“first-rate safari experience” 5 of 5 bubbles

Kings Camp
Raleigh, NC
“first-rate safari experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2012

My husband and I spent 3 nights at Kings Camp and thoroughly enjoyed every minute. The manager met us with drinks and cool cloths, showed us around (the library, dining room, bar, elevated viewing platform overlooking watering hole, swimming pool, and baobob tree!), and by the time we got to our room our bags were waiting for us. The room was huge; king bed (very comfortable), armoire, sitting area, private terrace in back, roomy bathroom with double sinks, tub, and indoor and outdoor showers. Food and drinks were included, and we enjoyed all the meals, including a surprise dinner out in the bush with campfires and lanterns. We went out every morning and afternoon on game drives with our ranger, Remember, and our tracker, Elvis. Game viewing was exceptional, although one must understand that animals cannot be "guaranteed"; the white lions that had been there the week before had moved out of our range, but we had amazing encounters with leopards! There was just enough time for relaxing between 2 game drives and 3 meals a day! I made several visits to their gift shop, which had some lovely things and was reasonably priced.

Room Tip: We were in room 6, close enough to the common areas, but felt private. I did not see inside any oth...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
Santa Clarita, California, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2012

Feeling at a loss for words to adequately describe the experience that is Kings Camp. From the minute you are scooped up at the airport, to the minute you arrive back at the airport for your return flight, it was nothing short of the best time our family has ever had. Each and every one of the staff members has a spring in their step and a twinkle in their eyes. The attention to detail, every need met, and then some. Our Driver and conservationist, Patrick and his awesome Tracker, Albert were hands down, the best part of our time out in the bush. My husband was to go onto a hunt in Zimbabwe, and Patrick and Albert, spent lots of their down time, helping him with tracking technique. The passion those two people share for what they do for a living, is so heart warming and special. We are already talking about another go round perhaps in the next year or so. What a special place on earth this is. I cried when we had to leave. I left a part of my soul out there at Kings Camp. Thank you all for such a wonderful experience. Cheers! Barbie and Jimmie Fortner, Ruth Jeffs, and Maryann Yates

Room Tip: They are all excellent!!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Jimmiesmauibarbie
Glasgow, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2012

On arrival we were immediately shown to our rooms, but there was no tour of the camp or what we could expect. In the room I found an impersonal letter stating the daily timetable and the names of the staff.

Once again my room was the furthest from reception, room 11 – the honeymoon suite. The room is ridiculously large. There is a massive chandelier, giant triple wardrobe, tables, armchairs, a big deep bath in the bedroom together with a shower, twin sinks, tea making facilities and an expresso machine, inclusive mini-bar, tray of fruit and decanter of sherry, electric blankets on the bed, bird and mammal guides in the room. Candelabras and fresh flowers are everywhere. There is also a radio and i-pod dock. Outside there is a covered patio with small private pool, sun loungers and tables and chairs. There is free wi-fi, however this is very intermittent during the day, although I had a full signal late at night in my room (although no signal during the day).

Unfortunately this luxury was a bit wasted on me as we only ever returned to the camp to eat and sleep and it was only on our final day that I saw the room in daylight. Each evening there would be a card left with the next day’s weather forecast. Despite the oppulence, I found the bed somewhat hard and didn't sleep very well.

As they were short on rangers, we had a freelance guide called Brendon and our tracker was Selby. Our guide was happy to go out all day, although this may be because he was freelance and I’m not sure the actual camp’s guides would have been as accommodating. Hot water bottles were provided on morning drives.

One highlight was the two wildcats that hung around the lodge after breakfast each day.
Regrettably I found the organisation in the camp to be chaotic and there was little sign of the personal service I have come to expect from luxury lodges in South Africa. We had booked lodges in the Timbavati in the hope of seeing white lions, but no-one in the camp was interested in our objective. Our guide, being freelance, did not know what was happening in the area and there seemed little communication with other guides.

