“The very best!”

Madikwe Safari Lodge
Reviewed August 19, 2013

Our family of 4 adults and 2 kids-7 and 3-spent 4 days at this property. It was the experience of a lifetime. All accomodations, safaris, food, and children activities are included in the price. Our driver Andre was knowledegable and provided safe travel in a 10-seater Toyota open carriage cruiser. At night the children ate first, then taken back to our cabins by child care workers, and the adults had private time until bedtime. Special safaris each day for the kids where they made plaster of paris casts of animal tracks and followed "dung trails!!" Everyday was educational and filled with native animals. Don't miss it!

Room Tip: Modern cabins, all the same, nearby to the main eating and business center lodge.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family

Reviewed August 18, 2013

If this is your first time going on safari - this place is fantastic and you will have the time of your life. No need to read any further!

As for me, I am an expat who lives in South Africa and I get to go on safari - a lot. Every time I have friends visiting I jump at the opportunity to go again - and I always go the 5-star luxury route - so all of my comments are comparing Madikwe to other 5-star luxury camps.

First and foremost - they did a great job of keeping me warm! Last winter when I went on safari I literally needed a week to thaw out once I got home. Madikwe Safari Lodge was great - fires everywhere!

Wonderful lodge and fantastic common areas - just big enough to give everyone their own space - but small enough that it is cozy.

The rooms are phenomenal - they literally could not be better. I went with a friend and had been apprehensive about the bathroom arrangement - from the floor plan on the website it looked like it was very open - but it is actually much more private than it looked. The shower was amazing - almost too amazing, I started to feel guilty about how long I stayed in! Very comfortable bed, a fire roaring in the fireplace every night when we came back, great views from the bed.

Food was very good and the chef was lovely.

I chose Madikwe for one reason, and one reason only - to see wild dogs and it did not disappoint on that front. As for other wildlife, we did not see the volume that I've seen elsewhere - but the quality was outstanding. An up close encounter with two rhinos - a fresh lion kill - lots and lots of elephants. Not very many types of antelopes. Our ranger was good - but a little too focused on finding the Big 5 which is not really my speed - but I understand that this what most people are looking for and he had more than just me to please :) - my one issue was that he spent a lot of time apologizing for what we weren't seeing - instead of just letting us delight in what we were seeing - and taking in the beauty of the bush.

One note of caution - Madikwe (the entire reserve) does not have great signage and it was super tricky to find the place. Make sure you fill up on petrol before heading into the park - and bring their directions - we did not and Google maps took us on an extra long route that got us so far off course that when we called the Lodge even they did not know where we were!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Anneel
Reviewed August 15, 2013

The team here are very friendly, warm & welcoming. The rooms are luxurious and we loved that the fire was lit for us every evening we returned back from our game drive. Our ranger was one of the most passionate rangers I've ever had, and I will always remember Madikwe Safari Lodge for providing me with my first ever sighting of the rare & elusive wild dogs!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 25, 2013

Wow! Words cannot describe the amazing lodge, staff, game, accommodation and service! Simply a fabulous experience!!!!!!! Experienced fabulous sightings 4 of the big five and ever so close to spotting the leopard! The white and black rhino's are a memory! To Hannes, Greg and Lebo as well as all the other staff members - COMPLIMENTS to you all!!!

Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank Johan and Mathi... K
Reviewed July 12, 2013

We just returned home after a fabulous 6 days at Madikwe Safari Lodge (Lelapa) the 3rd week of June. Words cannot describe what a wonderful experience we all had! We saw the Big 5, including lion brothers on their kill (which our ranger had helped relocate from another reserve), a pride of female lions with their cubs, elephants everywhere with calves, rhinos with calves, and a rare leopard and herd of buffalo on the last day. We saw 3 different cheetahs (including one our ranger again helped relocate from another reserve), and many many other animals, including warthog, jackal, impala, springbok, steenbok, kudu, hartebeest, wildebeest, zebra, giraffe with young ones and also a very pregnant giraffe who I imagine gave birth very soon after that, and just too many other numerous animals to mention. And last but definitely not least, a thrilling sighting of the elusive wild dogs chasing an impala through the bush!! All I can say about all the sightings, especially the wild dogs is that our ranger Daniel ROCKS!!!! Saw so many animals and so many spectacular views and sunrises and sunsets and even the small things such as insects and birds and other small creatures, including a den full of banded mongoose!!! And yes, we even saw the very rare aardvark!!! Thanks to Daniel and Kevin and the rest of the lodge staff, service was excellent, rooms perfect, food delicious and plentiful (including the boma braai's), we were made to feel very special by the entire staff and we are booked already to see you all again in October! We cannot wait...

Room Tip: We stayed in #1, the furthest away from the Main Lodge in the Lelapa Lodge. The walk was not objec...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank DLady69
Reviewed July 6, 2013

exceeded expectations, couldnt fault it in anyway. the game drives were spectacular , saw the big seven , much closer than expected!! the african skies were beautiful. The care and attention from the staff were wonderful with hot water bottles for the cold mornings drives, fires lit in our suites for the evenings. The food was exceptional standard with Kudu, eland and warthog on the menu, The gripping drama of whether the lion cubs would survive the stalking male lion was an everyday reality unfolding before our eyes.
toptips. take beanie hat and gloves and lots of layers ( honestly its cold when the sun goes down !) and suncream.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank scamps-mum
Reviewed June 17, 2013 via mobile

I had been here in 2011 when it was run by And Beyond... It was great then but even better now! I've been on more than a few Safaris and this lodge is my favorite. The cottages are five star with every amenity. The service is so good you hardly notice it as everything is made so easy. Ask for Billy as you game drive guide. He's highly knowledgable, funny and was great with kids. Fun fact... This lodge has two parts. One for couples with kids (Lelapa Lodge) and one without. Completely separate... So no worries either way. Thanks again to Billy, Joyce, Thabo, Lorato and JP for an awesome time! P.s. take the flight from Federal Air directly into the bush. Save hours and adds another cool element to an already awesome experience. Cheers!

• Stayed: June 2013