Lily, on reception, greeted us with a nice cold drink and then went through the camp details and timetable. We also met Godfrey, the camp manager, who was one of the South African Ranger of the Year finalists in 2011.
My room was Leopard, which is closest to the boma/gallery. The room is surrounded by a fence, hung with animal bones – I’m not sure if that was to keep evil spirits out or keep me in. Although the rooms are quite close together, there was no intrusive noise.
The room is a fair size, with armchair, desk & chair, safe, tea/coffee making facilities. To get to the bathroom, you had to go outside and through the small courtyard with outside bath and shower, and into a separate building. Quirky, but not too much fun on a freezing winter’s morning. The bathroom was well lit, and had the thickest fluffiest towels I have ever seen.
There was a small electric radiator in the bedroom, for which I was so grateful one evening. The camp has free Wi-Fi but this can be intermittent.
My guide was Shadrack. Shadrack was happy to go out again after breakfast on our search for the white lions. Godfrey also made every effort to ensure that we were doing everything we could to maximise our chances.
When lunch is served, it is carried out by the staff who are singing. Self-service buffet for breakfast and lunch whilst all dinners are served in the boma, although we could choose to have a table set up elsewhere if we wanted. All mealtimes were signalled by the beating of drums.
Although Motswari may not have the largest, most luxurious of accommodation, I will certainly look to return as the service provided and the attitude of the staff is excellent. It is so great when a lodge’s staff actually listens to what a guest wants and tries to fulfil individual needs, rather than assuming that all guests are looking for exactly the same thing. I will be returning.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Open to the Kruger National Park and playing host to Africa's Big Five is Motswari Private Game Reserve. One of South Africa's jewels nestled within the Timbavati Nature Reserve, this family-owned and operated four-star luxury safari lodge prides itself on its warm atmosphere and luxurious accommodation.The name Motswari means "to conserve and protect" in Tswana and the owners have held the name to be a promise to each of their future friends who arrive to share in the splendour of an African sunset at this vintage bush lodge.The 150 square kilometres that make up the reserve are part of the greater Kruger Park and guests will be treated to wildlife in their natural habitats as part of their unforgettable experience of Southern Africa. Ideally situated and exclusive, Motswari Private Game Reserve holds the best of everything for the traveller to the untamed majesty that is Africa.If you’re looking for a relaxed atmosphere, peaceful communion with nature and a private experience on a traditional African game farm, this holiday location is for you!Morning and evening game drives in open Land Rovers with professional field guides and trackersMid morning bush walks * Safari walks in lieu of morning game drives guided by armed field guidesOvernight bush hiking and camping sleep-out experience for groups of 4 with experienced guides*Hide sleep-outs in the Motswari Game Reserve*Swimming pool*Boma & bush dinners*Pre-lunch safari interest talks*Curio shop at Motswari Game Lodge*Brunch, high tea (late lunch) and dinner*Library and Art Gallery with 24-hour internet facility at Motswari Game Lodge*Fully equipped air-conditioned conference room for 20 delegates at Motswari Game Lodge*An additional vehicle plus guide can be arranged for an extra cost per day and covers 2 game drives per day ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Orbitz, Expedia, Cancelon, Travelocity, Cheap Tickets, TripOnline SA, Hotwire, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Motswari Private Game Reserve reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Motswari Private Game Reserve Hotel Timbavati Private Nature Reserve
- Motswari Private Game Reserve South Africa/Timbavati Private Nature Reserve