“Great value for money”

Jackalberry Lodge
South Africa
“Great value for money”
Reviewed May 18, 2014 via mobile

We spent 3 nights at Jackalberry and found it to be great value for money. It's in the Timbervati reserve so there is plenty of game all the big 5. We have an excellent ranger Ocean and great tracker. Ocean is very knowledgeable and has a great sense of humour. Rooms are comfortable .cant fault the food but did find that lunch was a bit too late as you finish and then run off for afternoon drive,but all in all a lovely break.

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
Reviewed May 10, 2014

My first trip to South Africa,Jackalberry lodge was highly recommended and I wish to second that recommendation,
From the moment that you are warmlyitgreeting by the staff . Karlien and Tom become more like friends than managers when you start sharing laughs over drinks and making the time to have a meal with you which I think is a nice touch . Their attention to detail is second to none, my every need was met even if it was only said in passing.

Our guide for the safari was Tom whom is most knowledgeable when it come to his knowledge about any wildlife that we came across , the big five was a highlight on the safari and Tom did not disappoint and found them.

The rooms are well appointed, a/c , beds are very comfortable and nothing is left out from slippers to dressing gowns ,wow.

The meals were to prepared to highest standard by our chef January, the was nothing that was left to chance.

The team at Jackalberry are like family to each other they share a rare quality that you don't see elsewhere, there happy to be there and they show it.

To sum it up * Jackalberry lodge is a MUST* and I am Highly recommending it to everyone .

papyrus through customsI'll be back

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Geneva, Switzerland
Reviewed April 27, 2014

This was our first game lodge (first safari) for our family so we didn't know what to expect and had no baseline. We immediately felt Jackalberry is quite special as soon as we arrived. They were ready and waiting for us with a refreshment, our bags quickly taken to our beautiful rooms, comfort was everywhere. Even the resident giraffe greeted us. Each meal was amazing! Very local fare and so flavourful. The staff introduced themselves and were so polite and helpful. Extremely professional. Our three boys immediately were taken in by the surrroundings, taking advantage of the lovely pool.

Drives:
Our ranger and tracker were fantastic. We saw the big five within 2 drives. Working very hard to get to the rhinos for us - breaking down the bush and all with the truck. It was so fun and exciting.

We were so lucky to be able to stay for 5 days, seeing the big 5 two or more times plus seeing then very active and engaging with one another. The big cats were frolicking and very active each time we saw them. There was even a courtship in process which we got to observe its evolution. There shoud be a cub in the future I think. We saw a leopard and her cubs devouring their prey. In all we saw, lions, loads of elephants, black and white rhinos, cape buffalo, hyaena, wild dog, vervet monkeys, baboons, wildebeest, giraffe, hippo, impala, black-backed jackal, leopard, lions, wart hog, wild dog, croc, zebras, mongoose, spotted owls.

Service:
The details and attention to services were amazing. There were so many nice touches throughout our stay - our boys received backpacks filled with many items for exploring and learning during their stay, moist towlettes upon arrival from morning drive, cocktail after evening drive, wonderful food service, rooms were very tidied and each evening they were prepared while on our evening drive with goodies on our pillows, easter egg hunt for the boys, wine tasting one evening, a beautiful lunch in the bush, and more and more!

The wine was delicious, being local south african wineries.

We cannot say enough positive comments about Jackalberry, the management, and the staff. We really enjoyed getting to know the staff. They are all very kind, thoughtful and professional. This lodge is a keeper! Thank you Jackalberry for so many truly amazing memories that we have taken home with us!

Room Tip: All rooms seemed comparable - some bigger than others to accomodate larger groups. They are beautif...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank swisschick2011
Lansdale
Reviewed April 25, 2014

We booked this tour of South Africa through Lion Word Travel and I can't thank them enough. This was an absolute dream vacation. And our stay at Jackalberry Lodge was almost life-altering. From our initial welcome to the final farewell, we felt as if we were visiting with long lost relatives. The entire staff was so kind and gracious. And the lodge itself was '5 star'. I would call it rustic elegance, in that one knew that we were in a lodge in the jungle but with all the comforts of a quality hotel. I was apprehensive about the food but it was excellent. I thoroughly enjoyed each and every meal. The dinners outside in the Boma, under the stars were exceptional. We were on 6 game drives and were fortunate enough to see the entire Big 5 by day two. Our guide was Brad and our tracker was Lucky Luke. They deserve so much credit, especially since we were there at the end of the rainy season and driving through the muddy, flooded terrain was quite an adventure. Interestingly, none of us experienced any fear at being so close to elephants and lions or any of the wildlife. It was simply a heavenly experience.

Room Tip: All of the rooms are good since each couple has their own private chalet.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Irene J
Reviewed April 22, 2014

My dad and I visited Jackalberry back in March and we were certainly not disappointed. After an interesting flight over with a missed connection, arriving at Jackalberry was just what we needed. After signing in and getting settled, we were greeted with the first of many fantastic meals. The team at the lodge were phenomenal including everyone from Karlien and Tom, our driver Brad and tracker Lucas and the staff who serviced the rooms. Being able to sit down for lunch or dinner with Tom and Brad also allowed for great conversation and many amazing stories from their time at Jackalberry. It also made everyone who was there feel like a big family even though you may have only met them hours prior.

In total we went out on 5 games drives. We were fortunate enough to see the Big 5 and I am confident that the work of Lucas and Brad allowed this to be the case. The friendly and welcoming nature of everyone allowed us to feel at home. I've already started recommending Jackalberry to anyone looking for a true authentic Safari experience. I can honestly say I had a trip of a lifetime visiting South Africa and that Jackalberry and the Safari in general was definitely the highlight. Can't wait to go back!

Room Tip: Any room is fantastic and they are separate villas with a great deal of privacy. Indoor and outdoor...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Forestville, Australia
Reviewed April 11, 2014

A friend and I stayed at Jackalberry Lodge for three nights. Jackalberry deserves the highest possible rating. The staff, led by Karlien and Tom, cannot do enough to assist. Tom was our guide on the exceptional game drives (assisted by tracker Themba). He even helped me with some photos. I didn't go with a tick list and every animal I saw - including all of the big 5 - was amazing. Karlien asked us what the highlight was and of course for me it was the animals. How can you pick just one? Impossible. The lodge and the staff were marvellous, the food fantastic. The transfer company person who collected us from the airport and drove us to Jackalberry told us that you arrive as guests and leave as friends. He was absolutely correct. I am thankful that one of my friends recommended Jackalberry and I am going to pass that on. Jackalberry is great - I look forward to another visit.
Thank you to all the staff from Shayne.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Shayne F
Reviewed April 6, 2014

My stay at Jackalberry was an experience of a lifetime.From the time we arrived,to the time we left we had the best time with great staff and great food. Our time spent with a great guide( Brad) and a great tracker( Lucas) was very fun and also very educational. I highly recommend staying at Jackalberry Lodge for a fabulous vacation.

• Stayed March 2014
#8 of 12 in Thornybush Private Game Reserve
Waterbuck Game Lodge
Waterbuck Game Lodge
#7 of 12 in Thornybush Private Game Reserve

Been to Jackalberry Lodge? Share your experiences!