Madikwe Safari Lodge
Room 50 Two(Gaborone)
$192
Travelocity
Hotels.com
All reviewsplunge pooleco housewild dogsgame drivesthe reserveoutdoor showersafari lodgewonderful experiencelanding stripcape townlittle touchesthe entire staffranger guidespent nightshis knowledgeevery eveninghis job
FilterAll languages
Reviewed October 31, 2013

I was fortunate to spend two nights at Madikwe with special South African friends and I loved every minute of it - even getting up at 5 AM for the morning game drive. JP, our ranger, was informative, fun and clearly in love with the Bush, so he worked extra hard to ensure we saw the Big 5, which we were blessed to experience. It was a joy to see him so excited over every sighting, and his attentiveness to our needs, safety and overall experience was genuine.

The lodge and rooms are beautiful - serene, spacious and meticulously clean. The outdoor shower, sunning area and individual plunge pool are special features; private and in tune with the natural feel of the place. Returning from an evening game drive to a candlelit suite with a steaming hot bubble bath drawn by my personal housekeeper was a special and welcome surprise. It was just what I needed to ease into sleep after a long day. If only my husband had been on the trip with me (I was in South Africa on business)! Everything about the room is perfect for the venue. The housekeeper leaves little notes on a chalkboard each day; a special touch and a great way to communicate back to her any special requests.

The staff at Madikwe learns your name immediately and ensures they remember exactly how you like things. You are "assigned" a server who quickly learns your preferences and ensures they are met at every meal. Pieter and his team do an outstanding job with the "front office" part of the operation, even surprising our group with wine and cheese in the bush during one of our safaris. It was amazing to pull into an open area and find them there with a "cocktail" hour set up just for us, lit by the African sunset and set to the soundtrack of the bush.

The food is abundant and delicious and ambiance is in keeping with being in the bush. The dinner in the Boma is delicious; that it is under the South African night sky is particularly beautiful. Madikwe is a place that leaves an indelible image on your heart. I hope to return here again with my husband and feel blessed to have experienced this truly special place.

Room Tip: Room 8 was just the right distance from the main lodge to feel private without being too far away.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank KCMorris2013
Reviewed October 30, 2013

Lodge facilities are wonderful. Each individual lodge supports a maximum 8 people with individual luxury suites. Opportunity to go on two safari game drives a day, early in morning and again late in afternoon. Largest game reserve in South Africa. Lion World Tours organized our trip. Kids under 16 will not appreciate this fabulous experience.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 30, 2013

This was my first visit to Madikwe and I absolutely loved it! The service was very personalized, the food was fresh and delicious (the waiter comes out and introduces himself every night), and the rooms were extraordinary (own plunge pool, outdoor shower, beautiful view of the brush). Our safari guide, Kenny, was very good in getting us to the right spots to see the Big 5 and had true stories to share from his time as a tour guide. This place was definitely worth every penny and I would love to go back again one day!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 13, 2013 via mobile

Madikwe game reserve is a private reserve started after Aparteid 20 years ago. Investors brought the initial animals back to the preserve from all over Africa, but now the preserve mature. There are 20-30 lodges around the preserve that are built and offer a great safari adventure. Our tour started with Lion World tours and booked our stay at Madikwe Safari Lodge. We stayed three night and had a total of 6 safari rides in a very well designed land rover with a ranger, Stephanie, who is German. She was incredible and satisfied our every desire and answered every question. The highlight was finding two male lions scavaging a hippo which had previously died of natural causes. The jackals sat in waiting as the lions spent the entire half hour we were there teaming up to work on feeding themselves from the tough hide of the hippo. The rides started early (530am), you had a private wake up knock and had coffee before quickly heading out. Stayed out at least 3 hours viewing wild dog, elephant, lion, kudu, impala, hippo, rhinoceros, and other . You then had breakfast and relaxed until 4pm to have a High Tea and then headed back out at 515 pm until dark for the drive. (Lunch if you wanted it). The food is ok and they will cater to your requests. The room was fabulous with good sir conditioning , mini bar fully stocked, bathtub and walk in shower and king sized bed. Beautifully designed interior and exterior to blend with the natural landscapes. The room also had a private plunge pool and very nice deck for each room. The privacy of the room is great as you lay on the chaise lounge you may see a Giraffe walk. By about. 50 yards away where the lodge installed an electric fence to protect the lodge . It was spring while we were there and did not have to utilize the fireplaces in each room. My wife freaked when I told her about wanting to visit Africa and do a safari but guys this lodge and game reserve is the perfect trade off

Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Jim S
Reviewed October 8, 2013

this is my 2nd visit to Madikwe safari lodge over a year ago and it got better, I enjoyed my 2 nights stay, room is specious with own plunger pool, free wifi at main lodge and excellent mobile signal coverage , JP the ranger was flexible w and dedicated towards showing what guest most interests game viewing,

will come back.