“Amazing place” 5 of 5 bubbles

Tau Game Lodge
Selkirk, United Kingdom
“Amazing place”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2013

We have recently stayed at Tau Lodge for 3 nights. Everything was excellent and first class. The food was fantastic especially the chocolate mousse! The accommodation is great and we loved the outdoor shower. The communal lounges are lovely to relax in and have some very good photos to look at. Our ranger Murray was great and we saw the big five whilst there. The best was saved for the last night when we saw a leopard. Thanks to Murray's driving abilities we were able to follow him deep into the bush and got some great photos. We would thoroughly recommend the lodge and we are booked in again next February which we are looking forward to.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (108)
Regensburg, Germany
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2013

great guide, delicious food, perfect stay!
We enjoyed the stay a lot. We arrived late but we could still attend the evening safari, which was great. Unfortunately we just booked to nights but we definitely plan to come back.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Epsom, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2013

I am a lady in my 70's and have travelled to many places over the years, decided to treat myself to a trip to Tau Game Lodge in Madikwe for my birthday.
I could not have made a better choice. I travelled alone,and was made to feel totally at ease from the time i passed through Tau gates until i left. I was greeted by happy, smiling staff who made me feel totally at home in my room overlooking the stunning watering hole. I could have happily stayed on my veranda for the whole 4 days i was there, watching a steady stream of animals come to drink, from elephants to zebra, and lots of beautiful birds.
The game drives were fantastic with breathtaking scenery, i got to see so many animals, too many to list them all. All the rangers were friendly and knowledgeable, were very kind and considerate, making sure i was comfortable at all times despite my advanced years.
The food was outstanding, i have eaten in many 5 star restaurants around Europe, the dining at Tau was easily comparable to all, I could not believe this kind of food possible way out in the African bush.
My actual birthday was made so special, and one i will never forget.
I simply cannot praise Tau Game Lodge enough, would recommend it to anyone planning to travel to South Africa.
I have paid more to stay at game lodges in the past, but have to say, my overall experience at TAU surpassed previous visits to South Africa. I hope to get back to South Africa, if i do, Tau will be my first choice. Many, many thanks to everyone involved in the fantastic professional operation.
View from my veranda.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Bernie O
Adelaide
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 29, 2013

We loved our three days at Tau Game Lodge. Luxurious and friendly, very professional in every way. Our guide Grant made sure we saw almost all the animals we wanted to and we had wonderful sightings of cheetahs, rhinos, elephants, giraffes, lions and wild dogs. Food and accommodation fantastic, it was a magical time.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Johannesburg, South Africa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 29, 2013

I surprised my wife with a three night weekend getaway for her birthday at Tau Game Lodge in the Madikwe game reserve. An easy three and a half hour drive from Johannesburg, the lodge is situated close to the Botswana border, in the Northern part of the reserve. A 10km dirt road will lead you to the entrance of the lodge. Beautifully located with most of its luxury chalets overlooking a watering hole, we spent many meals on the main deck or from our own chalet deck watching various animals come in for a drink of water. The early morning and afternoon game drives were a definite highlight where we experienced four of the Big 5 close up only missing out on Leopard, in the three days we were there. We were within touching distance of four magnificent Cheetahs which were my special highlight. Our game ranger was extremely knowledgeable, enthusiastic and an absolute pleasure which made our sorties insightful and entertaining.
The Chalets are very comfortable, with wonderful outside showers and large bathtub. The food was delightful and the staff were incredibly accommodating to mine and my wife's slightly unusual dietary requirements. I left the lodge at least 3kilos heavier.
Loved it and will definitely return.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the main watering hole
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 25, 2013

I stayed here for a few days with my mum and sister and we all had the most amazing time. The staff are friendly, food amazing and the wildlife and scenery breathtaking. We were lucky enough to the spot all of the Big 5 while we were there, as well as rare African wild dogs. I'll definitely be visiting again one day very soon!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank LorraineW_10
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2013

I lived in Botswana as a student, and have been to more safari destination all over Southern Africa than I can recall. However, this is by far the most amazing and breathtaking safari lodge so far! It is just 10/15 km away from The Thlokweng boarder with Botswana, and so if you are visiting Botswana only- I suggest you make the trip here!!!

As I tell all my friends, this is a must destination for a honeymoon, or a girls trip! Where to begin.... you are greeted with "Welcome drinks" in the lobby, when checking in. Everything about the decor reminds you that you are in Africa, and in the wild. Wood carvings, African weaved plates, ostrich eggs, native woods etc etc. The food is amazing, and authentic, incredible views of the water hole from the restaurant, rooftop bar, and from all the chalets. The first day we were there, there were elephants playing in the water just feet away from our private patio and hottub area, and later a herd of wildebeest came for a drink. To sum it up, you are always surrounded by animals and nature. And the safari game drives are awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends