All reviews ngala safari lodge game drives wild dogs cape town watering hole water hole the cottages game reserve our honeymoon attention to detail south africa three nights many choices memorable experience private pool wonderful food dining area
Reviewed March 24, 2015

Wow wow WOW!! We were so so lucky. With "A" team ranger and tracker, Elliot and Arab, we knew we were in for a treat. But this was thrilling every single day and surpassed all expectations. I visited Ngala with 2 friends for 2 nights and we were truly spoilt by all the amazing hospitality and "surprise" events of the And Beyond team. Warmly welcomed and attended to by Stephen throughout our stay, we felt at home immediately. Excellent service from Moses and others and our Chef wearing the jacket saying "I am the Unique Ingredient" truly surpassed himself. Delicious food and served in different places. One night was a surprise drinks evening under the stars followed by dinner in an outside courtyard filled with lanterns. Breakfast with that awesome ham and all the preserves and cheese was sheer joy! Highlights of the game viewing included a pack of wild dogs attacking a small group of wildebeest who were protecting their baby. We then
realized that their second baby had been taken and was being eaten nearby by 3 large hyenas. Imagine our surprise when the dog pack went to attack the hyenas as this was their initial kill and had been stolen off them. The encounter that followed was something to see and hear. I was lucky to get video footage of this which my friends cannot believe. We also had excellent sightings of leopard, elephant and the usual wildlife expected in the Timbavati. I was told that the accommodation is being upgraded and that outside showers are on the new programme. The current rooms were really comfortable and well attended to throughout the day. The lodge enjoys a lovely view over a dam and has a very large swimming pool, necessary and enjoyable after eating so much delicious food. I must commend all who interacted with us - you made it the most memorable stay. Thank you all so much.

Room tip: Thatched individual rooms all along natural pathways. They offer couples private dinners on your verandah so if on a romantic break, choose a room furthest away.
  • Trip type: Traveled with friends
2  Thank jennygreeff
Reviewed March 17, 2015

This is my second time at an andBeyond property (I've previously stayed at Rock Lodge in Phinda) and I was definitely not disappointed.

All the staff at Ngala were super friendly, helpful, warm and accommodating. The lodge itself is quite small (maybe only 20 cottages?) so the setting is very intimate and cosy and you definitely feel looked after every second of the day.

I went with my boyfriend and another couple and we had the most amazing safari experience ever. Our ranger Jaben was phenomenal and not only did he find the Big Five for us (complete with all the baby Big Fives!) but he also showed us a zebra carcass being devoured by a pride of lions and took us through a chase with the wild dogs to (almost) see their kill of a group of impalas! He was super informative with all the questions we asked and really took the time to make our experience special. Our tracker Solly was equally as charismatic and we learnt about his whole life story and how he came about to be a tracker (if you get Solly, you must ask! He is fascinating!)

After every game drive, we were greeted back at the lodge with fresh hot (or cool - depending on the weather) towels and refreshing drinks and then a huge spread of breakfast/dinner awaited us!

I could not recommend Ngala more - it was worth every single penny and you get the complete safari experience with the offroad game drives, the meals, the service and everything in between! I really hope to be able to return back to an andBeyond property again!

• Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 16, 2015

Wow, we had a wonderful time at Ngala! Ngala is in the bush! The road to the camp was a real off road experience. Luckily we used my sons 4x4 vehicle! The lodge is located next to a dam and on the very first night we saw elephant drinking from there. There are a few resident bushbuck and warthogs roaming around the buildings. Chalets are very comfortable and after the scrumptious lunches it is a cool haven for a afternoon nap. The rangers and trackers are very knowledgeable and take the extra mile to search for animals that you wish to see. Jaben really did some bundu bashing and took us over real rough terrain to give us the best view of a female leopard.
After your early game drive a healthy breakfast awaits you and believe me you are hungry by that time! The staff are friendly and helpful and nothing is too much for them. I can recommend Ngala it was an experience of a life time! Thank you everyone!

Room tip: All roomsAll rooms will be fine no 19 nearest to dining area
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 12, 2015

Ngala was wonderful. Not only did we see all the Big Five on our safari trips, but we enjoyed wonderful times and meals with the staff. Mama Connie and our tracker Elvis were amazing, as were all the staff. My son and I were even invited to the local village, where we spent time with the villagers, toured the school and soccer field, etc. The only downside to the entire trip was the difficulty in finding a WiFi connection. (The travel date is inaccurate, but the real date wasn't available for selection.)

Date of stay: July 2014
  • Trip type: Traveled with family
1  Thank TheCarpeDiemTraveler
Reviewed March 12, 2015

Our first trip to South Africa, our first safari - and absolutely nothing will top this! Each member of the Ngala staff brought something special - first class and personable service, a smile all the time and wonderful food.

Our tracker Elvis is the best. He led us to see all the big 5, plus the fat 5, the ugly 5, and the beautiful 5 too!! Armed with only a walkie talkie and a tree branch, he fearlessly walked the bush for us, and right to every beautiful creature we wanted to see.

However, we cannot say enough about our ranger Jenni. She brought enthusiasm and expertise to each drive. She engaged each of us with her knowledge, but even more so connected to our kids (age 13 and 10) like we've not seen. Jenni made this safari for them; their own little excursion where they made their own plaster wild life tracks was truly above and beyond. She has sparked zoology interest in both, and has instantly become a role model.

Thank you to each and everyone at Ngala and to Peter C at &beyond for partnering with us to create a once in a lifetime experience; one though we hope we are able to repeat sometime again!

Room tip: Each suite at Ngala is meticulously set up and kept. You cannot be disappointed.
  • Trip type: Traveled with family