“Come to nThambo - it's amazing!!!”
Review of nThambo Tree Camp

nThambo Tree Camp
Reviewed July 1, 2011

I spent 3 nights at nThambo in June this year and, other than my first day when there was a lovely couple from Holland staying there, I had the place to myself. I was so lucky, it made my experience feel so exclusive, like a VIP. Jan and Isak were exceptional guides, so knowledgable and with an obvious love and respect for the bush. My accomodation was superb; I loved coming back to my hut, perched some 3 meters above the ground, so quiet, so peaceful(except when the hyenas kicked off one night - what an impressive sound!!). Every drive I went on yielded new treasures, new animals and new photo opportunities. I was truly blessed for the experiences I had during those 3 days. A special mention must also be made to SUNSAFARIS whom I booked this trip through. Natasha deserves an extra-special mention for her advice, guidance and attention to detail in everything she did, and her work ensured that I had the trip of a lifetime. Thank you Natasha, and all the gang at Sunsafaris.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled solo
3  Thank huxtapan

Reviewed June 27, 2011

We stayed at n'thambo for two nights as part of a week spent in greater Kruger. The individual attention devoted to guests by Jan and the staff is unparalleled as is the game viewing. The rangers are very knowledgeable about the wildlife and going on drives and walks with them is a real learning experience. We saw several leopards during our stay thanks to their tracking skills. The tree top chalets are fantastic, comfortable beds and no generator noises to drown out the sounds of the wildlife around. Similarly, the food was simple but excellent, a welcome change after the fare you get inside Kruger. We will definitely come again and would recommend n'thambo to anyone interested in a personal and unpretentious game viewing experience.

• Stayed: June 2011
2  Thank Trihard
Reviewed May 14, 2011

I stayed for 2 nights. I decided to walk on the 2nd day and we came across a leopard on a kill just outside the camp!

It seems the Klaserie is still undiscovered in the Greater Kruger, and we hardly saw another safari vehicle on our drives.

The camp is new and is beautiful. Canvas tents with thatch roofs - stunning. I like the eco-friendliness of the camp too - solar panels and they process used water through reed beds.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank Ianofsurrey
Reviewed May 12, 2011

what a truly wonderful experience, to be able to look out over your balcony to see elephants walking past is breathtaking, to be awoken at night to the sounds of buffalo's being chased by lion just outside your camp , heartstopping , and to be able to walk on foot to a lion kill , unforgetable.
thankyou isaack and enoch for making my stay here so enjoyable,exciting and memorable . i am still telling people about my adventures with you , hope to see you both again one day.
if anyone would like to see photo's, i have posted some of them on the wild wings safaris facebook page,which is who i booked my trip through.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank jeaniethomas
Reviewed April 6, 2011

We had a excellent time at nThambo even though we only spent one night. The Camp really does offer excellent value for money considering it includes all meals and two game drives per day. The Camp is small, intimate and perfect for those wanting to get away from the busier lodges. It is highly recommended to combine with Africa on Foot Camp, right down the road and specialises in Walking Safari's.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank CharlGrobler
Reviewed January 10, 2011

nThambo was an incredible first-time safari experience, and it has set the bar extremely high for all future safaris to be compared against. That is, if I can even bring myself to go to other lodges...

We were a group of 6 family & friends with some of us completely unprepared for the safari experience - we all still fell in love with nThambo and would rank it at the top of our memories on this trip. Speaking for myself, I came in spoiled after 4 weeks of staying in 5-star hotels and had to adjust to being in a "bush camp." Wasn't so sure I would make it after the first night lying awake listening to the animals in the bush with paranoid visions of baboons and honey badgers crawling into bed with me. But something clicked by the next morning and we all seemed to make 180-degree turns in attitude - suddenly being able to relax and appreciate the beauty around us and the incredible animals. Although this is a bush camp and fairly rustic compared to some other (expensive) offerings in the market, I think anyone with an open mind and an appreciation for nature would fall in love with this place. I would far rather come back here if i have vacation days in the future, rather than going to a more luxurious/commercial lodge.

some uniquely terrific things about nThambo were:
- terrific animal sightings IN CAMP! we had animals come right around the camp area daily, so that we would wake up to giraffe or impala herds, or have a lion saunter through during our dinner, or see an elephant eating grass by the pool during evening drinks. you really feel like you're IN the bush in the wilds of Africa, not like you're staying in some posh resort that just happens to offer drives through an animal park. if i had wanted that, i would've just gone to San Diego's safari park and stayed at their on-site resort...
- great homestyle food, always with fresh veggies & fruits. in keeping with the character of the lodge, they dont waste time with fancy menus or formal course-by-course serving, instead focusing on truly tasty food in a very cozy atmosphere
- 24/7 access to our guide (Jan), who was extremely attentive and patient and amazingly skilled at finding animals. because of the small size of the camp, Jan took care of just about everything and was always available to chat or answer our infinite questions (sorry for all our stupid questions Jan!)
- flexible about the activities. I wanted to do a walking safaris so they hooked me up with the sister camp Africa on Foot for a 3-hour walking safari one morning. Everyone associated with this company was so friendly and service-oriented and willing to bend over backwards to make your vacation the best possible.
- really cleverly designed treehouses. perfect blend of bringing the sounds of the bush inside while keeping cool at night (height of summer), also very clean and comfortably furnished

And last but most importantly, our guide/tracker/maintenance-man/alarm-clock/just-about-everything-else Jan was amazing! Could find animals with his naked eye that we had to search for using binoculars. Extremely calm and patient and kept us feeling safe even with 40 elephants surrounding the jeep. Most importantly, his genuine love and respect for nature and the animals is a lesson that we'll take home with us. It was something we noticed but took for granted until we arrived at our 2nd safari lodge, where the attitudes of the guides were so markedly different that Jan immediately became our go-to example of how one OUGHT to interact with nature. Jan, thanks a ton for teaching to us by example, and reminding us that despite the insanity/busy-ness of our everyday life, there are still refuges like this place to escape to.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with family
5  Thank melzzz
Reviewed December 8, 2010

As our first safari experience ever this was absolutely incredible, and made eveything we did afterwards look a bit dull in comparison. Courteney and Isak were really great, and made everything we saw; from tiny steenboks or francolins to lions mating or a leopard with her kill, be very exciting. We'll never forget when Isak heard a hyena and stopped the car, and the hyena walked up right in front of our car... nor the 300 buffaloes in our camp when we got up in the morning. Amazing.

The tree camp is great, rooms are clean, beautiful and modern - and the natural air conditioning very effective. Cecilia and the team prepared some delicious food, and we loved the bubbly we got in our room to celebrate our honeymoon. We drank it on the balcony watching the most spectacular lightning storm we've ever seen.

All in all I think we were really lucky to find this place, as there are sooo many options. It's a fantastic camp, but the people there, esp Isak, Courteney and Cecilia really make it special. We'll be back!

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
#6 of 15 in Klaserie Private Game Reserve
Klaserie Sands River Camp
Klaserie Sands River Camp
#3 of 15 in Klaserie Private Game Reserve

Been to nThambo Tree Camp? Share your experiences!