“Shindzela was FANTASTIC!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Shindzela Tented Safari Camp
Liverpool, United Kingdom
“Shindzela was FANTASTIC!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 23, 2010

I have never written a review on Trip Advisor before but we had such a fantastic stay at Shindzela that I couldn’t NOT write a review! Shindzela is a small unfenced camp with a maximum capacity of 12 guests, so you know that you’re getting the personal touch! The staff all know sooo much about animals and I’m thrilled to say that we were able, thanks to their expert tracking, to see all of the Big Five, as well as all sorts of other animals! The leopard was phenomenal and the fact that we could go off road to get a close look made the experience what it was. Being 2 metres away from a lion and feeling too close to take a picture was also truly a once in a life time experience that I know we’ll never forget. They have an enormous area of land all to themselves. Also, since the camp is unfenced, the animals can wander all around; we heard hyenas and leopards outside our tents at night!
The staff were so welcoming and helpful that we felt sorry to have to say our goodbyes. The food was scrumptious – much better than we were expecting! The tents were luxurious and it was really liberating to feel as though you were showering outside.
I would strongly recommend anyone going on safari to stay at Shindzela. We absolutely loved it! Don’t stay anywhere else!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with friends

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
  • Hebrew first
Nijmegen, The Netherlands
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 14, 2010

I had a 4 night stay in Shindzela in August. Shindzela is an unfenced tented safari camp within the Timbavati Private Nature Reserve. The key words for Shindzela are: rustic but comfortable bush camp, true African atmosphere and excellent staff and service. Each tent is put on a wooden deck and has a private en suite bathroom. The meals are homemade and are just great. In front af the camp there is a small waterhole. Shindzela is the only operator in the concession and therefore you have to track the animals yourself. In the concession there are 2 big waterholes which attracks a lot of wildlife. Best sighting: 2 leopard cubs and about 500 buffalos. Shindzela has everything that the African bush has to offer! Dave, Laura, Eric and Gertie thanks for your hospitality, it is you what makes the stay so special! I can recommend Shindzela to anyone who wants to experience the true African bush. I will definitely return there soon!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank Joost76
Springs Gauteng
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2010

After going to Shindzela at the beginning of the year and having a great time, we promised ourselves that we would go again before the summer rains. Well what a great time we had! We were only 2 couples in camp during our stay and had the privilage of being able to whatch a buffalo being eating by hyenas and vultures. What an experance!!!
Nothing was too much for our guide, Mark and tracker, Roul. They were very entertaining, and kept us busy during our stay!

There was nothing better than coming "home" to a great home cooked meal prepared by Gertie after a long drive looking for game!!!!

Will be going back soon!!!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Richmond, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2010

My wife and I spent 4 great days at Shindzela in June during the world cup. We loved every minute we were there. The game drives, the meals the camp fire chats....everything was fantastic. I would recommend Shindzela to anyone who is looking for a genuine safari experience.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Solingen
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2010

During a business trip to South Africa I decided to take some days off to spend them in the bush. Although the travel distance from Johannesburg is quite far - it takes about 7 hours to reach the camp - I can only recommend to spend some nights here.
As I don´t like luxury lodges with air condition etc., I found this lodge in the internet and it exceeded all my expectations. I have been in approx. 10 differnt lodges in the past years, and this has been my best stay so far. Where else do elephants visit the camp and come to a waterhole only 10 m from your tent? Of course, it also means little sleep at night as the elephants move around the tents, break trees (in my case even the water pipe of the bathroom) and make quite a lot of noise.
During the game drives, we were in the middle of a group of approx. 500 buffalos and watched a leopard hiding its kill in a tree. It will be very difficult to see the complete Big 5 during one stay, but 3 out of 5 is not bad either...
The camp itself is absolutely nice, with clean tents, good beds, and excellent service. The owners are very freindly, and the food is just great - tnanks again for the great time I had.
I can only recommend this lodge!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled solo
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2010

My sister and I went on safari at Shindzela while visiting the area and were both pleasantly surprised with how much we enjoyed the experience. My sister is a bit less adventurous and outdoorsy than I, so I was initially worried she'd be uncomfortable and out of her element. At the end of the four days, we both wished we had booked the camp for a longer portion of our vacation.

The camp is open, but the owner Dave always made certain we felt safe and secure at night moving to our tent. The rooms themselves are heavy weight canvas tents pitched on permanent wooden platforms with a thatch roof above them. It feels more like a hard structure than a tent, but still allows you to remember you're in the bush. The attached bathroom was charming and open air, built on the same platform as the tent with a surrounding bamboo wall for privacy. The open air let's you feel like you're roughing it, but the hot water reminds you that you're quite comfortable.

Meals were delicious and served by the extremely sweet and very capable camp cook. The owner Dave presided over our meals and regaled us with stories his days in the bush as a hunter and guide and was an easy conversationalist. The trackers were also very kind and polite, though less apt to engage in conversation and more likely to remain behind the scenes.

As for the safari drives themselves, they were excellent. Despite having two initial days of poor weather in which game was somewhat scarce, we never failed to spot many different animals. We saw four of the Big Five, missing only the lion, though we saw many sets of tracks. We also saw numerous impala, several kudu, countless birds, hippo, warthogs, jackals, mongoose, baboons, giraffe, and zebra. During one of our night drives, our talented tracker managed to spot a green chameleon in a tree as we drove by. They will certainly put you on the game if you allow the time.

My only real regret is that we didn't have longer to spend there and that the weather wouldn't cooperate initially. Also, because we went in late summer, the bush was still thick and water plentiful, so spotting and locating the game was difficult, though clearly not impossible. While dismounting the truck and walking wasn't impossible, we couldn't do it for any great distance because of the thickness of the vegetation and the danger of walking up on aggressive game by surprise. Choosing better vacation dates would have remedied all of these issues.

If I ever find myself in South Africa again, I will not hesitate to revisit Shindzela. It was a completely wonderful experience and I felt upon leaving that I was departing the company of friends.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank paulbaker7
panama city, panama
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2010

I traveled to Shindzela during the World Cup. I was simply blown away. I work in the travel industry and have been to a LOT of neat hotels...but the service and friendliness of this team, plus the unique location and fantastic guiding made it THE most memorable 3 nights of my month-long trip in Africa. The food was surprisingly good, the accommodations a perfect mix of rustic and comfortable, but the STAFF are what makes this joint so special. I would go back 10x and I think 3-5 nights there would be perfect. A FANTASTIC value for the money. We saw so many animals during our stay...it was like a movie. I just LOVED this place.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends
#1 of 14 in Klaserie Private Game Reserve
Kings Camp
Kings Camp
#4 of 17 in Timbavati Private Nature Reserve

Been to Shindzela Tented Safari Camp? Share your experiences!