On the drive to Kapama we stop at a view called Gods Window. The view was magnificent. Then as we came out of the mountains we saw a rainbow. Both of these were leading up to Kapama.
We were met at the entrance to the lodge with hot towels to refresh ourselves with. Then given a glass of juice. That was only the beginning. My room was delightful, from the king size bed, to the soaking tub with a picture window view of the reserve. The staff new you by name, even the women who cleaned your room. The meals were many, and great, with taste ranging from wart hog ribs, to sticky toffee pudding. You were assigned a ranger, who took care of you to the extent of driving you to another gift shop on your free time, or staying out later to show you the night sky and the southern cross. Thanks Dino, you were great. And then the animals. I was closer than I thought I would ever be. We saw and experienced them all.
In all my life, I will never forget Kapama. I came home and told my travel agent friend that it is a must. I would gladly put up with the 23 hrs of flying from Chicago to go there again. I would love one of their photography weeks.
The only thing I could not rate was the spa, because I did not use it.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Kapama River Lodge is situated within Kapama Game Reserve, and presents the perfect blend between luxurious safari accommodation and a generous bed capacity of 64 bedrooms. Although large, it is so stylish, roomy and beautifully positioned along a dry riverbed, that guests fall in love with it. Each spacious room at Kapama River Lodge features a full en-suite bathroom and terrace with uninterrupted views into the leafy-green Big 5 game reserve. The central guest entertainment areas include a large rim-flow swimming pool with sun umbrellas and recliners for lazy afternoons. The long L-shaped relaxation lounge and bar under a double-volume thatch, curves around the pool and on either side is a huge double-sided fireplace creating a wondrous open-plan yet cosy atmosphere. The Rhino Boma dining area with tables arranged under a low thatch in a horseshoe curve, has a central open space where a roaring outdoor fire gives a glow to evening meals. Buffet-style meals introduce African flavours with Pan African dishes using fresh local ingredients and specialist dishes. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Orbitz, Priceline, Booking.com and Odigeo so you can book your Kapama River Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Kapama River Hotel Kapama Private Game Reserve
- Kapama River Lodge Kapama Private Game Reserve, South Africa