The communal areas are quite close together so it is hard to get away from other guests unless you are in your own room. The food does let the camp down. The only saving grace is the desserts which are a work of art and, due to a chef not turning up, were created by Tristan the camp manager.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank bushmaniac
KingsCampManagement, Manager at Kings Camp, responded to this review, August 29, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to complete the REVIEW for Kings Camp. Your feedback is invaluable to us and we are constantly striving to meet our guests expectations. I am the lodge manager with my wife Lisha and we were away during your visit. Tristan is my assistant manager that was in charge during my absence.

I am sorry that your stay with us did not meet your expectations. You are correct in saying that we used a feelance guide and the reason for us using him is because you had reserved a private vehicle. I have sufficient guides for a full camp but when a private vehicle is occassionally booked I need to bring in a qualified and experienced guide to offer the service you deserve. Your guide has been working within the reserve for the past 16 years and is one of the most experienced and knowledgible guides in the region The white lions do occur in the region but unfortunately we have not had any confirmed sightings for around 3 months now and I am concerned for their well being. I have had sporadic reports that they have been sighted further North in the Klaserie Game Rerserve and will gladly keep you updated on their movements.

Lisha and I have lived at and managed Kings Camp for the past 17 years. The camp is not merely a job for us but our home and passion where we have raised a family. We take your feedback very seriously and will endevour to investigate and rectify our short comings. Again, I offer my sincerest apologies.

Regards
Warren and Lisha Moore
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2012

What a wonderful experience! My wife and I spent five nights at Kings Camp in June. We had an amazing room with a private pool. The food was wonderful (plentiful and varied). The game viewing was excellent. But, first and foremost, the staff was lovely. Great service and genuinely nice people that you wanted to converse with and enjoy a glass of wine with. My lasting impression of the hotel was the fact that several of the staff walked us out to our car upon our departure and waved as we drove down the driveway. Probably the single biggest reason that South Africa ended up being our best vacation ever.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Dubai
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2012

July found us back again at our most favourite place in the world.. Kings Camp. Back for the third time.It felt like coming back home.. the huge welcome we received at the airport from Warren , the drive leading upto the camp..my family geting more and moe excited as familiar landscape rolled by..and then.. aaah... seeing the camp standing by itself in the middle of the dry african bush ( being winter there) .. meeting and hugging our long friends Warren,Tristan, shauna, mellisa, Lisha and ofcourse Patrick, guys cant thank you enough for the love, warmth and friendship you have honoured us with... then walking up to our beautiful room ( which is always reserved for us)... ohhh sheer bliss!!

what makes this our home away from home.. hmmm.. I might need more space than whats given to go on and on. the first thing which comes to my mind is the utter warmth and friendliness of EVERYONE there.. from the managers Warren and Lisha to the kitchen staff, Nico, the servers, the tracketrs, the office staff, our lovely rangers... everyone has a smile on their face, a twinkle in their eye, a joke or a helpful word on their lips. It wasnt just us who were made to feel like the most special people in the world, but all the guests who came and enjoyed this hospitality. I have yet to see another camp who has so many returns. Each gueat is remembered with fondness even if their last trip was a couple of years back and little anecdotes are shared about their sightings and stay with them. you feel like you belong... simple!

I cant thank you guys enough for making each trip so special for us everytime. Special mention goes out to : Warren and Lisha , an amazing couple who run this beautiful camp like their own.Tristen, shauna, mellisa who buzz around the camp making sure every thing is par excellence, yet always having time to stop by to have a chat or share a joke or chase after their two adopted cats!Morney, Colburt,Sinead and ofcourse our beloved ranger Patrick. Words arnt enough to thank you Patrick for the friendship and care you honour us with time and time again! Selby , and albert our lovely hardworking trackers who can literally find a needle in the haystack! Nicoh and his wonderful team who fed us day after day with yummy delicious gourmet food! the wonderful servers who aldeady knew our 'specials' and without hesitation would make them magically appear in front of us without us having to even ask for them.

