“A brilliant family holiday”

Buffalo Ridge Lodge
London, United Kingdom
“A brilliant family holiday”
Reviewed March 23, 2012

At first we were rather cautious about the Lodge. having sons who were 5 and 7 meant that the open plan living, the lack of barriers to semi steep drops meant that our first afternoon was stuffed full of our rather British health and safety concerns, but funnily enough within a very short time we had acclimatized beautifully and the kids learnt to watch their step. It's an African bush lodge, unfenced from the rest of the reserve, it's not a resort and that is the best way to think of it. Not that the surroundings aren't beautiful, stylish and without pretension, but it's got a charm you have to embrace. The staff are friendly and helpful but not overbearing, occasionally you had to knock on the kitchen door in the mid afternoon to get some water, but surely that's better than overbearing staff? The place is run with a light touch, our children were welcomed and encouraged to play and feel at home. The pool is great and we had sole use most afternoons - we went mid week for 5 days. The food varied and delicious and they were happy to adapt to our whims. So, leaving the best till last - the game drives. Our mid week stay meant we had the jeep and the guide, Lazarus to ourselves for quite a few drives. And how we all enjoyed them. He would take one of our sons in the front with him and each drive gave us a varied and inventive range of experiences and animals. From my youngest waking up after snoozing under a blanket during a morning drive to come face to face with a lion, to my eldest filming dung beetles in action for a school project. Yes we saw all the wildlife we could hope for, but we also did it in such a way we didn't feel like we were on the tourist trail. Thanks to everyone there, you have given us our best family holiday ever.

Room Tip: The room placing has been described already. We were in room 4 and my husband got in the shower with...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Sandton, South Africa
Reviewed February 20, 2012

The lodge is very well located, with the view over a waterhole where elephants, kudus, bucks come to drink. Ranger was very knowledgeable and really made a difference in the game viewing experience.
The staff and service were very poor. The bill was a complete mess. Most of the food was very average, except for one dish that was really 5 star.
Rooms are large and clean, beds are gigantic!
One of the cleaning ladies forgot to close the window of one of the rooms, the baboons took over and made a mess of the room, stealing whatever was available.
On one of the evening drives, we had a flat tire; couldn't jack the car up, the jack was broken, we had to wait for the other vehicle of the lodge. Guy came gave us the jack and left, telling us there were buffalo's around. Spare tire was also flat, new jack wouldn't go down. We had to call for a third car from another lodge to come and help. Last game drive in the morning was very short as our ranger had to bring the spare wheel to the lodge that helped us.
We go on a safari at least twice a year and won't go back to Buffalo Ridge.

Room Tip: don't take chalet 1 it doesn't have any view
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Seb7111
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 29, 2012

Me and my husband stayed for four nights at Buffalo Ridge as part of our honeymoon.
It was our first time on safari so we were unsure what to expect. From the minute we drove into the reserve we were greeted by zebras, impala and koodos! Following this we received a very warm welcome from staff with a welcome drink. Our guides were Goddfrey and Israel, both knew so much about the bush, and even on quieter drives (with fewer animal sightings) they could make the drive incredibly interesting by teaching us about the bush. We were extremely lucky to see 4 of the big 5, we also saw a pack of wild dogs chase an impala into a couple of lions at dusk - what a truly amazing experience which we will never forget.
The food was delicious 5* and staff couldnt have been more friendly and helpful. We stayed for New Year and the staff (who are all local people from a nearby village) sang and danced for us, then we sat and drank champagne with the other guests, and watched an amazing thunderstorm across the reserve!
We cannot thank the staff enough for making our honeymoon so amazing! :-)

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed December 4, 2011

We (family with 2 small children) are staying in Gaborone for 6 weeks while my wife works a stint at a hospital here, and we spent one night at Buffalo Ridge (arrived Saturday and departed Sunday).

We were greeted with chilled fruit drinks (even for the kiddos) in champagne flutes on arrival and spent time enjoying the stylish and comfortable main lodge area (we arrived well before check-in time, but they had our room ready within 20 minutes anyway).

The room was a nice combination of modern (polished concrete floor, rain shower) and traditional (thatched roof, stone fireplace) with a simply gorgeous panel of full-length glass overlooking the entire valley below.

Overall, service was great. I found the staff to be very attentive, and the meals were delicious (even the special pasta lunch they prepared for our kids -- I want the recipe for that sauce!). I should have asked, but I assumed (incorrectly, as it turned out) that non-alcoholic drinks would be free. Got a little surprise on the check-out bill with that.

The game drives were also great. Israel was our driver/guide for both drives (an evening drive the first night and an early morning drive the next day). He was knowledgeable, and took us to some once-in-a-lifetime sights.

Really the only downside was that children under 6 were not allowed on the game drives, but the lodge arranged to have a babysitter watch our two boys (1 and 3 years old) for 100 rand per hour while we were off on our game drives.

We loved Madikwe and are planning to come back in the next few weeks. As much as we also loved Buffalo Ridge, we might end up staying at another lodge (they are all reviewed so highly!) where they will let us bring kids on the game drives. We saw kids a lot younger than 6 on landcruisers from other lodges.

