we were a group of 10, who spent two nights at gomo gomo. as the chief travel planner, i zeroed in on gomo gomo after extensive web research, emails and price/facilities comparison. we set out for gomo from berg en dal restcamp, and it was a long and exhausting drive. but all our weariness vanished the moment we stepped inside, to a warm welcome in gracious interiors.
the main lodge is reminiscent of a private home of the colonial era. the atmosphere is relaxed and cozy. we had two 2 br chalets and one regular one. they were all facing the watering hole which is the USP of gomo gomo. each had a private verandah, and was the perfect place to just idle away the hours, watching the drama of visiting wildlife unfold before you.
the french doors of the main lodge open to a deck and pool, shaded by a majestic tree, with comfy armchairs scattered about.whatever you choose to do, keep your camera handy..because there is so much happening at the watering hole..elephants, deer, crocodiles, guinea fowl and wild boar drop in casually for a drink, and you dont want to miss those moments!
the food is homely and tasty. the evenings have a braii around a bonfire, and there is a decent bar too.
but the high point of gomo gomo is definitely the game drives. our ranger was johann, and he and our tracker nachti made sure we had the most unforgettable time! johann carries the soul of a cowboy..and no game was beyond his tracking and wild west car maneuvres! offroading in the jungle in a 4wd 10 seater landrover was exciting enough, but the sheer variety of game we saw at extreme proximity was incredible. we completed our big 5 at gomo gomo thanks to johann! and saw so much else- including a pack of wild dogs- a highly endangered lot. in fact by the end of it, we were happily blase about elephants and giraffes, impala and wildboar, having seen so many of them! its also a unique experience alighting in the jungle for a hot cuppa tea or coffee and munching on muffins and biscuits, which are provided by the lodge and laid out on a table complete with a jungleprint tablecloth!
if you want sybaritic luxury and spa treatments in the middle of the african jungle, then gomo gomo may not be the place for you. but if you want a truly memorable safari experience in comfortable surroundings with a hint of luxury and lots of personal care, then gomo gomo is the place.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Gomo Gomo Game Lodge is a private and intimate Lodge situated in the prestigious Klaserie Nature Reserve, Greater Kruger National Park, with a common unfenced border. Our traversing area is approximately 6000 hectares (14800 acres) of the reserve offering guests varied landscapes with an excellent possibility of coming face to face with the “ Big 5 “ (lion, leopard, buffalo, elephant and rhino) and numerous othermammals and bird species in their natural habitat.Early morning and late afternoon / evening game drives are conducted in open 4 X 4 Land Rovers with well qualified and experienced field guides and trackers who will ensure an exciting and informative safari. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, South African Hotels and Agoda so you can book your Gomo Gomo Game Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Gomo Gomo Game Hotel Timbavati Private Nature Reserve
- Gomo Gomo Game Lodge South Africa/Klaserie Private Game Reserve