We chose Kapama's buffalo camp to have a quieter setting geared more toward couples than families. There were no more than 20 guests at a time during our stay. The "tent" was very comfortable; other than hearing the canvas roof flapping on one windy night there would be nothing to suggest that this was at all rustic. The room was very clean and comfortable and, except for the wind, very quiet.
The food was nice but didn't amaze us. I was concerned about other reviews that complained about buying beverages but this wasn't a problem at all. We drank what we want and settled up (a very reasonable bill) at the end of the stay. We did drink the tap water every day and had no issues whatsoever. Twice we got a ride to the River Lodge camp to use the gym and spa and lounge by their pool.
The game drives were excellent and we couldn't have asked for more from our guide, Almero. Almero is knowledgeable, entertaining, and truly passionate about what he does. Our trackers were Benson and Foster and they led us to some great sightings. The safari vehicles seat 9 guests but the Buffalo Camp vehicles never had more than 6 people, which was the perfect number to be comfortable and also have a chance to share the experience with other guests. We stayed three nights, which meant 6 game drives, which was perfect.
We highly recommend Kapama's Buffalo Camp and especially Almero. Thanks for a memorable stay!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Reminiscent of a traditional African safari camp, Kapama Buffalo Camp offers a unique and intimate experience in the African bush. It is ideal for discovering big game Africa in true safari tented style without compromising on comfort.Ten luxury build canvas tents, each sleeping two, are set on wooden decks built on stilts over a steep-sided riverbank. Wooden walkways interconnect the rooms, which are all in the upper reaches of tall riverine trees. The river below rarely flows and antelopes are seen daily walking along the sandy riverbed. Each tented room has all the usual comforts of electricity, en-suite bathroom, safe, writing table, wardrobe, low impact climate control, mini-bar and tea/coffee facilities. The communal areas of Buffalo Camp are on the riverbank, where gardens of succulent aloes and euphorbia are tended around the thatched bar, dining room, pool terrace and campfire. But the thick African bush is just a glance away, inhabited by animals like lion, hyena and jackal whose calls can be heard in the dead of night. Lanterns, rather than electric lights, glow at night under the trees, creating a special intimate ambience particular to Buffalo Camp.With a maximum of 20 guests at Buffalo Camp, special attention is paid to personal service and the staff become like friends. Kapama Buffalo Camp is a truly authentic way to experience the African bush. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Orbitz, Travelocity, Hotels.com and South African Hotels so you can book your Kapama Buffalo Camp reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Kapama Buffalo Camp Hotel Kapama Private Game Reserve
- Kapama Buffalo Camp Kapama Private Game Reserve, South Africa