Room Tip: 8 villas, which are strung in a line. The lower your number the closer to the main lodge you are. T...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank ridiculogic
Gaborone, South-East, Botswana
Reviewed October 24, 2011

We stayed there for only one night. main lodge settings are wonderful. rooms are great too.. but the staff is totally lost in space.. their were some people at the reception at the time we arrived there, after that I dindt see any one there at the reception..
we were given no 6,7 lodges to stay which is bit far from the main lodge ( specialy when you are carrying a baby) we were stupid enough not to bring the pram for the baby. so I had to carry her up and down from the room to the main lodge many many times in the hot sun.. specially after the lunch it was very difficult because of the heat. so if you are going with little ones try to get a closeby one.
we started with the lunch. there was a vegetable krish ( sort of a pie ) and a big vegi salad.. and im not a vegetarien at all..and it wasnt enough ( of coz Im a man and I have to eat )
there was no choice.. we had to eat it.. when I asked for some more ( it was not a buffet) they brought another portion of the same need less to say it was boaring.. I was asking if there is any thing els that i can order but nothing.
we were told to come at 4pm for game drive.. when we came to the main lodge we were lost. because there was no one to give us information.. I had to go to there kitchen to find some one to get the information. at last at 4.30 the game drive starts. game drive was nice, we saw pack of wild dogs and a big pride of Lions as the hilights.
for the dinner a piece of lamb rib rack and mashed potatos been served. I was not impressed at all. I was expecting a varity of foods..( I dont know about you, but I love my food) but again no choice for us.
in the morning game drive, we were lucky enough to see the LEPORD.
Break fast was nice and hevy ( at least )
we were told that lunch is going to be a buffet ( at last here comes the moment Im waiting for) I have booked a additional game drive in the evening so I had to pay for the Drive and for the lunch..( R 120 PP for the lunch and R500 for the game drive for all of us )
at lunch we found some snacks were there.. I wasnt sure if its lunch or evening tea..
then I was told its the lunch.
some crossents with ham, smosas filled with spinatch, fish cakes, biscuits, rusks...
wow,, so much for a buffet lunch !!
this time I didnt hide my feeling and told them I didnt expect these snacks for lunch.. so they were willing to offer me some salads... thats all they could offer.. so I had two fish cakes for my lunch, which cost me R60 each :D
I love the bush and wild life.. seen the big game is the no 1 for me, but when you think that you are in a star class lodge you are expecting some nice food as well..
on top of that when I checked my bill at back home I found they have charged( R 120) for the lunch and (R150) as the park fees for my 1 1/2 years old baby which has to be free..
I have to reccomend Lazarus (the ranger ) for any one who wants to know the African Bush !!!
the 5 star certificate that they are displaying at the main lodge has been expaired on the october 2010 or some where( if Im not mistaken)
I will go back there If I managed to get a resonable rate again.
at the time of our saty there were only few guests were there, me be the things are changing when there are more people in the lodge.. but this was my experience about the place.
thanks for reading..

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank Janaka E
Plymouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 4, 2011

we stayed at buffalo ridge lodge for four nights as part of our honeymoon. We absolutely loved it. From the minute we arrived we were in love with the place.
The main lodge is wonderful. As we arrived we were welcomed with drinks and information from the staff. As there are only 8 lodges it is a very quiet resort and the staff make efforts to get to know all of the guests. They were organised and helped with our travel arrangements.
Our lodge was exactly as you see it in the pictures. Spacious, impeccably clean and comfortable. The layout is lovely.
We were amazed by the food. Simply amazed. The chef came round at mealtimes to introduce themselves and take your order for the next meal. It was top notch food in the middle of nowhere! Excellent service. Quick and always friendly. If its warm they move the tables out onto the decking so you can eat under the stars. This is one of my fondest memories. Talking to the other guests about what you have seen that day.
I have never eaten so much!
You get a 0530 wake up call then up to the main lodge for coffee and cake. Then out for your morning drive at 0600. Half way round you stop for drinks and snacks, including home made cakes and biscuits. Yum!
Then back to the lodge at 10 for a full breakfast buffet and cooked breakfast as well! If you re lucky you may animals coming down to the watering hole whilst you eat.
Lunch is at 2. So you can either sleep or like we did, lounge around by the pool and stare at the incredible view!
You meet up at 3.30 again for the evening drive. Again, coffee and cake before you go, if you have room!
On the evening drive you have your sundowners with more snacks then back for dinner at around 8pm.
The game drives.... well Lazarus was great! On our first drive out, 2minutes up the road we saw a lioness with her two cubs. That really was an indication of how good the drives were going to be. We saw pretty much everything. And all at such close quarters. Lazarus was knowledgable and always managed to find something just around the corner! He even managed to fix the truck wheel with a fork one day!
The park is beautiful. Being out in all that space and peace and quiet with the animals is a true privilege.
Buffalo lodge is perfect. You would never regret a visit here. We met people that had been here three or four times. Given have the chance I would go back tomorrow.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank MrsK5585
Buford, Georgia
Reviewed January 24, 2011

I have been to Buffalo Ridge 3 times in the last year since move to Gaborone, I think that says it all but I will tell you more.
Your experience starts with your arrival at the lodge, where the staff welcomes you with open arms. Then things get even better when you arrive at your chalet. The rooms are gorgeous, thatched roof, with comfortable beds. Sliding doors that open and make you feel like you are outside, with a gorgeous view over the ridge. The shower is amazing, it also has a sliding glass door so you feel like you are outside.
The food is amazing, I have never been disappointed with anything I have eaten there. The only complaint is they give you too much food.
The lodge is beautiful with an amazing view over the ridge.
The games drives are awesome. I have seen 4 of the big 5 evertime we have gone. Our guide Lazarus is awesome. He is very knowledgable and friendly. He really makes your experience great.
If you have a chance to stay here you must.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with friends