“Simply brilliant.”

Africa on Foot Camp
Petersfield, United Kingdom
“Simply brilliant.”
Reviewed April 27, 2014

I had reservations about the whole idea of safari;but this little place completely changed my view and our whole experience was one of my most treasured holiday trips. This was largely down to the staff,guides Matt and Francois, made us feel very welcome in the relaxed atmosphere but equally very safe under their expert guiding, which was like having your own personal David Attenborough to explain everything about the bush and it's contents.
I had worried about hoards of people chasing after some poor animals, in trucks, but this could not have been further from the truth.On foot, in silence, we felt a part of the surroundings and just encountered animals doing there own thing,with the quiet only broken by the amazing sounds of the bush.
Accommodation was very clean and well looked after but suitably basic and in keeping. Food was excellent again, local dishes lovingly prepared. The tension and excitement mixed with some trepidation when on foot in the bush was an intoxicating mix.But night drives meant you could get closer to large animals and feel totally safe.I highly recommend everything about this experience.
Top tip: get a 4x4 if you are driving there a normal front wheel car was completely inappropriate..

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Halmstad, Sweden
Reviewed April 21, 2014

I highly recommend this little bush camp with a very friendly and welcoming atmosphere!
My hut was simple yet nicely decorated, very clean, a very comfortable bed and I loved my outdoor shower!
There was a very nice lounge area and also a small but relaxing pool area!
The food was tasty and I really enjoyed everyone sitting down together to eat at the same table!
I loved the combination of early morning walking safari, where you see and learn about nature from a different perspective, and the afternoon drive where you are hopefully able to get amazingly close the animals. Felt really great with some exercise in the morning, and also very exciting to know that we were not the only ones out there........

Having a sundowner in the jeep while watching a big male lion walking just in front of our jeep was quite spectacular! Also I loved watching the elephants, both at foot at a distance and really close from the jeep.
I even woke up at night realizing that there was an elephant right outside my hut flapping his ears.......
I learned so much from our experienced, knowledgeable and passionate rangers. They very quickly put themselves at our level of understanding, always with a good sense of humour and great respect for the animals! Thank you Courtney and Fafa for making our stay such a great safari experience!!
Karin from Sweden

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank saskarin
surrey
Reviewed April 21, 2014

We travelled as a group of 5, with 2 smallish children (7 and 9). We chose to go to Africa on Foot because of their small scale, the walking safaris and their acceptance of children.
We were not disappointed, the stay was fabulous.

As other reviews suggest, the camp is not luxurious, but it is very comfortable nevertheless. Everything you need is there, and everything works fine. the rooms itself are furnished in a tasteful way. One of our rooms was the family room, which has a very convenient lay-out, with the children's beds in a separate partitioned part of the room. The absence of glass windows in the rooms adds to the atmosphere of being in the bush.

The game drives were good, with the rangers showing great skill in finding wild life and driving off road. We saw rhinos, wild dogs, lions and a cheetah to name but a few.
The walking safari was also very interesting. You learn a lot more about the surroundings (trees/plants), and it is very exciting to see the wildlife close by when it appears.We encountered a herd of elephants on foot, and you really appreciate their size when you are walking!

The food was excellent and we were well catered for. Great cooking overall.
As for the staff, this was the real outstanding point for me. People like Matt and Enoch did everything they could to make your stay interesting, and went out of their way to see wildlife. Matt particularly diligently answered each and every question of our children to give them a good understanding of the wild life.

Two other particular features: The plunge pool is great to cool off, especially if you are a child. It just gives a bit of entertainment during the down time between breakfast and lunch.

The treehouse. My wife and my son spent a night in the treehouse, which they thought was awesome (and frightening as well). Elephants were uprooting trees to the left and the right of the treehouse during the night, and hyenas were circling around as well. A memorable (but sleepless) night.

All in all a big 5 stars for the Africa on Foot team, I hope to return at some point.

Last word of advice: If you self drive, make sure you have a car with enough ground clearance, the last 5 kms of road are challenging to say the least.

Room Tip: Some have open air showers
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank mvanderh
Phalaborwa, South Africa
Reviewed March 25, 2014

this is the true reflection of what an african safari is about, in the middle of big 5 country surrounded by nature, is this truly nostalgic bush camp. staff well trained, professional, friendly and helpfull. Food excullent - well prepared and presented. activerties well conducted game drives and bush walks, sightings (maybe we where lucky) the best i have ever occured, leopard up close, lion walking next to the game viewer, just to name a few. guiding experinace very professional and informative they know the bush. what impressed me about africa on foot camp was the overall experiance and ambiance you get from the camp and staff, bond fire at night after the night drive, dinner around a camp fire, natural surroundings and wildlife, great photografic opportunities, hospitality of the staff. i will highly recomend this camp to any person that want's to experience a true african adventure safari

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank dgmcknight
Geneva, Switzerland
Reviewed March 18, 2014 via mobile

I highly recommend this camp as it helped transform our holidays in unbelievable memories. The guys did a great job and the feeling of having to look for the animals and track them down is just ...woooww. Very good food and a "family like" experience.

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank theCris_CrisS
Johannesburg, Gauteng, South Africa
Reviewed March 11, 2014

I had a 2 night mid week stay at AOF as part of a press trip and I wasn't too sure what to expect. I'm hardly a "roughing it" kind of girl and that was the very least of my worries when I got to AOF. The chalets are spacious, very clean (I'm OCD!) and well appointed. One even has an outdoor shower - so ask for it when you book if that's your thing.

The key differentiator with AOF as you may have gathered from the name is walking safaris - I didn't even know it was possible. It was great to get off the vehicles and stretch our legs for a change and talk about the "small 5" and other details you so easily miss when driving through - and it's completely safe!

The staff & rangers are incredibly knowledgeable and take it upon themselves to ensure you're getting the most from your visit - it's a very personal service experience. The food is great and the camp is child friendly too.

One of my favourite moments was when over dinner we heard a lion roar in the distance & we all piled into the Land Rover to find him (I wasn't optimistic - it was as dark as midnight out) and we did - absolutely majestic!

I loved the talks out by the camp fire every evening catching up on the day's sightings - bliss!

W

Room Tip: If you like an outside shower, request it when you book!
Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Wisaal A
Bray, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 1, 2014

Our two rangers, Darren & Matt, made this a truly unforgettable experience for us. Darren is a great front man, he always kept the conversation at meal times lively and had an answer for everything, plus he has a whacky sense of humour! Matt's passion for the wildlife and plant life was displayed in his in-depth knowlege of the interconnectivity of the bush eco-systems. He also has fantastic customer service skills and was very attentive at all times. Lads, we learned a great deal from both of you during our stay - thank you very much.

Whilst the accommodation is likely to be more basic than most people are used to, this added to the experience for us - what a blast having a shower under the stars and laying in bed listening to the elephants eating.

The dining and lounge areas were very comfortable and authentically furnished. The food was incredible and to be honest far better than we were expecting.

This is an unfenced camp with the potential for wild animals to roam through the middle of it, but despite this we felt totally at ease thanks to the professionalism of all the AOF staff.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
#1 of 19 in Balule Nature Reserve
Klaserie Sands River Camp
Klaserie Sands River Camp
#5 of 15 in Klaserie Private Game Reserve

Been to Africa on Foot Camp? Share your experiences!