“'By the way there's an elephant outside your room'”

and 1 more site!
Gomo Gomo Game Lodge
Malmesbury, United Kingdom
“'By the way there's an elephant outside your room'”
Reviewed March 25, 2014

‘By the way there’s an elephant outside your room’ said Iwan, the manager, as he showed us to our room. The rooms are lovely & spacious and ours had a patio overlooking the water hole and sure enough there was an elephant just outside having a drink.

The Lodge is beautifully situated by a water hole and has plenty of animals coming to drink from the water (2 herds of elephants usually daily) baboons in a nearby tree, Egyptian geese, a heron, ‘go away’ birds, bright kingfishers and yellow weaver birds in the trees around the Lodge. In the evenings we ate under the stars in the Boma with a big log fire in the middle. The food was good, especially the breakfast just after the first game drive in the morning, but the main focus of the stay at the lodge is the amazing 3 hour game drives in the morning (wake up call at 5:15!) and evening.

Iwan (who is also a ranger) took us on our game drives with Nyathi who was our tracker during our stay; Iwan was so attentive and so determined that we should see as much as we could whilst we were with him and we weren’t disappointed. During our 5 game drives we saw elephants, kudos, rhinos, impala, lions, zebras, warthogs, giraffes, baboons, monkeys, ground horn bills and a leopard – we were so excited as it was the first time we had seen a leopard on safari before and we were even able to take a few photos before she/he stalked out of sight.

The rangers are on hand most of the time and are there to escort us back to our rooms at night and they also gave us a walkie talkie radio for emergencies. During the stay they make sure you have enough food and drink and nothing seemed too much trouble, especially for Iwan, I can’t praise him enough for helping to make our Gomo Gomo trip so special. I would thoroughly recommend Gomo Gomo as a wonderful safari experience.

We used 2 by 2 Holidays to arrange our tailormade tour of Kruger Park and the panoramic route and we were very pleased with their service and choice of accommodation and the prices were very reasonable.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the water hole.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank KT3131

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
australia
Reviewed March 24, 2014

Well I made it.... yes I returned to Gomo Gomo Game Lodge after almost a year. I was welcomed with a cool drink by Management and Staff.. Some new faces to whom I was introduced too. I had been assigned to the same hut as last year. It was just the same, so large, neat, clean, and what a view. I had no chance to put my feet up. I was ready to go. The excellency of this game lodge appeared not to have changed. I met other travellers from England, Belgium, Norway, Holland and Canada during my 10 day stay. I met up with staff I had met before, all with that Colgate smile and ever so helpful, and ready to join the fun with me. The food preparation was so healthy, and every meal gained a 'two thumbs' up sign, with a lot of other people giving the same sign. The whole lodge to me was still spick and span and always someone there, like Lizet and the two Deons to see if you needed any assistance. I met up with Caswell (tracker) again and shook hands with Ross a new guide. What a team what a pair. If "something" was hiding, it was not for long believe me. The drives were absolutely magical and wonderful, saw the big five throughout my stay. I came with my motto "expect the unexpected and you won't be disappointed", and I can assure you your never disappointed. The rates are very very reasonable. I would highly recommend this lodge and also recommend a longer stay, the animals are all here, again believe me. I have put this lodge in my Basket List for 2015.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
3 Thank janet074
Reviewed March 20, 2014 via mobile

If your are looking for the best lodge in africa. You just found it!

Gomo Gomo is the best lodge ive ever visited. Great food. Great staff great wild.

The staff. Ivan and Ross and Petro is great and friendly.

10/10

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Koen K
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 15, 2014

We have just returned from 3 nights at Gomo Gomo and are still sad to have left! We had a great experience, mainly due to our Ranger Dean and Tracker Dominic but also the wider Gomo Gomo team.

We were collected at the airport and transported to the lodge, we were lucky enough to see Baboons and Warthogs on the airport runway and then giraffe and buffalo on our way to the camp. Dean greeted us and provided us with a nice cool drink and showed us to the dam area to relax while we waited to check in. He then escorted us to our room, a nice spacious 2 bed (we had booked a 1 bed but this was the only free room - a bonus given we had 2 large cases!). Our room was very comfortable and had everything we needed.

Our game drives were excellent and a lot of fun, we were in a great group and had a good laugh (including having dung thrown at us by baboons!). Dean and Dominic worked well together to ensure we saw 4 of the big 5 and also the African Wild Dogs (one of which had an antelope's head in its mouth!). We didn't see a Leopard but Dominic and Dean did work hard to try and find us one and made up for it by finding plenty of relaxed Lions, a huge herd of buffalo in the middle of a stampede, rhino, elephants, giraffe, kudu, warthogs, lots of birds. We had a hippo in the dam and got to see it out of the water which was amazing. Dean and Dominic are very mindful of the animals and our safety, we were in good hands. The rangers across all the Klaserie reserve camps seem to work well together across the radio to ensure everyone benefits from one another's sightings.

The rangers work seriously hard at this camp, not only did they do our 5 am wake up call and our twice daily game drives, they servde at the bar, met guests, do transfers and check in etc. They work 4 am - 11 pm 28 days in a row and definitely deserve recognition for their hard work. They seem to genuinely enjoy their jobs which is nice to see.

The food was plentiful and there was a good choice, I wasn't very well due to side effects from Malarone and therefore wasn't eating but my husband was constantly eating and really enjoyed the food. The atmosphere was great, we ate at the boma on 2 nights and 1 night ate inside and the staff sang to us which was really nice.

This is a very reasonable, comfortable camp with excellent staff and game viewing, I would highly recommend it. It's a far more personal, intimate safari experience than we have had in the past and getting to see the Lion's on so many occasions was really special.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Gillian_George
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 3, 2014

We visited in January 2014 and as it was our first Safari we did not know what to expect but it was fantastic. The accommodation was in individual lodges which were excellent. Great welcome on arrival. We were introduced to our tracker Dominic and our guide Jonjon who we had for our 6 game drives. They could not do enough for us and their depth of knowledge extended to plants and birds as well as animals. We were fortunate to see all of the big 5 plus other animals and a pack of wild dogs. I would recommend this place to anyone the people there could not have worked harder

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
3 Thank Dai2013
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed February 22, 2014

We highly recommend staying in Gomo Gomo. The lodge was lovely and the game viewing was excellent, we saw all the Big 5 numerous times! The staff were fantastic as well, we will definitely come back!!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
3 Thank Stephanie575
Margate, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 10, 2014

We stayed at the Gomo Gomo Lodge for 5 nights in January 2014. The welcome we got when we arrived from the staff was very welcoming, our bags were taken to our room and we were offered a drink, as it was late we went straight into dinner and then escorted to our room. The room was clean and spacious and had a private balcony overlooking the water hole. The rangers Joss and John John did there best with the trackers to make sure we saw the big 5, and we did!!!.
If you want a safari lodge that is friendly, clean, with experienced rangers look no further than Gomo Gomo Lodge. The food was fresh and well presented. We highly recommend it and would like to thank them for a really magical experience and hope to return one day. John John if you read this have you spoken to godfrey about the brown zebra!!!!!.

Room Tip: Room that overlooks water hole.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
#5 of 14 in Klaserie Private Game Reserve
Kambaku Safari Lodge
Kambaku Safari Lodge
#3 of 17 in Timbavati Private Nature Reserve

Been to Gomo Gomo Game Lodge? Share your experiences!