We spent 3 nights in the Motwari Lodge and it was just a perfect experience!
There are so many lodges in that area, so we found it very difficult to make our choice. Especially because it was our first African trip. After the Motswari lodge we know exactely what we would recommend: take a lodge in a game reserve where you have lots of animals, book a hotel which has really good guides with high knowledge and which are very motivated and make sure you get an accomodation which has a special flair. The Motswari Lodge has all of that and even more.
We did lots of safaris during our 3week trip, but we had the best experiences here. We saw lions eating a waterbuck, we had the chance to have wild dogs and hyanenas in front of us, we saw leopardsd and apart from all other animals like elephants, chamaleons, birds, zebras, giraffs etc. we also loved the landscape of this game reserve. Plus, the safari cars are great since they have no roof top and are very confortable.
We really enjoyed the dinners where you sit together with your guide, the kind hotel manager David and the other guests from your safari. It's a great chance to get in touch with your group, which make the safari tours even more personal. In addition you learn a lot about the life in South Africa.
We also need to mention the food since it was the best one we had during our 3 week vacation. Before you start the safari, you get some coffee and muffins as a pre-breakfast. Then, during the safari you always have some breaks with some drinks and snacks. Afterwards, you can enjoy a rich breakfast which really deserves to be mentioned. Big compliment to the cook! it's not common that you get self-made quiche or crepes for breakfast. Lunch was very delicous with lots of salads, good bread and we especially liked the small details like home made cold coffee, home made lemonade, cold tea with or without sugar. The dinner was great as well - you can always choose between two meals and the wine is included as well.
We seldomly book the same hotel again. For the Motswari lodge we would do an exception and also try the Giraff nest.
Many many greetings and best wishes from Switzerland to David and our guide Richard :-)
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Open to the Kruger National Park and playing host to Africa's Big Five is Motswari Private Game Reserve. One of South Africa's jewels nestled within the Timbavati Nature Reserve, this family-owned and operated four-star luxury safari lodge prides itself on its warm atmosphere and luxurious accommodation.The name Motswari means "to conserve and protect" in Tswana and the owners have held the name to be a promise to each of their future friends who arrive to share in the splendour of an African sunset at this vintage bush lodge.The 150 square kilometres that make up the reserve are part of the greater Kruger Park and guests will be treated to wildlife in their natural habitats as part of their unforgettable experience of Southern Africa. Ideally situated and exclusive, Motswari Private Game Reserve holds the best of everything for the traveller to the untamed majesty that is Africa.If you’re looking for a relaxed atmosphere, peaceful communion with nature and a private experience on a traditional African game farm, this holiday location is for you!Morning and evening game drives in open Land Rovers with professional field guides and trackersMid morning bush walks * Safari walks in lieu of morning game drives guided by armed field guidesOvernight bush hiking and camping sleep-out experience for groups of 4 with experienced guides*Hide sleep-outs in the Motswari Game Reserve*Swimming pool*Boma & bush dinners*Pre-lunch safari interest talks*Curio shop at Motswari Game Lodge*Brunch, high tea (late lunch) and dinner*Library and Art Gallery with 24-hour internet facility at Motswari Game Lodge*Fully equipped air-conditioned conference room for 20 delegates at Motswari Game Lodge*An additional vehicle plus guide can be arranged for an extra cost per day and covers 2 game drives per day ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Expedia, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Agoda, Hotwire, Cancelon and TripOnline SA so you can book your Motswari Private Game Reserve reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Motswari Private Game Reserve Hotel Timbavati Private Nature Reserve
- Motswari Private Game Reserve South Africa/Timbavati Private Nature Reserve