We stayed at Buffalo Camp for 2 nights (4 game drives). After being on a tour with a large group we were very happy to stay in a small resort with only 12 other guests. (as opposed to the larger Kapama River Lodge which has about 150 guests).
The guest tents are very cool - just the idea of being able to stay in a tent in Africa was a treat. And it had a comfortable bed, nice bathroom etc.... Each night there was turndown service with chocolates on our pillows. In the morning we could sit on our little deck with a cup of coffee. There was kudu and nyala right in front of our tent each morning. We stayed in the buffalo tent which was very nice. I think the Elephant tent looked like it had the most privacy. And I would not recommend the Kudu tent as the view was obstructed. (i did not check out all the others). Despite my initial concerns we never had any critters in our tent. And it was wonderful to fall asleep with the sounds of the bush.
The food was very good. Not amazing/spectacular (in my opinion) but very good. (in south africa we went to some of the most amazing restaurants where food was presented like artwork, so perhaps I go a little spoiled prior to coming here). I did especially enjoye the desserts and there was PLENTY of food each day. I loved the outdoor BBQ grill evening meal we had. Drinks are not included in the price but they are put on a tab so you don't have to carry cash around which is very nice. Because it is so small, everything feels very relaxed and informal which we loved. Be sure and have a glass of amarula for an after dinner drink. The service and attention of the staff was excellent.
Our driver was Donovan and tracker was Charles and we felt they were excellent! This was our first safari and we were very happy with everything about it - we saw so many animals and Donovan gave us great explanations and education. He is young and enthusiastic and really went out of his way to make our drives fun and exciting.
I booked a treatment at the Kapama Spa which was very nice. It is about a 20 min drive over to the River Lodge compound - which was fun because it was almost like an extra game drive. After your treatment make sure you plan to spend extra time by the spa pool which overlooks a water hole frequented by the animals
The pool at the Buffalo Camp is cute but tiny.
There is internet access at the camp.
In summary, if you want a relaxing safari trip with a more authentic feel than staying in a fancy hotel, this is the place for you. We loved it.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Reminiscent of a traditional African safari camp, Kapama Buffalo Camp offers a unique and intimate experience in the African bush. It is ideal for discovering big game Africa in true safari tented style without compromising on comfort.Ten luxury build canvas tents, each sleeping two, are set on wooden decks built on stilts over a steep-sided riverbank. Wooden walkways interconnect the rooms, which are all in the upper reaches of tall riverine trees. The river below rarely flows and antelopes are seen daily walking along the sandy riverbed. Each tented room has all the usual comforts of electricity, en-suite bathroom, safe, writing table, wardrobe, low impact climate control, mini-bar and tea/coffee facilities. The communal areas of Buffalo Camp are on the riverbank, where gardens of succulent aloes and euphorbia are tended around the thatched bar, dining room, pool terrace and campfire. But the thick African bush is just a glance away, inhabited by animals like lion, hyena and jackal whose calls can be heard in the dead of night. Lanterns, rather than electric lights, glow at night under the trees, creating a special intimate ambience particular to Buffalo Camp.With a maximum of 20 guests at Buffalo Camp, special attention is paid to personal service and the staff become like friends. Kapama Buffalo Camp is a truly authentic way to experience the African bush. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com and South African Hotels so you can book your Kapama Buffalo Camp reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Kapama Buffalo Camp Hotel Kapama Private Game Reserve
- Kapama Buffalo Camp Kapama Private Game Reserve, South Africa