‘By the way there’s an elephant outside your room’ said Iwan, the manager, as he showed us to our room. The rooms are lovely & spacious and ours had a patio overlooking the water hole and sure enough there was an elephant just outside having a drink.
The Lodge is beautifully situated by a water hole and has plenty of animals coming to drink from the water (2 herds of elephants usually daily) baboons in a nearby tree, Egyptian geese, a heron, ‘go away’ birds, bright kingfishers and yellow weaver birds in the trees around the Lodge. In the evenings we ate under the stars in the Boma with a big log fire in the middle. The food was good, especially the breakfast just after the first game drive in the morning, but the main focus of the stay at the lodge is the amazing 3 hour game drives in the morning (wake up call at 5:15!) and evening.
Iwan (who is also a ranger) took us on our game drives with Nyathi who was our tracker during our stay; Iwan was so attentive and so determined that we should see as much as we could whilst we were with him and we weren’t disappointed. During our 5 game drives we saw elephants, kudos, rhinos, impala, lions, zebras, warthogs, giraffes, baboons, monkeys, ground horn bills and a leopard – we were so excited as it was the first time we had seen a leopard on safari before and we were even able to take a few photos before she/he stalked out of sight.
The rangers are on hand most of the time and are there to escort us back to our rooms at night and they also gave us a walkie talkie radio for emergencies. During the stay they make sure you have enough food and drink and nothing seemed too much trouble, especially for Iwan, I can’t praise him enough for helping to make our Gomo Gomo trip so special. I would thoroughly recommend Gomo Gomo as a wonderful safari experience.
We used 2 by 2 Holidays to arrange our tailormade tour of Kruger Park and the panoramic route and we were very pleased with their service and choice of accommodation and the prices were very reasonable.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Gomo Gomo Game Lodge is a private and intimate Lodge situated in the prestigious Klaserie Nature Reserve, Greater Kruger National Park, with a common unfenced border. Our traversing area is approximately 6000 hectares (14800 acres) of the reserve offering guests varied landscapes with an excellent possibility of coming face to face with the “ Big 5 “ (lion, leopard, buffalo, elephant and rhino) and numerous othermammals and bird species in their natural habitat.Early morning and late afternoon / evening game drives are conducted in open 4 X 4 Land Rovers with well qualified and experienced field guides and trackers who will ensure an exciting and informative safari. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, South African Hotels and Agoda so you can book your Gomo Gomo Game Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Gomo Gomo Game Hotel Timbavati Private Nature Reserve
- Gomo Gomo Game Lodge South Africa/Klaserie Private Game Reserve