Three nights at River House - fantastic. Just to emphasize the things that make it special and that may not have been covered in other reviews:
1) the people - what a great team, working seamlessly on every detail. Outside - Mark & Gummy - so talented at finding animals and also educating along the way. Inside - Lindy and Asion take care of everything, and at the same time are open to changing anything and cheerfully accommodate even the most unexpected request.
2) its not a 'lodge' like the others - its your own wonderful house with three large bedrooms, baths, outdoor terraces, pool, fireplaces, etc and a team of 10+ people
3) The food and wine are exceptional, and you can work with the team on every meal and customize for each person, or just have them surprise you. Asion's fine dining experiences in the US and Europe were clear at every meal, while he and Lindy also delivered great dishes for our three kids (including one vegan, and one certainly not.) Ask for his breakfast 'special.' You also have access to the owner's private cellar (for a small surcharge) including some rare ZA wines acquired at auction.
4) Animals - a lot of them, and at your own pace. We saw Cheetah, Black Rhino, White Rhino including a baby, lions and more lions, all the other usual suspects, elephants, giraffe, and some obscure and rare, and lingered as we wanted (e.g. an hour following a pride, and watching very cute cubs.) Go out early, late, whenever you'd like. And you'll have a ranger and tracker (we saw other places that only had one person.) Hopefully you'll have Mark and Gummy - the best.
5) Safety - No worries about malaria (we were concerned about the medications with young kids) and the lodge is surrounded with a nice fence, unlike some others, so you can walk about with confidence. And we were glad to support the overall Madikwe effort.
Long review - could simply say 'you'll have a great time.'
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Morukuru Family is a collection of three exclusive-use private safari villas on private property in the Madikwe Game Reserve. Owner's House has 2 bedrooms, River House has 3 bedrooms and Farm House has 5 bedrooms. We welcome children of all ages and are very family friendly. Our 'Morukuru Freedom Concept' means that our guests have total freedom to do whatever they want, whenever they want. During their stay in one of the private houses all activities are included, as well as all meals and drinks. We provide a private gamedrive vehicle for each house, including a private guide and a tracker. The rest of the staff at the house comprises of a private chef, a butler and general housekeeping staff. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity and Orbitz so you can book your Morukuru Family Madikwe reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Morukuru Family Hotel Madikwe Game Reserve