Madikwe Safari Lodge
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
All reviewsplunge pooleco housewild dogsgame drivesthe reserveoutdoor showersafari lodgewonderful experiencelanding stripcape townlittle touchesthe entire staffranger guidespent nightshis knowledgeevery eveninghis job
FilterAll languages
Reviewed April 11, 2014

Spent 3 days at Madikwe Safari Lodge as part of my South Africa trip. From the wonderful greeting upon arrival to the spacious room with separate plunge pool, to the delicious and never ending food to the vast knowledge of our guide, Lucky, everything was perfect. The game viewing was incredible and Lucky worked tirelessly to ensure that we saw everything. He drove and drove to finally locate a pack of the endangered African Wild Dogs for us to view. He is so knowledgeable and personable and never tired of answering numerous questions. Madikwe Safari Lodge is a gem in the South African bush.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank JERROC
Reviewed April 9, 2014

For my wife and me, this was our first safari, and the team from the Madikwe Safari Lodge made sure it was a five-star experience. The food was wonderful (felt like we were always eating!), the rooms were luxurious (especially considering we were in a remote area of South Africa) and the game drives were very educational and exhilarating. Martin was a delight with his encyclopedic knowledge of the bush -- from ants and termite mounds to birds and plant life to the Big Five.

And when our ride back to Jo-burg broke down, the lodge worked to get us on a plane out on short notice to connect successfully with our international flight. All the staff were very courteous and friendly. I highly recommend the Madikwe Safari Lodge.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank connoisseur321
Reviewed March 30, 2014

Having never been on a safari, I researched for months on where my husband and I should stay. We chose Madikwe Safari Lodge based on reviews and we were not disappointed. We were picked up at the airstrip only 10 minutes away from the lodge and every detail from that point was 5 star.

On arrival, we were greeted by our host Godfrey and immediately made to feel at home. We were escorted to our private suites with our own outdoor pool, shower and amazing view of the plains.

Over the course of the 4 game drives, Billy (our fantastic guide/tracker/friend) went out of his way to ensure we saw everything on our wish list. He also showed us the local birds, insects and flora (especially tree stumps - inside joke). We enjoyed sundowners on the evening drives and coffee in the bush on early game drives.

We enjoyed the food which included an amazing boma our first night and the staff (special thanks to Godfrey and Moses) were extremely attentive and friendly.

This was an amazing experience and I would highly recommend the Madikwe Safari Lodge.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank skolenski
Reviewed March 19, 2014

We had a wonderful time at Madikwe. Our ranger Nicky was simply the best. Tireless, she would do anything for us to spot the big 5 and even the big 7! Accommodation was also great, the room is very spacious and we stayed in a family lodge with a separate room for the kids.

The decor is very tasteful.

Food was also good.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank BiancaAbud
Reviewed March 16, 2014

What a great experience. My son and I flew into Madikwe and were picked up in a jeep with guide from the lodge. On the way to Lelapa Lodge we saw elephants and lions. What a great start. Arriving at the main lodge we were greeted with warm wash clothes to freshen up. Every time we returned we were greeted this way. Our luggage was taken to our individual suites and we were welcomed with drinks and a brief orientation.

The lodge was beautifully decorated and extremely comfortable. We ate our meals in one of two dining rooms there and met before our daily treks into the bush. Our suite was a free-standing building that my son referred to as a Hobbit house. It contained a room with two twin beds, a seating area, a double vanity, free standing tub, separate shower and toilet area. There were ceiling to floor windows and two double french doors to the outside. We had a fire place but didn't use it while we were there. The outdoor deck included a shower, spa pool, table and chaise lounges overlooking the bush. Some in our group saw elephants and giraffes from their decks. The only criticism we had was that the sink area and shower were not a separate room but open to the rest of the suite. For a couple it might be OK but for a mother and son - not so good. My son put pillows in the shower opening when either of us showered.

The food was outstanding. We were served fruit, muffins, juice, coffee, & tea, etc. before going out animal viewing each morning and we stopped for coffee, tea, hot chocolate, and muffins or cookies while out, had a full breakfast upon return, could have lunch, had snacks before we went out in the afternoon, had drinks and appetizers while out and had dinner when we returned. Reminded me of a cruise.

The dinners were delicious. We had a choice of three courses. A soup or salad, a choice of three entrees, and of two desserts. While there we tried ostrich, eland, and kudu. All of the food was wonderful but the eland was a huge hit. It was better than beef. It was a gourmet treat and there was wine, beer or other spirits to accompany each meal. I had my new favorite wine - Pinotage.

The staff was excellent. Margaret took care of all our meals, Lucky was a phenomenal guide, Moses made sure we got to our rooms safely at night, and we had wonderful massages.

I can't say enough about what an experience of a lifetime this was.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family