places and on game drives…… this was a first for me, must say… after a while when everybody got the hang of for what “spoor” we were looking for…. It got very interesting… everybody on the drive participated and I think through this we saw a lot more animals and learned a lot more than you would on other game drives.

The food was absolutely delicious, and I had the opportunity to meet the chef…. I had to compliment him on making a mean steak.

My whole experience at Rhulani was a lot better than my Fairy Tale I had in mind, all the Rhulani staff are very professional and always friendly, from the manager to the game rangers to the night guard who wakes you up with a smile early in the mornings, they made me feel like family…. But in Luxury and in the African Bushveld

I had the time of my life this weekend, and will certainly return
Thank you.