All reviewstented campoutdoor showerwild dogsdry river bedgame driveslee anneother guestsluxury tentssafari experiencehis jobamazing experienceair conditioningmagical placedry seasonsabi sandslion sightingsmother nature
Reviewed January 15, 2015

This is a wonderful experience that I cannot rate highly enough. The accommodation is out of this world with wildlife roaming right outside. The view out to the river (or riverbed when it is dry) is amazing, with the possibility of seeing animals roaming freely. At night you listen to lions roaring from the safety of your bed. The meals are exceptional. 3 course gourmet dinners and full size lunches - but a sandwich is no problem if wanting something light. The chefs are eager to show off their skills and to please. Everyone is so friendly, right down to the security guards who escort you at night. They are there to make this a great experience for you. The game drives rangers and trackers are knowledgeable and passionate about their work - this is more than just a job, it is a lifestyle! The excitement shown by our tracker when he spotted a pangolin was infectious and genuine. Although we didn't get to go offroad (too much rain) we did get to see the Timbavati River forming - great excitement from all the staff, some of whom had seen it before but others it was a new experience - it was like a mini tsunami coming. The frogs that night kept us awake with their songs of joy! Don't be deterred by the word "tent" - this is luxury personified with all amenities included, hot showers or bath, screens on every window, comfortable king size bed, free same day laundry if required - even a well stocked mini bar (and if your preferred tipple is not there, just ask!) This is a "must do" if you're thinking of a safari holiday.

Room Tip: Ask for a river frontage tent.
  • Stayed: December 2014, traveled as a couple
4  Thank JoanF769
Reviewed January 6, 2015

By far the highlight of my stay in South Africa. All the staff here are brilliant, always so attentive and helpful. The staff definitely made our trip, we received packed breakfast and lunch or our day trip to Kruger National Park. They were always making sure we were comfortable and happy. The food was also amazing, many different options to try. My favorite was the ostrich burger with ostrich egg, it was fantastic to try something like this. The rooms are amazing, the beds comfy and and there was always something to do, a walk through the grounds being what we chose. There was even wifi which was a nice surprise in the main lobby. Cannot recommend this place more!!

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank Jake S
Reviewed January 6, 2015

Fantastic experience! Every detail covered! The ultimate luxury safari experience! We were here 3 nights -- Scott was our ranger, Ernest was our tracker, Oscar was our Swiss trained Chef. They created a once-in-a-lifetime experience for us.

Room Tip: Be sure to choose 'Tented Camp' vs the main lodge if you are a couple with no kids.
  • Stayed: December 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank DerrickB20
Reviewed December 14, 2014

Beautiful location with 5 star accommodations. The grounds are beautiful. The food was excellent. It was private... and quiet except for the lions roaring. There are resident wart hogs that are hilarious to watch, of course! Loved the outdoor shower.

Room Tip: Hmmm...pick a room....any room would be great!
  • Stayed: November 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Barbara F
Reviewed December 4, 2014

I have lost count of the times I have visited here and every time I come back I feel contentment.
The peace and tranquility is out of this world.
When I heard, just before we visited on this occasion, that it had been washed away by floods and rebuilt I was concerned that the essence of what made tented camp what it was might have changed.
I should not have been concerned. Despite the extra three tents, which I stayed in one Ngala tented camp was as wonderful as it ever had been.
The word tent does not cover the accommodation that greets you. Pure luxury, with all that you would expect.
The food was as good as ever and it was a delight to meet old friends such as Charles, one of the chefs, as well as Richard who had been my "butler" on previous visits.
The game drives continue to deliver an extraordinary variety of game, and have ever disappointed me. The driver/guides and trackers are skilled and knowledgable.
This was my nieces first visit to Afrcia and she agreed that Ngala was the best.
Words cannot explain why I find it so special but I would go there whenever I could make the time or pay the bill!
Once I stopped over at Ngala on my way to Sydney...... Well worth it then and again now.
This recent trip was planned about visiting Ngala, thank you once again to all the team.

Room Tip: All the rooms are built and equipped to the same standard. The communal areas are stunning as are the views over the dry river bed. When I was there one year during the rains we watched the water inch along the dry river bed and transform it from sand to water.
  • Stayed: August 2014, traveled with family