“Warmest of welcomes and excellent service”
Review of Etali Safari Lodge

Etali Safari Lodge
Newcastle, United Kingdom
“Warmest of welcomes and excellent service”
Reviewed March 3, 2014

From the moment you arrive, Kate and the Etali team make you feel like part of the family in this relaxed, easy-going and stylish lodge. The service from all the staff was top-notch, the food was excellent and the sense people were prepared to go that extra mile to ensure you had a great time there made this chic and comforatable lodge a real home from home in the middle of the bush.

Ann T

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (106)
Banbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 27, 2014

An amazing place. Excellent location and all of the staff are fantastic and very attentive. The rooms are exactly as described and the food delicious. The game drives were awesome and informed by a great ranger and tracker team

Room Tip: Ask for one overlooking the water hole - although if unavailable do not worry as we still saw game f...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Leicester
Reviewed February 25, 2014

My wife and I have just came back from 5 days and 4 nights stay at etali (we added an extra night we loved it that much by the way) Anyway what to say ,, firsty what really makes this place is the all the staff from the maintenance man to Kate the great professional manageress that really keeps standards as high as possible given the surroundings. (they really will make you feel special I assure you but also not over the top) . On arriving you will be shown to your room and amenities which is my only niggle which is going to sound mad but I feel being 5 star a TV should be added to each room as you do have quite a bit of down time and sometimes nice to catch a film on your own but you do have some great views to combat this. On settling in you will be told your intinary which includes 2 game drives with your chosen guides and spotter of which we had ''Wreck it '' Ralph and ''Ben 10 '' Sam our guides and spotter and had on heart these guys are superb and I cannot recommend them highly enough as we spent so much time with them I would like to say to any management reading this they are an asset to your lodge and I hope we can keep in touch when we return next time.

Food - Overall you cannot fault it and Etali do mix it up subject to weather with open fire barbeques but with a fine dining element added in. On a personal note also I am not a fine dining type of guy every night and do like my comfort food when tired etc based on this they catered for my every whim and this just kept my smile going for longer.

Tips -

Get decent fly spray / lotion, i was fine like most guests but my wife has had to visit gp today as had a reaction but think this was just one of those things and etali offered as much assistance as they could without even asking.
Get a decent camera like an DSLR if you go with just a compact I really think you will regret it as
Phone signal is not great / non existant plus while in the lodge plus internet is pretty poor/very poor so if you are mixing pleasure with business then just plan ahead as nothing worse than being stressed on hols.

niggles - Really would be wrong for me to mention petty things as it would be unfair.

Final thought , I have already looked at flights for my return trip so that should say it all , I would like to say go and book now but then I might not have bed myself so I would shop around ha ha.

Thanks to all the staff for making our south african adventure that little bit more special and see you again soon as time allows.

Paul and jen

Oh and adam if your reading this got a great vid of the hippos when everyone is panicking email me and will send over its magic '' ralph RALLLPH '' im serious now ha ha

Room Tip: get a good camera and maybe binoculars to really add to the adventure
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank j-ro1980
cph
Reviewed February 17, 2014

Myself and my colleague recently stayed at the resort.. Have to say i was very tempted to give 5 stars but fell short on the food. The lodge we stayed at, no.1 was beautiful and had everything you need, the game drives with Doctor were very informative, safe and exciting at the same time.. The lodge is nice and small giving you a sense that you have it to yourself if need be. Was very impressed with Kate at the front of house. Thought she was top class in everything that she did, knowledge, help and advice. The reason for the 4 stars is the food. I came with very high expectations having read the reviews and was generally not that impressed.. The valentines dinner that was served was very simple, yet the beef was overdone, as though it had been on a hot plate for some time.. Afternoon pies were cold and generally too chewy. We also had a bbq for the second night, where beef, chicken and bratwurst were served. Personally, it wasnt what i was looking for as can have beef and chicken anywhere in the world and would have preferred more gamey type options for my viist which didnt appear there.. Also thought the wine list was very simple, and the lodge could do with upping the quality of its South African wines to its guests. Obviously nit picking here, but having visited another game resort before and being treated to quality game food, i knew what that benchmark was, but still a quality resort, do try it.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Hoedspruit, South Africa
Reviewed February 16, 2014

Etali Safari Lodge has to be one of the most special places you'll ever visit. The first thing that really impressed us was the genuine friendliness and caring nature of the staff. Kate and her team were so incredibly helpful and polite and we felt completely looked after and made to feel so special. Sebastian and Thulani took us on our game drive and we were spoiled by some fantastic sightings as well as a drink stop next to some caves - Thulani even whipped up some chicken kebabs (heated on a gas burner!). That's what Etali is all about - the details - they've thought of everything. From the beautifully presented drinks on arrival and the marula scented hand towels, to the surprise bush breakfast after game drive and even a snack pack when you leave. They exceeded all expectations, doing everything so effortlessly (seeming so) and with style. The rooms are spacious with a lovely en suite that has a bath that looks out into the bush. There's a gorgeous plunge pool, which in the heat, we used a lot and was most appreciated. The waterhole was active almost the entire time we were there and we loved sitting on the deck and watching the game drink in front of us. Another thing we loved were the vistas - the beautiful views across the landscape when standing on the deck of the main area. The feeling of space is magical for most guests coming from the city. What a special place - it's place I will always hold close to my heart. Etali, meaning 'place of new beginnings'. Thank you to Susan, Koos and the entire Etali team for creating such a unique and special sanctuary.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank SafariLiving
Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed February 9, 2014

A year later we returned to Etali for our second visit and loved it just as much as our first visit. The entire team are great. They are professional yet friendly and it is like being at a home away from home. The accomodation is beautiful, the food delicious, the service friendly and the bush experience speacial as always. Susan, Koos and the team go out of their way to make the whole experience an extraordinary one.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Gaborone, Botswana
Reviewed February 3, 2014

My Husband and I spent a wonderful two days at Etali recently. We could not find fault in any area, the food was good, staff were both extremely polite and helpful, I tried the spa one morning and decided to have the aromatherapy body massage, unbelievable !!!! Sam and Sebastian took us on our game drives each day they made them both fun and informative. The lodge is very clean and organised, our room was of a very high standard. we found a lot of game came down to the waterhole each day. Kate should be very proud of her team, she runs a good show !!! we will definitely go back.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple