“Magical”
Review of Jamala Madikwe

Jamala Madikwe
Reviewed February 27, 2014

Thank you Jamala!! The service and scenery will make my stay there forever etched in my memory. Although our stay was short, I felt like I was very well rested and relaxed when I returned home. The personal touches, delicious food and friendly characters made it all the more special. Spectacular place.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Rodney S, Owner at Jamala Madikwe, responded to this reviewResponded March 3, 2014

Jamala is special and we are so happy to have made your stay magical. The Jamala-ian's thank you for the great comments on personal touches, food and service. Spectacular places draw spectacular guests ;)

There are newer reviews for Jamala Madikwe

Reviewed February 27, 2014

We came to Jamala for my birthday back inn July 2012. The resort, the people and the wildlife far exceeded my expectations. The rooms and common areas were beautiful and impeccably clean. The food was absolutely delicious, and having lunch on the deck with game at the water hole was just sublime.

But at the end of the day, we came for the game drives and they did not disappoint.

Lastly, the entire staff was welcoming, knowledgeable and oh so friendly.

We couldn't have asked for a nicer visit - we just need to find the time to get back there!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Jamala is so happy to have been able to make your birthday a special one. The waterhole is as busy right now with daily Elephant visits at lunch and the occasional Buffalo sighting in the evenings at dinner.
We hope you make time to return to this beautiful spot in Africa, we would love to have you.

Reviewed February 24, 2014

Jamala delivered an experience way and beyond my expectations from the day I checked in until the day I checked out. In fact check in was as paperless and non-procedural as if you were walking into your own home. Rodney, Nico and their warm staff provided a personal service sprinkled throughout my stay that was impeccable as was the villa I stayed in. Daniel, the guide was both professional and educational. One of the most unique experience to Jamala apart from the food was the watering hole in front of the lodge providing a window day and night, into the animal kingdom.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo
Nico V, General Manager at Jamala Madikwe, responded to this reviewResponded February 25, 2014

Hi Nelson
Thank you for this warm review, Jamala Madikwe and it's entire team is always happy to get this kind of feedback. We are so pleased that we could go beyond your expectations. The incredible elephant sightings at the Jamala waterhole definitely helped.

Africa is so special and I am truly grateful that you could enjoy Jamala as if you were in the your own home. We hope you will return one day, all the best to J.

Reviewed February 7, 2014

Where do you start? This is more than a special place, it is superb. The attention to detail surpasses any I have experienced. The water hole was very active and the safari trips were amazingly planned and well organised. We saw all of the top animals. The staff were attentive and professional, could not fault anyone. The villas were very spacious, private and luxurious. This was my first safari and I was a little anxious but I had no reason to be at all. I loved every minute of it and was tearful upon leaving. I will be back!

Room Tip: Difficult to say because the animals pass by all the rooms so you can easily wake up to an elephant...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
Nico V, General Manager at Jamala Madikwe, responded to this reviewResponded February 9, 2014

Dear Doreen / Anita
We are so happy to get this great review from you, thank you. Jamala is a very special place, and I am so happy you enjoyed the little details. The sighting we had of the Leopard in the Leadwood tree is still fresh in my memory and we were thrilled to share such a special moment with you both. I will pass your generous comments to all the Jamala-ian's. we look forward to your next visit.

Elephants will be waiting outside your room I'm sure ;).
Nico

Reviewed January 29, 2014

Having Taken to Safari over the last 15 years - this experience simply blew my mind! The short flight on Federal Air ( 1 hour) made it comfortable to get from Johannesburg . Being met by Daniel who looked just too young for the amazing wealth off knowledge and bags of energy he has for the job as a tracker to arriving with the warmest smiles form Rodney ,Nico and his amazing team who have such a beautiful charming influence over you immediately made you feel special.
To find Rhino/ Elephant / Giraffe and many others on the short drive onto the lodge was just the beginning. We spent 3 nights seeing all the Super 7 - Cheetah / Leopard / Wild Dogs and Hyenas to name just a few? And did one drive where we saw 6 of the 7 .
To find 20 Elephants at the waterhole as you sip a welcome champagne cocktail with a waterhole that is so close you can almost touch it was breathtaking - to find you are there only guests for 11/2 days made it soooo exclusive !
Then you get taken to the room !!!!! Or is it a Villa! I have never seen such well appointed spacious luxury in the bush in all my times out there.
Nico runs a great ship in such a laid back way . As 2 guys traveling we felt at such ease with these guys and there team - Precious / Lesego / Happy and the entire kitchen team are all so smiley and want to do so much to make u feel at home and the spa is a little extra luxury worth exploring .
I really cannot fault this place ( why should I ! It's brilliant ) and the evening spent drinking too much with Rodney and Nico made it seem like being away with friends .
The Game drives insane, the food exceptional the place is just beautiful and a staff who make it all seem like a dream I want to go on forever !
Well done and I will return to paradise one day !

Room Tip: Only 5 and all are superb - don't understand why everyone thinks room 1 is so good as you can ge...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank AndyDave
Rodney S, Owner at Jamala Madikwe, responded to this reviewResponded February 9, 2014

Thank you Andy for your fantastic review. We are thrilled the experience here at Jamala Madikwe was exceptional for you. Your praise for the staff who made your stay great is also noted and immensely appreciated by them. The entire experience needs to compliment one another and as you have mentioned the game viewing with not only the Big 5 but Super 7 as well, excelled as well. Madikwe is renowned for a diverse range of animal sighting opportunities especially Wild Dog and I am happy you had the opportunity to see them in action. Cuisine is also a very important aspect of a Safari and we are very proud of the exceptional dishes being prepared by our team and the praise makes it all worthwhile. Since we established the Spa, it has become a firm favourite with new and returning guests alike.
Thank you and paradise awaits your return. Rod, Nico, Lucky and the entire team at Jamala Madikwe.

Reviewed January 24, 2014

Jamala Madikwe offers a wonderful opportunity to really step out of your daily routine and to relax, enjoy good food and see the impressive African wildlife. My partner and I spent 5 nights at the lodge in the third week of january 2014. We stayed in one of the 5 villas. The lodge has an intimate atmosphere. It is spacious and there are only a handful of guests (10 guests is their maximum). This way it is possible to have privacy if desired. At the same time it is also easy to associate with other guests.
The owner, the chef, the rangers and the rest of the staff were very friendly and competent and made sure that our stay left nothing to be desired.
The food was excellent. It is incredible that this level of cooking is offered in such a remote place. Dining was - weather permitting - outdoors with a good view of the watering hole in front of the main lodge. Having a splendid diner while watching the animals go by was a special experience!
The game drives - twice a day - were exciting and interesting. And every one was different. Our ranger Daniel told us a lot about the wildlife we saw and was clearly very passionate. We saw a lot of different animals and not only members of the big 5 but also the rare African wild dog (a group of 12 to be precise) and lots and lots of other animals.
Our villa was spacious, clean, beautifully decorated and offered maximum privacy. It offered also a view of the open savanna in front of the lodge so we could see all kinds of animals while lying on our sunbed or floating in our own pool. A comfortable bed made sure that we slept very well.
On the whole we had a very, very good time. It was a privilege to be there.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
Rodney S, Owner at Jamala Madikwe, responded to this reviewResponded January 30, 2014

Thank you R& R, that is such a great review and we are absolutely thrilled that you had a great time and got to experience all the different aspects of the lodge. Not only the Big 5 game viewing and cuisine but that you could be private if you wished and enjoyed you villa as we intended it to be. We are even more happy that you had some great Wild Dogs sightings - a very special opportunity that Madikwe is renowned for. The privilege was all ours to have such wonderful guests as yourselves. Thank you. Rod, Nico, Daniel and the rest of the team.

Reviewed January 22, 2014

I've booked a 2 night stay at Jamala Madikwe Royal Safari Lodge as a surprise holiday for my daughter's 25th birthday and what wonderful surprise it was. We had the most amazing experience at the lodge and on safari, thanks to Rodney, Lucky (our Ranger) and all the wonderful people working there. Thank you all for making this special occasion even more special and memorable. Carol and Josie

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family

Thank you Carol and Josie for this great review and we are very privileged to have had the opportunity to share your daughters birthday surprise. We loved that you enjoyed the experience at the lodge as well as out on drive with Lucky. Our Sofa Safari overlooking the waterhole continues to be a great experience whilst at the lodge especially the Elephants sightings you had that never seemed to end. Thank you once again and we look forward to another visit in the near future. Rod and the team at Jamala Madikwe