If I had one negative thing to say about the camp is.. its that we cant live there round the clock!! Reality does come back to cloud our haze of bliss and we have to adjust to getting back to real life. We had tears in our eyes when we left.. but also a smile.. knowing we shall be back sooner than you can say 'morning morning' :)

love you all and thankyou again for a dream come true.

thank you thankyou thankyou!

Karan, Sanyukta, Sanjana and Saanika Kumar, dubai, UAE

Room Tip: All the rooms are beautiful with wonderful views looking out into your own little bush heaven.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank JadeDubai
Rio Rancho, New Mexico
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2012

This camp is for the higly social person. Nice ammenities and service; however, there was a little too much 'down-time' which could have been used more adequitely viewing wildlife rather than taking siestas. We went as a honemoon package and recieved awsome and personalized service including a candle lit dinner on our private deck. We also got all of the Big Five in One Drive twice!

**Booking your own personal safari vehicle and guide is a must for any true photographer or avid amimal lover of a specific species, otherwise you spend your time with other people from other groups and go by the whim of the groups wants, not yours! Be more than a number and book your own vehicle!**

Room Tip: Honeymoon suite is nice with a personal plunge pool
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank RacquelMS
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2012

In reviewing such sites, there are really two factors to consider and review. One is the site itself as far as the staff, the amenities, the service, the facilities - the typical "hotel" review, as it were. The other, however, for a site as unique as is this one, is the quality specifically of the nature reserve, their guides, their trackers, their vehicles - the AFRICA that you came to see and experience. I will agree with all those reviewers who found the staff superlative in all ways - who found that they were as service oriented as the highest rated European or American five star luxury hotel. I agree that the facilities are wonderful, and that the experience there is superb.

However.

Even that must pale in comparison to the safari experiences themselves that we experienced with this group. Our guide, Colbert, and our Tracker, Selby, were, well, incomparable. They were not just immensely friendly - they were not just almost eerily knowledgeable - they were not just tremendously capable as trackers and guides at finding game - they were genuinely themselves excited by doing so and by being among the animals each time we found them. The vehicles were more not only comfortable than others we had experienced on safari at other locations we had gone to in several countries in the south of Africa for the preceding few weeks, but the way that Colbert drove, and the care in which he ensured that we were properly positioned relative to the animals yet considering our requests for proper lighting and position of the sun relative to the animals for photographic purposes (with a 400/2.8 lens, there is a lot riding on the photographic success of this photo safari trip), and the patience that he showed in our requests for more - and more - and more yet again, was incomparable. When we found a mother leopard and her cub or a herd of elephants that surrounded us and let us observe from within them or a rare spotting of a honey badger during the daytime - if it meant that we would return back to camp later than what had been "officially advertised", then so be it, they did so without a second's hesitation. They were so concerned that we have the most successful and enjoyable time on our safari experience that this overwhelmed all other considerations except for safety. And the love that Colbert felt for these animals was almost palpable. Going for a brief hour or so walk in the bush with him was the icing on the cake.

There are many ways to go on safari. But if one can afford to do so, going with a guide and a tracker is soooo much more efficient (rather than merely hoping that you find by chance the animals you are seeking). Doing so in a private reserve where you are permitted to follow some of these animals into the bush (and I do mean INTO the bush - over bushes, down hills - these guys are experienced bush drivers!) is the ONLY way to actually find and observe these magnificent creatures from so close that we could absolutely literally just about touch them in most cases. And doing it with Guides and Trackers with this level of knowledge, experience, and customer orientation - well, that's incomparable.

If you can afford this type of safari, look no further, for you have just found THE perfect one. You can count me as another life member of the "Kings Camp Fan Club", as it were - and one who is already dreaming about a return visit...

Room Tip: I believe that there are a total of twelve cottages/rooms and, if you so desire, two honeymoon suite...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
#2 of 17 in Timbavati Private Nature Reserve
Umlani Bushcamp
Umlani Bushcamp
#5 of 17 in Timbavati Private Nature Reserve

Been to Kings Camp? Share your experiences!