Forget the diamonds, Shumbalala Lodge sparkles brighter than South Africa's most perfect gems. Upon our arrival, we're were greeted by the assembled staff. Though beautifully decorated, the lodge is warm and inviting with comfortable couches, stone fireplaces and expansive windows allowing for continuous viewing of the abundant wildlife. Each room boasts romantic fireplaces, soaking tubs as well as showers and opens onto an expansive deck where guests can watch the ever changing procession of animals ambling up to the watering hole behind the lodge. Michelle, Lin and the entire house staff graciously attended to every request. Wiehan, the game ranger, has an encyclopedic knowledge of the entire ecology of Thorneybush Reserve. He and our tracker, Herman, were relentless in their quest to show us the wildlife. Every game drive exceeded expectations, however, I do not want to spoil the joy of discovering the diversity of plants, birds and amimals by giving you too much information. Come, relax and prepare to be happily amazed.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- It’s a vast, wild place where the lions roam at Shumbalala Game Lodge, deep in the Thornybush GameReserve, one of the country’s great tracts of untamed game-viewing.Set as it is in a dry, singeing savanna of Mopane, Acacias and Umbrella thorns, quartered by easterly-flowing rivers densely shrouded in giant figs, fever trees and phoenix palms, the land is an ancient tapestry of natural wonder.Over-head the Loeries call their sharp warning while horn-bills swoop in an ungainly ballet between trees whilst vultures elevate on thermals portending an electric storm.As you push on through the bush it is the serendipity of nature that amazes most as your vehicle skirts art deco zebra, dozy giraffe, bright eyed bush babies, wildebeest (made, it is said, by the committee of left-over parts) and the rest Africa has to offer.It is even more of an adventure when you stumble upon a leopard lazing in the V of a Jackalberry tree or; a hyena giving you a lazy yellow eye in the gathering dusk; a majestic bull elephant crashing its way through the riverine thicket in search of sweet reeds or; a surprise sunrise encounter with a lion pride on the prowl.This is the world of Shumbalala. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Orbitz, Travelocity, Booking.com, Cancelon, TripOnline SA, Hotwire, Priceline and Cheap Tickets so you can book your Shumbalala Game Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Shumbalala Game Hotel Thornybush Private Game Reserve
- Shumbalala Game Lodge South Africa/Thornybush Private Game Reserve